Nugget Shooter Forums

Here is a link to the BLM Claim Mapping page. I hope this helps people find some new spots without stepping all over someone elses claim. Messing with someone elses claim can be dangerous or land you in a heap of trouble.

BLM Claim Mapping Page

Just remember that the geocommunicator is far from accurate.

Guest bedrock bob

It is a cool tool. You can make some good assumptions if you compare the LR200 records with the geo communicator tool. It really makes research a whole lot easier. Besides, you are getting a very good idea of how the BLM sees the area legally. I used it this year to identify a junior claim that had been placed over mine, yet not staked on the ground. It is the closest thing to a graphic land research program that you can get for public land.

Many states and counties have a good GIS system that will give you private landowner info much like the geocommunicator. In Texas the oil pipeline land researchers have a great system that has every title in the state in the database and updated each 30 days. There is a big push to enter all states info into a grapic program like it for governmental use. It would make research a snap for a gold or meteorite hunter.

Bob

El Dorado,

You are CORRECT in saying that it is far from accurate. In fact, if you use only this tool to locate your new claims, I promise you will be trespassing on someone soon, maybe before the sun goes down. The BLM even states that the tool is in some cases several years behind. I have four legal claims, that are marked on site, location markers in place, corners marked, filed with the recorders office, filed with the BLM, maintenance fees paid (not a small miner's waiver....but actualy maintenance fees paid, because I don't trust the small miner's waiver as holding up in court). Yet, none of these claims are listed on the Geo Communicator. They are listed at current on the LR 2000.

If you want to check out a location to see if you will be trespassing, you better get down to the county recorders office ASAP. Otherwise you could find yourself in some big trouble. As the economy continues to slide, and the price of gold continues rise, more and more new prospectors will strike out in search of their riches. Beware of the land on which you tread and make sure you are not on claimed property. As the economy continues to slide and gold continues to rise, more legitimate claim owners will become more and more possessive of their claims that they legally and rightfully own the mineral rights to, and will defend them more aggressively against trespassers. Just my :twocents:

Coach Luck

You can use it in reverse also. I have found more open area with it by looking at a claimed area then comparing it to the LR2000. I find the geocommunicator marks off a much larger area than the actual claim size. Just a hint. This does not work in areas with many claims nearby each other but if a few are isolate you need to realise the area marked off on Geo does not exactly correlate with the size/shape of the claims.

Thanks all,

The added info you put on here helped me out also. I was posting the link for BLM here because I heard a few people in the Rands Mining District have had alot of people tresspassing on their land. With the way the economy is (like most here have stated) people are trying to find their share of the Mother Lode with no reguard to others property or rights. I hope that the tools posted here help people to research before finding out the hard way.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, I've been lurking here for a while, checking out the tales and valuable knowledge of the experienced. I have chosen to put my first post here because I want to thank freelancer79d for posting the link with a subject line which caught my eye. Yeah, this site is mentioned in a few older threads, and I've stumbled across at least one. But this was right on p. 1 for me. I have been using the link every day now for a couple of weeks. Wow! I've been having fun doing the research which the site allows.

Homefire, while the site may not tell one what was claimed as the mineral or ore, I get a feeling that something claimed by US Pumice is not a gold operation, and that something in the Lead File might indicate lead as the primary metal. But I'll check that further when I get out in the field.

Anyhow, thanks freelancer79d. This link is page one material for greenhorns like me.

Knowitall2b

I really feel safe ,with your knowledge ,of the geo communicator.

Lead file,lead as in lead a horse,is the basic file to find information

on a claim. From there you can go to other files for details.

You can't tell anything by a company name.

United Nuclear owns all kinds of energy leases,plus tons of mineral

claims. Now if there is a sign on a claim that says Bill's gold mine,you

might assume it is a gold mine,unless Bill is a joker. :laught16:

Yeah, I'm green. Enjoy your chuckle. But thanks for the enlightenment regarding "lead", sawmill. That I don't know is why I'm a knowitall2b.

Yes, I understand that name's can be deceptive and misleading. However when the operator is US Pumice and the claims are on an obvious volcanic cone which is in an area not known for gold production, one can make certain presumptions about the primary mineral being obtained. Modoc county is not known as a center for the production of diamonds or gold. While I understand that presumptions can deter explorations by the poorly informed, I also understand that one finds best success in areas where gold is known to have been found. Something to do with increasing one's chances perhaps.

As Ms. Parker observed, you can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

For your info:

Salable mineral materials include common variety of sand, stone, gravel, pumice, pumicite, clay, rock, and petrified wood. BLM sells mineral materials at fair market value and grants free use permits to government agencies, and also issues free use permits for a limited amount of material to nonprofit organizations.

Max

Yeah, I'm green. Enjoy your chuckle. But thanks for the enlightenment regarding "lead", sawmill. That I don't know is why I'm a knowitall2b.

Yes, I understand that name's can be deceptive and misleading. However when the operator is US Pumice and the claims are on an obvious volcanic cone which is in an area not known for gold production, one can make certain presumptions about the primary mineral being obtained. Modoc county is not known as a center for the production of diamonds or gold. While I understand that presumptions can deter explorations by the poorly informed, I also understand that one finds best success in areas where gold is known to have been found. Something to do with increasing one's chances perhaps.

As Ms. Parker observed, you can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

A very large construction company in California happens to process all of its gravel for road building from well chosen pits or mines. The also happen to be the largest producer of gold in Calif. Tiegart Construction is the name.........sand and grave is the game, but gold is certainly the byproduct from their wash plants! Names and geocomunicator can be totally misleading. County or BLM record offices are the only sure way of real research

Its awesome to have these tools today. It sure beets buying the micofiche and hoping a local library had a reader, or spending most of a day driving a hundred miles to the blm office to check every interesting potential site.

Carl

I do appreciate the emphasis on county recorders and blm offices and I plan to visit them in my travels.

I also am well aware of mining by-products, which is why I made reference to "primary". I currently live in Cornville, not far from Jerome where gold and silver were a happy (for the owners) by-product of the primary metal, copper.

Yeah, I easily could head down to the Bradshaws from here, but I miss CA, which has better trout fishing. And I lived and fished there for 3 plus decades. And now it's time for this green ol man to find new experiences. The Bradshaws and other AZ spots seem to exist somewhere further out on my horizon.

So I've also been reading a lot of documentation from CA's Dept of Conservation as well as maps and BLM and forums and ...

I'm chompin' at the bit to go, getting healthy, well organized, prepared and as informed as I can get. Not gonna have the luxurious distraction of even a lap-top, so I will be free to move along as I find comfortable and focus my energies on my printouts and to the search of the elusive > trout and metal.

But for the next four-five weeks while I still have that distraction of electrons I'll be asking a few bone-head questions and making off the wall comments and appreciatin all the corrective comments from those of you with the humor, patience and wisdom for a doofus like me. I can dig it.

Thanks big time.

Keith

Keith

You are a good sport. If you need any help with claims information,

or prospecting,the guys on here,are a pretty decent bunch.

The Geocommunicator is a good tool,to get a rough idea from,but not

real accurate. The County recorders office is the best,and most up to

date source of information.

The reason the BLM shows claims as a large block on the communicator

is that they don't have a clue about just how the claim lays on the ground.

All they know is the general area is in a quarter section. Unless all the

corners are up so you can trace the claim,or you are pretty good at surveying

it is a good idea to avoid the area shown on the communicator.

My claims are shown as a whole quarter section. They only cover 3/4 of the

quarter section. But there is a real good reason for that. The rest of the quarter

section is withdrawn from all mineral activity. As is most of the rest of the section.

So in a deal like that,you could still get in trouble,even if you are not on a valid

mining claim. That is why you need a land use plat. The BLM may own the surface

but the mineral rights belong to a trust,or private party. If caught removing said

minerals,it can be worse than being caught on a valid claim.

Keith

You are a good sport. If you need any help with claims information,

or prospecting,the guys on here,are a pretty decent bunch.

The Geocommunicator is a good tool,to get a rough idea from,but not

real accurate. The County recorders office is the best,and most up to

date source of information.

The reason the BLM shows claims as a large block on the communicator

is that they don't have a clue about just how the claim lays on the ground.

All they know is the general area is in a quarter section. Unless all the

corners are up so you can trace the claim,or you are pretty good at surveying

it is a good idea to avoid the area shown on the communicator.

My claims are shown as a whole quarter section. They only cover 3/4 of the

quarter section. But there is a real good reason for that. The rest of the quarter

section is withdrawn from all mineral activity. As is most of the rest of the section.

So in a deal like that,you could still get in trouble,even if you are not on a valid

mining claim. That is why you need a land use plat. The BLM may own the surface

but the mineral rights belong to a trust,or private party. If caught removing said

minerals,it can be worse than being caught on a valid claim.

Thanks sawmill, I had not previously encountered the term 'land use plat'. Prospecting 101 - learnin the language. I'm certainly not gonna go out lookin for trouble. Knowledge is a huge help to avoiding trouble. I appreciate your sharing (and the others too)

Later on, when I'm not so verdant, I'll be able to hang with the jesters. But I knew the job (posting bone-head questions here) was dangerous when I took it.

EL Dorado,

They do the same thing here in AZ, I know of several. Sawmill made a good post sometime back explaining how they pay for the saleable minerals such as sand,rock,pumice etc. Its legal.

Max

A very large construction company in California happens to process all of its gravel for road building from well chosen pits or mines. The also happen to be the largest producer of gold in Calif. Tiegart Construction is the name.........sand and grave is the game, but gold is certainly the byproduct from their wash plants! Names and geocomunicator can be totally misleading. County or BLM record offices are the only sure way of real research

Thats a good suggestion to stop by the county seat and check the land status. The county gets the info from the blm master plats, which will identify any federal land land that has been withdrawn from mineral entry. I never tried to look up location notices at the county, is there any way to know if it belongs to a valid claim? Anyway making sure the land is open to mineral entry would be the first step. Definately make a trip to the blm if your going to do more than detect or run couple buckets through a sluice.

Carl

Carl,

I understand from some of my reading that the county folks can be very helpful and some of the guys at blm are quite knowledgeable and glad to spend a little time discussing their area's geology and history. I am looking forward to meeting a few of those fine folks. I can listen real well.

I'm gonna head towards Inyo county in CA as a start. I've enjoyed the area in the past fishing and hiking. Now the hiking will be more of a slow stroll swinging something with a coil on it. One of the first things I did was print out county offices and blm offices.

Thanks again for your kind sharing.

Keith

Guest bedrock bob
Carl,

I understand from some of my reading that the county folks can be very helpful and some of the guys at blm are quite knowledgeable and glad to spend a little time discussing their area's geology and history. I am looking forward to meeting a few of those fine folks. I can listen real well.

I'm gonna head towards Inyo county in CA as a start. I've enjoyed the area in the past fishing and hiking. Now the hiking will be more of a slow stroll swinging something with a coil on it. One of the first things I did was print out county offices and blm offices.

Thanks again for your kind sharing.

Keith

At BLM regional offices they have the "public room". There will be folks to help you and computers to use for the land records. I have always had very good service from the BLM. I know the horror stories, but my experiences have been good. Once you have a spot you want to look at you get the claim numbers and names in the area and ask them to pull the lead file and the claim maps on record. You can usually figure out who has what section by section. This is as good as it gets. There may be a claim or two that has been filed in the last 90 days or so that dont show up in the files but you can narrow it down pretty quickly like this.

I dont see that it makes any difference what mineral is claimed. If you are in a gold bearing area, and want to prospect, you are going to have to deal with the claim owner no matter what mineral he has claimed. You are not going to find a gold bearing area by looking at the claims. Find a gold bearing area through production records and mining records and THEN find out the claims in the area.

Get your Surface Management Responsibility (Land Ownership) Maps here at the public room for the areas you are interested in. They are darn accurate and will keep you off private land. Most show mineral estate too, so withdrawn areas are easy to identify. These and a topo are all I usually use.

Remember, you can go anywhere on BLM land, even on gold claims, and stumble around to your hearts content. My strategy is to go ahead and go to the area in question, take a look at the mines and markers, jot down any information and cordinates that I can get and then go back and do my research. Even if there is no open ground in the area I have the claimants name and contact info, and a general idea of where the patented lands and property lines are. A fishing pole and a GPS aint hygrading, and as long as you are not actively prospecting there is not much anyone can say about it. Chances are, if there is gold there at all it will be claimed. Dont be bashful about asking for permission. Often this will be your only way to get in an area that is good. A hobby prospector is no threat to anyone and can usually find some inroads if you talk to the right people. Also, a lot of the land will be leased for grazing, and the ranchers can be a good resource. They pretty much know where the areas are that are being worked and where the patented land is. The more people that you talk to that have first hand knowledge of the area the better.

Bedrock Bob

Wow Bedrock Bob, that is really informative. Thanks a lot.

I'm gonna have a nice printout from this thread to take with me since I don't rely on my faulty memory alone.

Now I have a question about the BLM maps I've been looking at. Some Township/Ranges (TR's) are outlined in black and some have a reddish outline as in the attached (I hope I've uploaded correctly) image of the area around Independence CA. Can anyone tell me the significance of the reddish outlined areas please?

post-22053-1238420556_thumb.jpg