Nugget Shooter Forums

FRANCONIA CHERRY BREAKER

Went to the highly pounded area of FRANCONIA today . I had hunted it twice before but only found 2 small irons.

Today I broke the CHERRY with a 32.14 Grammer.

My buddy Scott came up with a 43.8 and an 1.2 gram iron a really nice one looked alot heavier.

Sorry no pic of the iron today.

post-562-1236219978_thumb.jpg

post-562-1236220008_thumb.jpg

Aloha Frank C.,

And they keep on coming out of the highly pounded ground. Yep, there are still a lot of pieces to be found if one just has the patience to keep on swinging that coil. Nice job.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

That spot in the photo is just insainly pounded. It must have take alot of concetration and alot of swinging to find those stones! Congrats! Next try moving north east or north west about a mile. Get a feel for where the strewn field lays. Hope to meet you out ther someday.

[Erik]

Went to the highly pounded area of FRANCONIA today . I had hunted it twice before but only found 2 small irons.

My buddy Scott came up with a 43.8 and an 1.2 gram iron a really nice one looked alot heavier.

Frank,

I left out a little before 3, Was straight across from where you were hunting, believe that was you that waved at me. Was glad to see that you all managed to worm the quads as far as you did. Saves a ton of walking. Do not take Eriks advice and move a mile to the NE, you will be plumb outta the field, a mile to the NW will put you in a dead area that is between break-ups. Stay in line with where you were as well as the other area's that I pointed out on the map.

Way to go on getting your first Franconia. I only managed a 31.7 gram chondrite and one nice .9 gram Iron for that long walk. Got a couple 200 gram leg cramps this evening....... :laught16: Hang on to that throw down that I loaned the fellow that was with you and Scott, will pick it up next week.

Jim

Jim your throw down will be parked next to "ol yeller" in the workshop til either I come to you or you see me.

Strange thing about the piece I found compared to your throw down and the piece Scott found and also others I have seen from Franconia, Mine looks almost like a dead ringer for a gold basin . You'll have to see it when we get together, you may say it could be one of the other falls named in the Franconia area.

GLAD to have met upwith you out there....did the older couple we met find anything that you know of ?????

Good hearing from you Fred, I hope you're doing well and give Jeff my reguards when you see him.

Myself and a couple other fellows are talking about a few day visit to the basin soon I will keep you posted.

Nice work. Great job Frank! You'll always remember your first... ;)

Now for a 1 kilo cherry popper! 500 grammer will do I'm sure...

Eric

Frank, Great Fines, especially for the first from Franconia. Like Eric just said, that biggy is out there with your name on it. It just a matter of time. Thought I'd mention what I do to avoid cramps for the Franconia days walking sun-up to sun-down is: the day before, and then the evening just after, take a multi-vitamin, a calcium- magnesium-zinc, suppliment, and a tall glass of orange juice, a tall glass of pedi-lite; and wow like magic no monster leg cramps in middle of the night. Great Job Frank! See Ya Out There :icon_mrgreen: Clifton

Frank,

Congrats on the nice Franconia finds!! I hope to make it to Franconia one day soon for a hunt. Hope to meet some of you out in the field. This meteorite stuff gets in the blood.....dosen't it!! Good luck on your next outing.

Dean

Frank, Great Fines, especially for the first from Franconia. Like Eric just said, that biggy is out there with your name on it. It just a matter of time. Thought I'd mention what I do to avoid cramps for the Franconia days walking sun-up to sun-down is: the day before, and then the evening just after, take a multi-vitamin, a calcium- magnesium-zinc, suppliment, and a tall glass of orange juice, a tall glass of pedi-lite; and wow like magic no monster leg cramps in middle of the night. Great Job Frank! See Ya Out There :icon_mrgreen: Clifton

Moondog,

Thanks for the leg cramp tip, I plan to give it a try. I spent many a day hunting Franconia, sun up to sun down during the hay days, even in the hot days of August. Am just out of shape and need to get the leg muscles to working again. Remembering the days when a fella could detect all day on the north side and come home with 15 to 20 chondrites and at least 30 irons. Those days are gone, now it is more like one or 2 chondrites a day and with luck, 3 or 4 irons.

Jim

Jim your throw down will be parked next to "ol yeller" in the workshop til either I come to you or you see me.

Strange thing about the piece I found compared to your throw down and the piece Scott found and also others I have seen from Franconia, Mine looks almost like a dead ringer for a gold basin . You'll have to see it when we get together, you may say it could be one of the other falls named in the Franconia area.

GLAD to have met upwith you out there....did the older couple we met find anything that you know of ?????

Frank,

I could not quite make out any detail from your picture, it had me scratching my head just a little. maybe you could post a couple close-up pictures of your find now that it has probably been washed off a little.

The really nice older couple were elated to have run across someone that could put them in the right place to hunt. I was very happy to have them follow me over to the jumping off point. They had been hunting the wrong area's on several trips. They had Nortons book and were aware of my map illustration in the book, also had a printout from meteorite magazine that showed a picture of an outing group that Ruben had taken. I was in the picture, so they recognized me. I think that he had a Whites Prizm, and she had a MXT.....Not exactly good meteorite hunting detectors. They had a good time, didn't find an elusive Franconia, and were heading on for Gold Basin to spend the night. I gave them directions to the GB strewn field.

Jim

Great find glad to see you broke the cherry, sorry it hurt so much, LOL. Excellent find good job. I thinks I might have to get out there to Franconia to get me a piece of space rock.

Peace

Troypounder