Nugget Shooter Forums

Greaterville tips for a new guy with a GMT

keitharmy

Greetings,

I'm heading out to Greaterville for the first time Monday. I have a White's GMT. I'm a member of DGD and GPAA so I can get on those claims.

Can anyone give me a push in the right direction? Which claim should I go to? What should I look for? Should I detect the gulches or ridges?

Any pointers you are willing to give me are greatly appreciated. I'm very excited about going out there but would really love some kind of direction :)

Thank you

Keith

Keith: While I'am a memeber of both clubs I have never visitedthe greaterville claims. I would call some of the members of the clubs and I am sure they can be very helpful to their members--good luck

Keith: While I'am a memeber of both clubs I have never visitedthe greaterville claims. I would call some of the members of the clubs and I am sure they can be very helpful to their members--good luck--maybe sunday someone on this forum will chime in with some good info.

Keith,

I have not been to all the DGD claims but of the ones I have been to Placer Pond is my favorite for now.

All claims no matter who's have been worked for over 100 years, the last 20 or so with MDs, you must be willing and able and analytical and put your loop where the guy before you didn't!

To me that means carrying a machete and clearing a path in cats claw, picking up and moving bigger rocks and raking whats rakable, reaching my loop under that nasty cactus, etc . If you don't have cactus spines working their way through your hands you ain't working hard enough.

Good Luck which ever one you go to and keep us posted, even the :skunkkitty2: .

Max

Hey Keith; I was out to Greaterville today and managed to get one nugget, about a DWT. All the claims have been beat to death but if you are willing to put the time in you will get some. You'll be better off up out of the gulches. The good ground is in the 50-50 but you can't work it. There's been some great gold come out of there its just a matter if you are willing to dig a thousand bullets. O, and don't forget the hundreds of shoe nails. Greaterville is about as trashy as it gets. Its been worked for a hundred years and that only means on thing, trash. Good look, and let us know how you do.post-4797-1237170548_thumb.jpg

Keith,

I have not been to all the DGD claims but of the ones I have been to Placer Pond is my favorite for now.

Has Placer Pond produced any nuggets for you? I was out there a couple weeks ago and found nothing but bullets, cans, and cow crap. Really pretty are though. Especially on the hills. I too am a new guy using the new guy's weapon of choice...White's GMT

Mike

Thank you Gentlemen for the tips and encouragement. I'm off to dig bullets and shoe nails at Greaterville. :postdigger:

I'll let you know how it goes and if any of those bullets turn out to be the yella stuff :icon_mrgreen:

Keith

Greaterville, day one with the GMT, first time to Greaterville. I got skunked.

We had a great time hiking around. We started at the base of Granite Mountain and hiked all up the Southeast face (I detected, rough going and not sure that's on the claim...). Then we went down into Sucker Gulch right at its "head waters". I must say the amount of ground is staggering. I worked the sides a little and looked for bedrock. Tried to get into some of the small feeders. Staggering. Everytime I turned on my machine and put it down I was getting a signal. I dug a lot of nothing. I'm still learning, I think hot rocks kicking my ass more then anything today, I didn't even dig that much thrash.

Next we went onto one of the DGD Claims. Here we got into Boston Gulch and (I think) we could see where some of the hydraulic mining had been done. Not much recent prospecting evidence that I saw. So we back tracked a little and got into Kentucky Gulch. Here we found a lode mine in the side of a small hill and bedrock in the creek. I went over the tailings from the lode mine, even racking some off the top. Nothing....

So we went over to the bedrock and I took some samples in about 4 places. There's some big holes out there. It looks promising and I can't wait to get out there with my DW.

As far as the detecting goes. Help! I felt like I didn't know what I was doing, where to look, hot rock or target, goodness. I plan on going back soon. Any pointers please? Better yet any guys with a little experience wanna go??? That would be ideal.

Thanks for all the great info and encouragment. I am a better student when defeated and humbled. I should be a great student with the prospecting. I'll get there...

Keith

I have the next 15 days off because we just had a son :) so if any experienced guys have any time available over the next two week and don't mind a youngster tailing you, please. I'm a good student

Keith it sounds like you covered a lot of ground Yesterday. I went back to Greaterville today . Not so lucky. You will find a lot of hot rocks at Greaterville. That is about all that I found today. I got there a 7:15 and left at 2:30 . I fought wasps all day, they were all over me. I probably wont go back this week, but if you want I will go with you next week. Silver Dog

Doug,

Yeah I think I "covered" too much ground. That might have been part of the problem. I went too fast and was too impatient....

Me and another MD will be heading out Saturday. He's very new at this too. It'd be great if you could make it. Or if that doesn't work. I'm going to try for next Tuesday also.

Keith

Hi Kieth and All

I've found hundreds maybe thousands of nuggets in Greaterville. I have found nuggets on all of the DGD and most of the GPAA claims. I'm not to sure of the claim names but most of the patches I've found have been beat up real bad. Many of the areas where you find minimul trash were our patches. If there's lots of old undisturbed trash and lots of old diggings those are good areas to be hunting. Greaterville is somewhat unusual in that nuggets can be found on almost any hillside , hilltop, drainages or fingerhill. Most gully bottoms are extremely trashy and have been worked many times in history. But the oldtimers couldn't make wages with the odd lone nuggets on the hillsides and most of those they would loose in the screening. Get away from granite mountain, unless ypur looking for specimens, were you want to be hunting is in the sediment layers further downstream. Especially areas that were all dug up by the oldtimers. Good Luck !!

Happy Huntin John B.

Hey Keith,

Yes, you definately covered way too much ground. You should be spending weeks in just one drainage.

John B. said that he found thousands of nuggets in Greaterville, now you know why you did not find any. He got them all :laught16: Except for the one I found a few weeks ago. :innocent0009:

Hunt slowly, concentrate and have fun. Bottom line, the more trash the less an area has been hunted.

Bob

Reading all this is so interesting. I like you Keith am very new to metal detecting. I recently purchased a GMT, have been going to Greaterville in my spare time, and like you, haven't found jack squat! I am experiencing what seems to be the same frustrations and motivations as you are experiencing. I'm trying to learn the strange alien language of the detector Always wondering if I am walking right over nuggets. I'm fiddling with the controls constantly as if some random new adjustment will make gold suddenly appear. Like you I went to the "source” with a buddy of mine, Granite Mountain, thinking that there should be more gold there since that is where it all supposedly came from in the first place.

John, your remarks are very encouraging while perplexing. Is there any geologic lesson I may glean from that will help me understand why sediment layers bear nuggets? I don’t doubt this is true, I have at least seen gold being panned at the last DGD outing. I know its there. I just feel lost out there. If its not too much of an imposition I’d like to ask you all some questions related to gold hunting in general.

1.) What kind topography rocks signify good ground? I keep thinking white quartz an A+ sign, but the ground varies so much from place to place. If gold can be found virtually anywhere in Greaterville, and white quartz is not really that evenly distributed, this leads me to believe the distribution of gold may not have to do that much with the distribution of quartz.

2.) For GMT owners: is there anything special to consider as far as adjustments or techniques go? I read somewhere that the V - S.A.T. was best dialed in at the highest setting when looking for gold.

3.) Why is Granite Mountain bad and sediment layers good?

4.) Does a particular method of scanning work better than another? I have been wandering around hills and gullies like a dog following a scent. My next plan is to be a little more organized, pick small area, and scan it back and forth in a grid pattern.

Sorry Keith if I hijacked your thread for a moment. I’ve been following this thread foe a bit and thought it ironic that we are learning the art/science of nugget shooting in such similar ways. I felt I needed to chime in.

Mike

:newb:

Greaterville for all you new guys and congrats to Al C for his nugget, he obviously knows what it takes!

Greaterville is a great place and has lots of history if you research it, the libarys at ASU have tons of stuff on it and other AZ gold towns.

I can only repeat John B,s advice. I have no GMT or other experince there except with Minelabs from 1800 to 4000 models. To me finding buried trash is a positive, it means John B. did not dig there :laught16: .

It sounds like all of you are trying to cover acres insteed of square feet, you have to slow down and really work an area. I grid an area, try picking a 10' x 10' square or what ever shape, move the obvious stuff, rake if you have to, stack big rocks, what ever it takes to get the loop on the ground. If you are not wearing out coil covers you are not doing it right, grid it digging every target, then go back over it again, then you can determine what the different signals are that your machine is giving you.

It takes patience! I don't have enough like a lot of people so that equals that my wife when she was stll able to detect wiped my butt 100 to 1 ( See Picture, 90% of that stuff came from one 200'x200' town site and was found with a Tesoro Lobo ST by her) the pic show the gold in the foreground, the coins range from new to 1865.

I know people who seldom ever get skunked even in a hammered area simply by patience and digging those ghost signals.

From the amount of area you describe covering in a day you will never master a machine or find a nugget unles you slow down, THEN when you do find one slow down MORE, grid that patch every direction moving that loop in fractions of " not feet, you are not whacking weeds! Look where the other guy did not.

My opinions only!

One more thing, the people I know that find nuggets, their detctors are held togather with duct tape! :headphones: :laught16:

Good Luck

:outtahere:

Max

post-7251-1237372534_thumb.jpg

Ok Nubbie people;

Here are some basic ideas to consider:

Read your instruction manual at least three times from cover to cover.

Carry the manual with you until you really understand the detector. Refer to the manual often...

Use a medium sensitivity setting or lower...not the highest.

keep your sweep speed slower to start and keep your sweep at a constant height from side to side-don't be a weed whacker!

Get a small test nugget (or small split shot) and practice finding it on the ground and in the ground...don't lose the nugget! (I did once...it is easy if you ain't very bright.)

Join a club or accompany an Elder from the Church of Prospecting and other Heavenly Activities...someone that knows your machine is best.

Get some good reference materials...Jim Straight's books come to mind as some of the best.

Now, go do as others have said...pick a good area, dig everything, slow down, pay attention...most importantly..HAVE FUN!

Hey MR B...how ya doin'?

Fred

Max.

Pretty impressive table full of stuff........ can't believe you found not one but two sets of brass knuckles!

When I first started out in electronic prospecting, I had a white's goldmaster. After two years I totally gave up due to finding hundreds if not thousands of hot rocks. Never did get that machine to do anything but find junk in parks. I totally understand your frustration, but newer VLFmachines I am sure are better than what we had 20 years ago.

Best advice has certainly been given... slow down and concentrate!

Steve,

One set of them was new, alluminum, the other is real brass and hand made, you can plainly see the file marks.

The concho you see was also hand made from a silver peso. Some of the coins are like mint and are from 1864 to 1869 both Mexican and US which exactly matches the years the gold rush was on at that spot.

it was on private property and had never been detected, the town had been washed away years ago and the site is regulary flooded so there is modern trash washed in from residences up stream.

Lots of gold there but the whole area has been hammered in the last few years since I first went there.

First place I ever saw gold just laying on the ground after a rain.

Among the items is a set of militarty type buttons that have a crossed pick and shovel and what looks like a blanket in the back ground, no one has ever ID them. I'll attach some pictures to get you droouling!

Max

post-7251-1237415988_thumb.jpg

post-7251-1237416019_thumb.jpg

post-7251-1237416046.jpg

post-7251-1237416110_thumb.jpg

Hi Newbe Mike and Kieth.

Here's my take on the nuggets in GV. I've spent alot of time there and done very well . The Granite mountain vicinity was the probable source for most of the placer deposits in GV. They were deposited millions of years ago and distibuted around the area by water . I have found a few small nuggets in the vicinity of granite mtn but mostly lots of quartz pieces with a small show of gold. Yet you can find comparable gold quartz miles east of Granite mtn. Oddly you can walk up a hill and find 2 nuggets side by side seperated by a few feet and one will be pounded up and rounded like it was in a tumbler. The other may look like it fell out of the lode last week and very coarse looking . In theory gold won't travel far from it's source, but in reality it will travel a considerable distance in it's host rock then as that rock weathers will become liberated. Since most lodes show the highes values at thier surfaces were the gold perculates up and enriches. Those lodes are long gone and only rements remain giving mother nature plenty of time to spread her wealth around. Most of the better areas to nugget shoot are at least a 1/4 mile from granite mountain down to way below kentucky camp. A word of warning ,Kentucky Camp and the fenced area around it is off limits to prospecting and are stricly enforced. I have found nuggets as low as the corrals in Succor/ Louisiana gulch and similar in ophir, las posas ,colorado, empire Boston and side drainages to fish. The biggies seem to be in the deeper sediment layers found well away from granite mountain as evidenced by the extrdinary amout of old time diggings many well up the hillsides, hilltops and fingerhills. The oldtimers were looking for old stream channels were the gold was realativly shallow and accessable with minimul work that were left high and dry by stream course changes. Oddly most of the hillside and hilltop gold was all very shallow usually within the top foot of soils. Good indicators that a hillside is carrying good gold was the diggs on all the shallow drainages going up the hill. If I tell you anymore tips I won't have any gold left to go get when I get the urge !! Good Luck !! Happy Huntin John B.

John B,

Sounds like that area has been tossed around a little.You got placer thats been placed eons ago in the benches, most of which have probably not been worked, plus you got small veins that are still in place.

It is cool how the smaller veins contain more gold in solution than the larger structures.

I'm no geologist, but it sounds like an interesting area.

Happy Hunting-SteveT