Nugget Shooter Forums

sd2100 questions

Guest bedrock bob

Guest bedrock bob

After giving it some hearty testing I have a couple of questions that I want to pose to the forum.

First of all, on my sd2100 I have a "tuning" knob designed to reduce interference. Out in the field there is very little... I am assuming the "morse code" signals that come from Satan's cell phone is what you are referring to as "interference". Anyhoo, I try the "waist high turn 180 degrees" thing and I cant really tell any difference. Also, no matter where I turn the knob it does not seem to do a darn thing one way or the other.

Three questions -

The "interference" is the morse code beeping that I occasionally hear? At my home it is MUCH worse, but still no specific direction.

Dont they mean 360 degrees turn rather than 180? (they may only have 180 degrees in a circle Down Under. I heard that the toilets flush backward)

And why dont that knob affect the interference no matter where I set it?

Also, the language. I am fluent in beep, zip and zap, both Whites and Fisher, but this Wee-Woo-Waa gibberish is tough to decipher. It says wee-woo means a small target (usually) and woo-wee a big one. Still I get wee-woo on my pick and most targets, but a woo-waa or a waa-wee on a hotrock. What the woo-waa-wee does all of it mean? Will someone translate please? I am afraid that it may be laughing at me, but I can't really tell.

I do know that is one stable and deep seeking unit. In air tests it is not that much better than the bug, but on the ground it is amazing. I havent dug a false signal EVER. Not even a burned out tree stump yet. I picked up the GBII again the other day and I could hardly stand it. I never thought that I would say that about the bug but the sd2100 is a very smooth ride. I just cant seem to decipher what it is trying to tell me about the target with all of the wee-woos.

Bedrock Bob

LoL you sure made that into a funny post. I hope you get some help with your wee waa!

Guest bedrock bob

Man you have to have a sense of humor to walk around in the desert with a clear channel radio station strapped to your chest listening to that crap all day. The freaking thing has a mind of it's own...Some sort of sinister presence. I decided to skip the snake guards and invest in a lead jockstrap. You cant be too careful these days and I still have a few plans for the boys.

One thign for sure it will find the metal. It is like a dowsing rod...you just let it go and it almost walks itself. It needs a name but I am afraid it wants to be called Lucifer. My dog wont get near it when it is turned on, and as soon as I switch it off he goes over and sniffs it to make sure it is dead. He dosent mind the Gold Bug at all, but that Minelab has mojo or some darn thing.

Freaking voodoo magic man. A hurricane in a bottle.

After giving it some hearty testing I have a couple of questions that I want to pose to the forum.

First of all, on my sd2100 I have a "tuning" knob designed to reduce interference. Out in the field there is very little... I am assuming the "morse code" signals that come from Satan's cell phone is what you are referring to as "interference". Anyhoo, I try the "waist high turn 180 degrees" thing and I cant really tell any difference. Also, no matter where I turn the knob it does not seem to do a darn thing one way or the other.

Three questions -

The "interference" is the morse code beeping that I occasionally hear? At my home it is MUCH worse, but still no specific direction.

Dont they mean 360 degrees turn rather than 180? (they may only have 180 degrees in a circle Down Under. I heard that the toilets flush backward)

And why dont that knob affect the interference no matter where I set it?

Also, the language. I am fluent in beep, zip and zap, both Whites and Fisher, but this Wee-Woo-Waa gibberish is tough to decipher. It says wee-woo means a small target (usually) and woo-wee a big one. Still I get wee-woo on my pick and most targets, but a woo-waa or a waa-wee on a hotrock. What the woo-waa-wee does all of it mean? Will someone translate please? I am afraid that it may be laughing at me, but I can't really tell.

I do know that is one stable and deep seeking unit. In air tests it is not that much better than the bug, but on the ground it is amazing. I havent dug a false signal EVER. Not even a burned out tree stump yet. I picked up the GBII again the other day and I could hardly stand it. I never thought that I would say that about the bug but the sd2100 is a very smooth ride. I just cant seem to decipher what it is trying to tell me about the target with all of the wee-woos.

Bedrock Bob

Bob,

your post is freaking hilarious!! I can not stop laughing, Ha Ha because you are hitting the nail on the head. Ha Ha can't stop sorry Bob! OK, lets get together on a Sat with your pot of coffee and creamers. You bring the Gold and I'll bring the iron meteorites, and other items. And I will bring my body to drink up the great pot of coffee you make.

I swear there is an area very near to where we hunt that when we are there, the batteries on my camera, my cell phone and my GPS get drained at an alarming rate!! Yeah must be Satan's drain or the Soldiers who died in the area we are near are draining them as well. So bobby don't name your detector Satan the destroyer! It is the area and the history behind it that brings your SD 2100 Hell Lab to life, I mean MInelab. Bobby, good on ya buddy to bring this stuff up. It is a good idea to ask for help. I could use some too. Still laughing!

Dean

Bob you're freakin hilarious! :laught16:

Keep working with that 2100 because you will love it when you get used to it. In time it will earn a nickname. :headphones:

Del

Minelab PI's do speak a language of their own. Once you understand it it is really pretty simple. One of the ways to learn is dig every target and connect with the sound it has made. Did you get the instruction book with this? If so it really is a wealth of knowledge. If you do not have one, try contacting Minelab for a copy.

The different sounds can certainly help identify what the hurricane in a bottle is saying. The Hi-low (wee-ooo) tone is certainly the best, it is telling you it is seeing a non ferrous target, but that is not always true because small iron like a boot tack. an aluminum pull tab or piece of iron wire can make the same sound. Once again, dig every target.......

Experience will certainly be the best teacher unless of course you can find an already experienced teacher. One "mod" that you should get is a signal amp...........

I cannot tell you about the procedure for setting up(tune and ground balance) a 2100 because I started with 2200's myself and never worked a bare bones 2100.

A good friend of mine used his backyard as a permanent test bed. He buried a nugget, a silver dime, a boot tack, a pull tab and some other stuff.

EMI Interference can come from known sources like a power line and mysterious unknown sources. Sometimes it just cannot be tuned out. If you do the 180 and there is no difference, then just tune it any direction. I really don't know the source of all interference, but aircraft, solar flares, might cause some of it. When I was in Brazil, just about everyday when the sun was overhead we would start to get a crazy warble in the threshold. Even with my 4000, it was difficult or impossible to tune out. I'm thinking it was the sun and or the extreme heat at that time of day.

Persistence and time in the seat will get you there........

Guest bedrock bob

Thanks ElDorado.

I dont have any problem ground balancing or any of that.

Wee-Woo= Nonferrous, iron junk, boot tacks, picks, fingernail clippers, silver conchos, small silver shot, sluggy gold nuggets.

Woo-Wee = Rusted iron cans, hot rocks, railroad tracks, big iron meteorites, copper alloy token, silver spoon, silver bullion (larger and wrinkled),crystalized nuggets, rich gold ore.

I cant establish any pattern or discernation to the Wee-woo or the woo-wee that would give much inkling as to what type of target it may be, other than this;

Wee-woo = small, smooth, conductive...But maybe not

Woo-wee = larger, rusted, rough surface or profile, mineral, semi conductive...But maybe not

It is not that it would matter because I always have dug all targets, but it seems that the PI with the Wee-woo-waa gives you a lot less description of the target than the VLF with the beep-zip-zap. I have learned the subtle diffrence between the woo-waa of a hot rock and a woo-waa of a rough piece of conductive metal, and I can avoid digging all but the strongest hot rocks by ear. I was just wondering if the machine was a little more articulate than that, and if some of these PI pros could help me speak Woo.

And the 180 degree thing again. 180 degrees is one half circle. If I hear interference I am supposed to hold the coil waist high, and turn 180 degrees? One half circle? It seems logical to turn all the way around in a full circle to see which direction the interference is coming from que no? Even so, I cant tell much difference.

I get a warbly pulsating threshold sometimes, especially when the battery is getting low, but I am not calling that interference. It dosent seem to affect target response, and I aint lookin for tiny ones, so it dosent bother me. The "morse code" beeps under the threshold from whatever source is what I am assumiing is interference, and this is what I cant seem to affect by turning in any specific direction or turning the knob any amount from one stop to the other (20 turns). The book says "small increments" so I have adjusted it 1/8 turn at a time in every concievable direction, under powerlines, under radio translators, below microwave stations, on the highway, under a powerline, and I am not making sense of the tuning directions at all. Either that or the tuning knob dont work. That is what I need a pointer on.

I have an amplifier on the machine and it does help with the small targets. It took me a while to get the volume coordinated between the amp and the headphones. There is a lot of amp noise in the background, but it does boost the signal. It definitely adds to that "clear channel radio station" effect under the headphones. I the amp hums, and then the machine hums. Then there is the Woo. And the Waa. And the morse code signals that cant be tuned out. Kind of freaky.

Bob

Bob, G'day mate. I know what the problem is. Easily solved...*nods*

You need to understand Minelab - "Down-under-ism" which is an old archaic ( in comparison with the rest of the Globe ) language,

kept pure by distance and inbreeding. ( Mainly in Aussie ...apologies to Johno..*lol* )

The night before the hunt, drag out the barbie, hiff some snarlers and shrimp on it, pull out the Bundy OP and crack a few

4 X's, and she'll be beaut. Drink to excess and blame all your ill's on Colonial mistreatment at the hands of the POMs in the 1800's.

( you have to "feel" the place where Minelabs are born you see...)

In the morning when you awake, you should feel like you've been mown down by a road-train on the Nallaboor plains and your mouth

as if you've been licking the dog. You are now ready....

Head out to your favourite patch and turn the 2100 on. Now it should sound like this...

Nail: "Nahhhhh mateeee sheeees a crockkkkkk"

Pull-tab: "bloodyyyy oattthhhh I neeeed a tinnieee"

Gold: "Crikeyyyyyy youreee on the moneyyyy cobberrrrr"

Go forth Grasshopper.....

HH - Johnny

Bob, 180 is all the circle you need because the interferring signals will be recieved by the coil from the top or the bottom, however 360 makes more sense to most, unless they get dizzy easy...you aren't blond are you...? Do you have an older 2100 that requires a screwdriver to adjust? If you do then it has a load of turns and you will have to turn the tuner from one end to the other...then back up and find the best spot...

Adjusting from vlf signals to the horrible noises of a Minelab was and still is weary-some...but they do sniff out the deep goodies...good luck

Fred

Hey Bob,

I have the 2000 and have the same issues with the morse code but only if I am within 200mtrs of another detector or within 400mtrs of powerlines... Its anoying because you get the woo wha ditty ditty thing happning and then go into a marching thing and start hearing diddy dum ditty doo,, she looks good, she feels good ... doo wah ditty ditty dum diddy dee....... I know it blows my concentration. I am still looking for my illusive first nugget but i reckon before I know it she'll be standing next to me going doo whaa ditty ditty.... What I am trying to say I spose it that I know its noisey and I am still trying to distingush what shes tellin me and I am still digging hot dirt, I am finding plenty of charcoal, nails, and bullets but I know that one day I will dig what i think is a hot rock and it will be a dark blonde nugget. I have read about this sorta sht happnin all the time around here (Ballarat Australia) I have tried the steel wool trick and it seems to helpk and I have also noticed that if I have either of the CB radios on in the truck it will distort what I hear if I am within 300mtrs, The threshold dosnt seem to do anything except change the volume and if it gets too bad I tend to just double sweep everything and if the woo wha ditty ditty has moved i just keep on going.... I hope all this makes a bit of sence, If not just crack a tinnie and keep marching to the beat..... Woo Wha ditty ditty dum ditty dee...........

:innocent0009: :woohoo:

The wee-woo like El Dorado said is the that sweet sound that you want to hear. With that said some gold will give you the woo-wee. The woo-wee from what I have dug up is the large round slugs that look like a ball. So dig all targets no matter what they sound like. As for a couple of tips 1. I notice that gold will give you a fast signal we-wo as the older iron with lots of carbon will give you a longer signal wee-wooo. Same with bullets a bullet fully in tact will give you a long signal and one that hit a rock that exploded will give you a fast signal too. You want to listen very close to your threshold as well. There are a lot of deep nuggets that I have pulled where you don't even get a signal all you will get is a break in the threshold. Anything out of the norm dig you never know what your gonna pull out of the ground. Hope this helps a little.

Cookie, bugger that. I think if my lab was doing that, I'd sit under a tree, crack the chilly bin and pull a cold one.

Let the wife hunt around while I seek solace in a 4X Tinnie. Mind you....I won't find much that way.

Bugger....

HH - Johnny

Cookie, contrary to what many will suggest...use a DD coil, at least until you get accustomed to that 2200...and dig it all...

My first trip to Oz in the WA I dug several holes that turned out to be hot soil...I still wonder if in my ignorance and inexperience if I passed up some deep ones because I was still expecting vlf type signals...

too late, now.

Fred

Guest bedrock bob

You guys are geat! That reinforced my suspicions about the Minelab. Not only is there some VLF/PI translation to be done, but there is an Aussie/Comanchero syntactical crossover that needed to be figured out.

I went to the detector shop in Espanola and told them my problem. they suggested yet another add on to the detector besides the Li Ion battery pack and the amplifier. It was the "Raul Rubalcava Signal Mexicanizer". It works Chingon!

Instead of the Aussie gibberish that it was spewing before, it now speaks a tight mix of Castillian and Spanglish....

Nail: = Pincheeeee Clavooooo

Pull-tab: = Nadaaaaa Abajoooo

Coin = Anocheeeee Cervezaaaaa

Small gold nugget = Ayyyyy Jodido!

Big gold nugget = Y Juela Chingaaaaadaaaaa!

Not only is it understandable now, but it also gives the customary "Weee-Wooo" on a bleached blonde, a bag of weed, or a Bud Light.

Then amplifier wires on to the box with a piece of bailing wire and taps into the power cord via a set of alligator clips. It even has a flashing purple button that will engage a hydraulic ram and make the unit "jump" when it "Weeee-Wooo's" on the blonde. It came with a coil cover that sports dingle balls and a chrome chain link pole.

I am styling now Vatos! Thanks for the advice!

Bedrock Bob

Bob,

I'ts the hydralic ram that's screwing every thing up!

The blonde can't help it!!

The bag of bud and the bud lite might have something to do with it though!! :Huh_anim]:

I might be wrong,I usually em.

Smoke on!

SteveT :coffeetime:

Guest bedrock bob
Bob,

I'ts the hydralic ram that's screwing every thing up!

The blonde can't help it!!

The bag of bud and the bud lite might have something to do with it though!! :Huh_anim]:

I might be wrong,I usually em.

Smoke on!

SteveT :coffeetime:

Since we are on the subject....

What does a blonde in Espanola and a crashed 747 have in common?

A black box!

One more because I just cant resist....

The New Mexico quarter has been recalled. Designed in Espanola by a famed New Mexico artist, the new quarter will not work in most vending machines so it is being recalled. It seems that the two dimes and a nickel taped together with duct tape will not fit through the small slots on most machines.

Oh, O.K. One more....

What does a maiden in Espanola wear behind her ears to attract a Lowrider?

Her heels!

And since I am on a roll I will give you my very favorite...

How can you tell a true new Mexican?

The tires on the roof of his "trailer house" have more tread on them than the tires on his '62 chevy.

Had enough? No?

Are you happy to see me or is that a chile in your pocket?

O.K. Enough.

Hey, the weed has been as good as legal here since the rest of the world decided to ban it. It is a way of life. I wouldn't suggest getting caught with any here though because they can give you a TICKET for that stuff. crap, the State is growing and distributing it now that Obama got in office. Check it out in the news! They are licencing their first grower this week, and guess where the farm will be at? Yup, ESPANOLA!

So, in the diificult days to come, keep your powder dry, your soil moist, and sing the words to La Cucarracha!

Bedrock Bob

Guest bedrock bob
Nota Roberto,

Que haciendo en esta machina. Wee woo? Y juesu!

Benito

Benito,

Su espanol es bien! Cuanto lenguas tu habler? Yo no lo sabe la palabra "juesu". Lo Siento. Como te llama esta palabra in engles?

Este machina es mejor, pedo tiene preguntas Maestro! Ayud por favor!

Bedrock Beto

Oye Roberto,

Tengo solamente ingles y espanol, no otras. As far as your 2100, are you running on just program 1 or 2, or are you balancing in both and running in that position. I always dig woo-wee AND wee-woo. With my old army-green SD2100, if I'm over junk iron or larger ferrous targets, I get a staccato machine-gun-like sound. Sometimes the deep gold sounds will only be a soft, barely audible wave, in a monotone threshold (en la tierra pedragosa - ya venta ya).

Ben

When the outside EMI gets to bad switch to a salt coil. They don't go as deeeeep but will cut the EMI. I do some detecting in urban area's and it works! The deeper I want to go the larger salt I use. On my 2000GPM when switched to mono the salt is super hot with small BB size targets.

Hi Bob,

You have to realize the Aussies built that ML and you must also realize the Aussies have a strong vocal accent when compared to us. So, it is only natural, their detectors have a similar accent or at least, a unique accent. Now, once you fully understand Aussie-eze, you should be ok. At that point, you should be at least, tri-lingual and the detector sounds will make sense.

Personally, I think the Aussies built the ML's to detect alien spacecraft and their conversations between ships. So, once the detector begins it's strange conversation, you might want to look overhead to see what is up there. Hopefully, the aliens will have forgotten to cloak their ship. Keep in mind, a short noise burst could simply be a sun spot with gas.

Reg