Nugget Shooter Forums

New gps

Nate you can't go wrong with a Garmin eTrex Legend-

Garmin eTrex Legend

I've had mine for a couple years now and it's not bad. In time they start having some minor problems but still do the job.

Make sure you get a carrying case too.

Del

Garmin eTrex Legend

I've had mine for a couple years now and it's not bad. In time they start having some minor problems but still do the job.

Make sure you get a carrying case too.

Del

Hay thanks Del amazone was the place i was plaing on buying it from anyways thanks man

Aloha Nate,

Besides amazon you might check out gpscity.com as that is all they sell and their customer service is great. All depends on what you want in the way of options. you can compare the venture hc, legend and the legend cx on amazon also.

Aloha and good luck.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Nate,

how goes it? Hey I bought a Garmin e Trex Legend in December on ebay for $52.00 plus shipping. It is brand new! Not a scratch on it. You might want to take a look and watch what they are going for for a few days. This is my second Garmin. I have had no problems with them. Good luck.

Hey, see you out in the field soon.

Dean

In time they start having some minor problems but still do the job.

Del,

What problems? I'm getting one. Upgrading from my old Garmin to the Legend. I noticed on my old one the Compass seems to have a mind of it's own when you're standing still. Is this what you are talking about?

Eric

Del,

What problems? I'm getting one. Upgrading from my old Garmin to the Legend. I noticed on my old one the Compass seems to have a mind of it's own when you're standing still. Is this what you are talking about?

Eric

Hi Eric, IMO the eTrex Legend is a great entry level GPS, but there are a few minor problems with it that can be annoying-

1. The GPS drops out sometimes, meaning it isn't fully locked on to all satellites. I believe it does this because the receiver isn't the best quality. Most of the time it will lock back onto the satellites, but sometimes it doesn't and you have to restart it.

2. When running tracks you sometimes get a spike in the track. I think this may be directly related to the receiver.

3. In time you start getting vertical and/or horizontal lines across the screen, I've seen this on other Legends as well as mine.

4. The rubber gasket will come off eventually (especially if you use it during summertime), though there is a fix for this.

5. Sometimes the screen just goes completely black and you have to restart it.

These are some of the things I've noticed with mine. I'd maybe check out the reviews for it on Amazon because they're usually pretty accurate.

Now one thing I will say, unfortunately mine has had the living crap beat out of it. I've had it since October of 2007 and it's been used almost every weekend

since then. I've dropped it, kicked it, hell there's even been times where I've accidentally snapped it up on the end of my cane (neo magnet with ~140 lbs of pull)

and I'm sure this didn't help it, but the thing still works.

If you are planning on getting an eTrex Legend it's probably a good idea to spend 10-20 bucks more and get the eTrex Legend H since it has a higher quality receiver. The Legend is a good GPS for the casual GPS user, but for meteorite hunters GPS's are one of the most important tools and the more accurate you can get the better.

Overall mine's been a good GPS and has served me well, though I do have to admit I'm getting ready to buy another one. For my applications I need something a little more accurate and I've decided to go with an eTrex Vista HCx. It's a little more pricey, but it's a heck of a lot more accurate and has more capabilities.

Hope this helps!

Del

Hello all

My Etrex Legend is several years old and has the Bar Code lines running top to bottom. After turning it off and on to try and fix the problem the only thing that works is to thump it in the palm of my hand. Its never been dropped or mishandled. Garmin will fix it for a mere $100.00. (Not worth it.).

Buy another brand Nate. I believe Garmin should recall the lot.

Wayne

Del, I also have an eTrex and love the ease of use, but haven't had any of the problems you've stated. I got mine in 2005/06 and the only problem I have had with it, is the thumb stick not wanting to go in the other direction (to the left). Makes for an annoying time when inputing information... and yes I have had mine dropped, kicked, stepped on, stuck to the magnet, dropped the pick on it, the works but still takes a licking. I have also used it in the automode, where as to have the unit hooked up with a laptop while driving trying to figure out where in the heck I was at. That works pretty slick IMHO. Just my 1 cent, due to the recent recession... Jason :;):

Guest bedrock bob

I have two of them and they have been great...No problems. Got em' from Cabellas at $97 bucks. They hook up with the TOPO program on the laptop very slick and have been a great tool. I take one everywhere and bang the crap out of them. The only gripe is the screens get scratched up...Make sure to get one of those plastic sticky screen covers for it or you will be looking through the scratches.

Oh, and you ahve to be moving in some direction for that compass to work. It is not really a compass, it gives the direction that you are WALKING and does not point north. If you stop it has no reference and will not know north until you begin moving again.

Bob

Save your cash up and buy the Garmin Colorado 400t. I bought one last year and the darn thing is the best GPS I have ever owned. Its all in color 3d imaging this thing will do everything but whipe your butt. The only thing I'm still lacking is learning how to use all of its features.

Hi Guys, hey I'm not knockin the etrex Legend because it's a good entry level GPS. All I'm doing is reporting the problems I've had with mine and what I've seen on other peoples too. I'm part of a Yahoo forum for Garmin etrex's and some of the problems I've listed has come up in there too. :shrug:

Bob mentioned one thing about them that makes them pretty nice- Adding maps, Garmin has a half way decent mapping program (Garmin MapSource Topo) thats a pretty handy tool and nice to have. It's also great for managing Waypoints and Tracks. But again, there's a limitation on the Legend here for me. I can't upload all the maps to cover the places I hunt because there's not enough memory. Not a downside to the etrex legend, but for me I need something that can take handle more maps.

The Legends aren't bad, their price, ease of use, and mapping capabilities make them well worth it. But they are by no means perfect because some of them do have problems.

Del

THANKS DEL!

I appreciate it. Nice review by the way. I'll be getting the Legend most likely very soon. Maybe before I head back out to West... ;)

Anyway It seems you are pretty hard on your equipment. In other words you use it a whole lot! I am sure though the electronics don't like rare earth magnets very much and they do play hell with LCD screens. That could explain the lines. I haven't read the reports or any other reviews of the Legend but it seems to be the best selling GPS Garmin has so that says something about quality to me.

Thanks again!

Look forward to meeting you again in the field someday.

Talk to you soon...

Eric

Don't buy the etrex if you have the money to step up to the Garmin GPS Map 60 csx. You will not be sorry. I have been using this one since they came out with the new antena about 2 years ago now. I have had the etrex and etrex vista. Both I used and abused to death ... my vista has all the verticle lines you could not want. They are very annoying so I upgraded to the GPSmap60CSx. Advantages to the Map60 is that it has a removable chip and accepts regional maps on a chip that are as good as holding the actual map in your hand. Their interface with the computer is easy and direct. If you are serious about navigation, land or sea, this is the one!

Aloha,

One other thing you might consider is going to gpscity.com and using their comparison chart. The time spent reviewing the different models is well worth the time and effort and you can compare the different legends and their venture models.

Aloha and good luck.

Stan aka Kaimi

I've got an old etrex legend that I've had for about ten years now. Never had any problems with it. Very durable and dependable. I'd like a unit with more bells and whistles but, with the economy in shambles and money being tight, the legend is going to have to last a while longer. Hey Stan, that's a great website for comparisons - thanks.

Ben

Aloha Nate,

Hot Dang dude, what kind of yard sales are you going to anyway. $10?? Hey if you find a bentley for $100 let me know right away. :laught16:

And guess what! My rino120 just took a major dump and now I am also in the market for a gps. Looks like the venture HC is going to be my next gift to myself soon. Until then I guess I will be using the old compass and map.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi