Nugget Shooter Forums

Holbrook Victory

This weekend a group of hunters including Nate, Dean, Zaya, Bedrock Bob, my father, and I hunted Holbrook.

Even our friend Travis stopped by on Sunday.

Nate rode with us, so I had a chance to weigh his finds along with ours.

------------------------

Nate's:

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e145/phxerik/?action=view&current=N1.jpg

3.4g

2.2g

2.1g

1.3g

0.9g

0.7g

0.6g

0.5g

0.5g

0.4g

0.4g

0.4g

Total = 13.4g

------------------------

Ben's:

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e145/phxerik/?action=view&current=B1.jpg

5.3g

2.4g

2.1g

1.1g

1.1g

0.6g

Total = 12.6g

------------------------

Erik's

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e145/phxerik/?action=view&current=E1.jpg

9.4g (Fragmented idividual)

5.2g

4.7g

2.6g

1.5g

1.1g

0.9g

0.7g

0.6g

0.6g

0.4g

Total = 28.6g

------------------------

We're pretty tired so we will post details soon!

[Erik]

Hello all,

Hey let me start out by shouting out kudos and a huge thanks to Ben, Erik and Nate. Thanks guys for taking the time to school Zaya and I. We are honored to have been taught and shown the ropes by some of the best meteorite hunters in the world!

Zaya followed around Ben, Erik and Nate as they hunted, watching, learning and listening to what he was told. He told me later that he learned how to hunt meteorites from Erik and the guys. He kept on saying " I shoulda followed Erik, he keeps finding meteorites!!"

I now have a huge respect for hunting chondrites! Guys, it's a lot harder then it looks in the videos and photos. Zaya and I found 4 Holbrooks on our first trip! I was really worried I was gonna get skunked! Bob also found some nice Holbrooks!

Thanks again guys for the kindness and patience with Zaya and I on our first trip to Holbrook. Congrats guys on the awesome Holbrooks!! We are definitely already anxious to do it again.

Soooo tired from the Holbrook trip, gotta get some rest. I will take a few photos of the finds Zaya and I made and post them as soon as I can. Ben, Erik, Nate, Bedrock Bob and Travis, see you guys again soon.

Dean and the Z-Man

Nice Holbrook's for sure. I'm thinking any thing from there is good these days. But also thought that using a detector wasn't the best way to go, or is that another area down there? Jason :;):

Guest bedrock bob

I had a great time hunting with all of you. Ben and Eric, thanks! You guys are great. Eric, thanks for I.D.ing my first Holbrook. I wish I had your good eyes (and young back). It was great to meet you Nate, I hope you find a pile of those stones. Travis, it was a great pleasure and I hope to see you again very soon. Dont hesitate to knock on my door any time day or night.

Dean, your grandson is a charm. His intellignce is his defining factor. What a great hunting buddy! I believe that the one he found was my favorite of all the stones I saw this weekend. That kid is a blessing and it was a priveledge to met him (and everyone else).

...Dean is as tenacious as a bulldog. He does not stop hunting. His grandson is 9 and matches him hour for hour. At any time you could look out on the strewn field and see the pair of them. A short one and a tall one. From daybreak to dark without flinching. Zaya has an attention span like few youngsters these days. Smart as a whip too.

I hope to see you all many times in the future. A bunch of great guys and great talent. You are welcome in my camp any day, and if you ever wander over this way to hunt mi casa su casa.

Bob

Aloha Guys,

Hot Dang! Nice bunch of stones from all of you.

Hope to see you guys this summer.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

hay thanks Ben and Eric for letting me ride up with you all learned a lot off you all for Holbrook hutting, was nice to have met you dean , bob ....was a grate trip only thing that got me was the Temp 13 out side :)

Nice Holbrook's for sure. I'm thinking any thing from there is good these days. But also thought that using a detector wasn't the best way to go, or is that another area down there? Jason :;):

hay jayray its like a dry lake bed so yea cane stick hunting all day dint thank there a good area for swing a detector

Guest bedrock bob
hay thanks Ben and Eric for letting me ride up with you all learned a lot off you all for Holbrook hutting, was nice to have met you dean , bob ....was a grate trip only thing that got me was the Temp 13 out side :)

It was 13? Gosh I hardly noticed it because it was so much warmer than Santa Fe. I thought I was in the Bahamas. I woke up and had 2" of snow on the ground this morning at my house!

The wind was bad though. For two days solid it didnt let up. Sunday was beautiful though for the drive back!

Wooo dudes, way to go, that's a great pile of rocks there. Congrat's :bowdown:

I'll be glad when I can get some time off to get up that way. :angry-smiley-010:

Best wishes for many more hunt's, jim "bones" :coffeetime: :whoopie:

Hello all,

Here are a few pictures of the Holbrook's Zaya and I found.

Guys, once again, it was a pleasure to have spent time hunting with you all!!!

I will post more photos of our hunt later tonight. keep an eye out.

OUR FIRST HOLBROOK'S

HOLBROOK3-7-093-08-09PHOTOS035.jpg

ORIENTED?

HOLBROOK3-7-093-08-09PHOTOS021.jpg

ORIENTED

HOLBROOK3-7-093-08-09PHOTOS023.jpg

A TON OF STRESS FRACTURES

HOLBROOK3-7-093-08-09PHOTOS023.jpg

Dean and Zaya

Sorry folks,

I posted the last picture twice!

Here is the right picture of the stress fractures.

STRESS FRACTURES

HOLBROOK3-7-093-08-09PHOTOS022.jpg

Dean and Zaya

Guest bedrock bob

That's the one Dean! Of all the stones that I saw over the weekend that one said it best. Oriented, scalloped, you can really see the speed in that baby! I figure that would be the best representation of a hail of stones that you could find. You tell Zaya that I will trade him that last nugget I found for it.

I dont want to get him started on gold though Dean. He will find more than me and he wont leave any behind. Maybe you ought to keep that kid out in the playas for a few more years.

Bob

It was like 30 to 40 degrees on Saturday but the wind-chill made it around 15 degrees! That chapped my face till my skin turned to scales... Sunday there was little to no wind till like 1pm with a 7am temp of 13 degrees! BRRRR!

Imagine how that guy and his goat feel with no electricity in his shack on the 6 acres he doesn't have!

The one thing we all had that made the trip a real experience was

LUCK!!!

Strategy has no effect at Holbrook unless you have luck to find an area with uncovered stones.

[Erik]

It was like 30 to 40 degrees on Saturday but the wind-chill made it around 15 degrees! That chapped my face till my skin turned to scales... Sunday there was little to no wind till like 1pm with a 7am temp of 13 degrees! BRRRR!

Imagine how that guy and his goat feel with no electricity in his shack on the 6 acres he doesn't have!

The one thing we all had that made the trip a real experience was

LUCK!!!

Strategy has no effect at Holbrook unless you have luck to find an area with uncovered stones.

[Erik]

hay that was 60 and he love gote :)

Hi All,

It was a pleasure to meet and hunt with Bedrock Bob out in the Holbrook strewn field. He makes real good coffee, too. It was also good to see Dean again and meet Zaya for our weekend outing. Sadly, when we tried to load my photos from my camera to the laptop, the scan erased the card, and destroyed all my insitu pics and shots of finds by others in the field. I did have a small bit of video that was saved in another camera. On saturday, we hunted hard from just after sunup until sundown. It was very cold, with a constant 40-55 MPH wind that made my eyes water. The high winds blew red sand in my eyes, ears, nose, mouth, and hair. The sand was also in my hat and clothes. We made some nice finds but, the cold wind was very hard on us. In spite of the weather, Zaya stuck with us all day. You won't find many boys his age that are so tough, or so focussed. Zaya made a nice find in the afternoon, and had a smile about a mile wide! About an hour before sundown, Erik thought he lost his bottle of finds and we tried to backtrack and find it before dark. With no success, we resolved to find it the next day and drove into town for some fast Mexican food and well-deserved carb-loading. As soon as we got in the door of the resteraunt, Erik "found" his finds-bottle in the shirt pocket that he never uses! A lot of "colorful language" was then shared with him. It was nineteen degrees in Holbrook proper at O' dark-thirty sunday morning but, that dropped to thirteen out in the strewn field at sunup. When we got out to the field, Travis was already there and making coffee. It was nice to visit with him and talk meteorites. It was calm, and by ten AM, it was actually nicer than at ANYTIME the previous day. I was able to shed my jacket for a couple hours before the terrible wind came back and made life miserable. My nicest find, a 5.3 gram whole, fully-crusted individual, was found early, and gave me some motivation to hunt with intensity in spite of my eyes, which were still hurting from the previous day. Nate is to be commended for his sharp eyes which got him many finds. Also, Bob made finds very quickly after he saw what Holbrooks looked like. He covered the learning curve the fastest I've ever seen. Dean finally got some finds on sunday in an area that I though we had already hit - nice work. By two PM, no more finds were being made, and being that we were all worn out, we called it a day.

Ben

Guest bedrock bob

That goat jumped up on the cab of my truck and tried to climb up on top of my camper! Musta been trying to get away from him. Maybe he loves goat a little too much!

Beatin, bruised, windy, and cold... sounds like meteorite hunting to me! Hunting with a group is always fun especially when everybody comes home with a find. The best part is when you see other people score a find and it motivates you to find one.

Sounds like you all had a blast while earning your finds. Way to go guys, congrats!

Del

The good news keeps on comming ........so i got home and win i did i was given a labtop my oldman picked up for 20 bucks, after a few houers of work its up and working so got me a labtop on top of holbrook this is a good week....