Nugget Shooter Forums

Half a day of hunting!!! (pics)

Hello all,

With the new time change in effect and more sunshine in the day, I decided to take advantage of it. So I packed my gear the night before and was ready to roll as soon as the work day was over. I literally ran to my truck started her up and off I sped towards my favorite place to be, the mountains of northern N.M. After a brief phone conversation a friend and I decided to try an area we have not hunted before. When I arrived he jumped in my truck and we drove to an area where he had previously obtained permission to hunt. Happy to just be in the fresh air and away from the grind of the day was a great reward in itself!

When I was new to this hobby I use to sometimes lose sight of all the other great things that go along with it. The fresh air, the great friends, time spent with family, the wildlife, the blue sky, the green pine trees and the best part of all....the memories. Yeah the meteorites are awesome as well and please don't get me wrong, I love the meteorites too!!

Anyway, back to the story. I have never done this has of yet but I got my first find five minutes in! The first photo is my first find of the afternoon. I also found a few small pieces as well. My buddy found a very nice piece with a hole in it, lots of character as well. It was awesome weather not to mention we did not have to hike back to our vehicle with our old friend in tow " Mr Skunk" It was a great day spent with friends and also finding some nice meteorites!

Enjoy the pictures. may you all have the best of luck on your hunts!!

Bob, hey let me know when you are ready. Now that the days are longer, it is perfect!

First find of the day

DSCF0163.jpg

DSCF0165.jpg

IMG_1615.jpg

IMG_1644.jpg

Guest bedrock bob

Way to go Dean. I knew I should have taken you up on your offer. darn nice pieces and I see some good olivine. You the "Big Dog" now!

I have 1500 miles too put in before the weekend is over. Saturday my son and I will run the paystreak I found three weeks ago. Then it is back to the North for some beeping in the afternoons. Any day, every day. I'll call you Monday.

You almost got sidetracked on the weather today. The mountains in springtime! Man it is beautiful! The whole world GLOWS out there. The fish are biting, the trees are coming out, and you can almost drink that air. It tastes like adventure! If it was one degree warmer or one degree colder it would have been less than perfect.

Congradulations on the finds Dean, and a really big thank you for realizing what a priveledge it is to just be alive in this spot at this time of the year. You find treasure just stepping out of the truck. I dont think you have ever been skunked.

Bob

Aloha Dean,

That "first find" is a sculpture in its own right. You definitely have to find something worthy to display it from.

Great find and staging of the pics. Keep it up.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Hi Dean,

Those are some very artistic meteorites with cool-looking shapes. The one with the olivene showing is drop-dead gorgeous! Nice finds and good times. Thanks for sharing the photos with the forum.

Ben

Hello all,

Thank you for all the great comments!

Bob....Hey buddy, Thanks, we will hit it soon. I think we need to take some time and spend it on what we have been working on to the west. I think we can eventually do OK there.

Good luck on your adventure this weekend. I hope to see some pictures of you and your son along with your finds!

You sure have it right when you say a guy never gets skunked!! The outdoors is in my blood. My dad taught us right when we were youngsters. He also taught us along with the adventure comes respect while we are out hunting, hiking, fishing etc!! I would hope all folks who venture out will take every aspect of it to heart. If one just sits down for even for a moment and truly sees what is around us. This is why I enjoy this hobby so intensely! Thanks again my friend.

Del....Thanks man! You know I did not weigh these pieces. The funny thing is my wife did but I guess I was not paying attention!! Hope she doesn't read this.

Billy....Thanks for the kudos. I am glad you are feeling better from your ordeal. I got butterflies when you said you would have had to leave your wife to raise your son!! Don't do that again, your right it is not worth it!

Fred....Thank you! I also have a great time taking photos and messing with new ideas. I am still learning how to photograph the finds we make.

Kaimi....Gracias amigo! This is definitely one of my favorite finds! It has a lot of character in person. I think I am going to finally make a display for my meteorites. I will probably stick this piece on a Plexiglas with a neo on the end! Thanks for the picture kudos, this is part of the enjoyment for me. It sure takes my mind off of the grind while taking photos.

Bones....Thanks my friend!! You should see this puppy in the sun! And with a loop, It really is an amazing sight. All the time I keep thinking how this piece ended up in my hands and from the heavens to boot!! Wow, I am floored!

Jason....thanks!!! I keep saying that about Franconia, Gold Basin and the dry lake beds!!! At least now I can add Holbrook to my finds thanks to Ben, Erik and Nate!! I am sure you will find some nice ones in your future. With your experience, what are the limits...

Thanks all!!

Dean

Hi Dean,

Those are some very artistic meteorites with cool-looking shapes. The one with the olivene showing is drop-dead gorgeous! Nice finds and good times. Thanks for sharing the photos with the forum.

Ben

Ben!! Thank you, It is always exciting wondering just what the piece you are about to dig up will look like or what size it will be. Good times for sure. I will be out somewhere hunting in two weeks!!! I will let you know if I am down that way.

Del, hey I forgot to mention the first piece was covered with just a dusting of dirt and the second was about four inches deep.

Dean

Hello all,

I have been very busy and was unable to add the photos of the rest of the finds we made that day, Here they are, please enjoy them!

A few finds

DSCF0176.jpg

Roll over lip and flow lines

DSCF0179.jpg

Thanks everyone,

Dean

Dustin,

thank you, I appreciate the congratz.

Ben, thanks

how goes it? I have a lower end 35 mm camera with no special lens. I have just experimented with it and with different lighting. For this camera I have the best luck outdoors with the sun light and for some reason they seem to turn out better around 3-4 P.M. I have taken many, each time I go out I usually take about 30 pics on average.

I have tried indoor and outdoor photos, the indoor never turn out so good. I also borrowed my fathers expensive camera with all types of special functions (to many!) which I messed with for a couple of days. I choose the photos from my camera to post, go figure.

Dean