Nugget Shooter Forums

NEW GUY NEEDS HELP

bigboy62

HEY GUYS I'AM SO GLAD I FOUND THIS SITE. I HAVE JUST SEMI-RETIRED AND HAVE DECEIDED TO DO SOME NUGGET SHOOTING AND PROSPECTING AS A NEW HOBBY . I HAVE DONE SOME COIN AND RELIC HUNTING BACK EAST ,BUT I NOW RESIDE IN PRESCOTT AZ. A FEW MILES FROM THE LINX LAKE AREA. SO ANY HELP FROM ANYONE LOCAL WOULD SURE BE GREAT. WILL NEED TO GET A DETECTOR AND OTHER EQUIPTMENT. THANKS GUYS FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE

Start off by reading some of the old posts on this forum. Get you a gold pan and go on out there. Panning is the most basic place to start and once you get an idea of what's going on you will be able to ask more specific questions. For instance might figure out a particular method of prospecting you prefer and will then be able to learn more about it.

big boy I'm sure there is a dealer in that area, also spend a little time in his shop--you'll meet some of the locals, who are always willing to help! also I'm sure if you were to join one of the local clubs(prospecting) those guys are always willing to show you the ropes! good luck and keep that coil close to the ground! rokdodger :coffeetime:

• 5 weeks later...
HEY GUYS I'AM SO GLAD I FOUND THIS SITE. I HAVE JUST SEMI-RETIRED AND HAVE DECEIDED TO DO SOME NUGGET SHOOTING AND PROSPECTING AS A NEW HOBBY . I HAVE DONE SOME COIN AND RELIC HUNTING BACK EAST ,BUT I NOW RESIDE IN PRESCOTT AZ. A FEW MILES FROM THE LINX LAKE AREA. SO ANY HELP FROM ANYONE LOCAL WOULD SURE BE GREAT. WILL NEED TO GET A DETECTOR AND OTHER EQUIPTMENT. THANKS GUYS FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE

Hello bigboy62 I am new to the Prescott area looking for a hunting partner, interested in doing the same things. I have a couple of detectors. I mostly like to metal detect for coins and relic hunting in the local ghost towns, have not done any gold prospecting yet. If you are interested my E mail is trzrhntr@q.com thanks Mario

bigboy62 if you are looking for a metal detector I would check with Bill Southern the owner of this site.

Rich

I second that. Bill is known for meeting/beating any price around. :twocents:

I can show you a couple of places around here, where it is legal to prospect (no claims). The most important thing is to decide what type of prospecting you will be doing due to cost(s).....metal detecting, dry washing, dredging, etc. I dredge and detect (have dry washed). They are having the GPAA outing this weekend, in Stanton. You can go to to the outing (just not allowed to take minerals, unless you are a member). You can learn a lot there too, and it takes about 1.5 hours to get there from prescott.

There is also a prospecting store in Prescott Valley, A & B prospecting, in addition to the other dealers metioned. Bill Southern sells great detectors, not sure about the local prospecting store (I think the only sell VLF detectors???). I have a VLF, and wish that I had got the PI (aka Mine Lab). Joining a club may be a good idea too...

If you are interested in a couple tips/places, let me know.

--Casey

Hello bigboy62 I am new to the Prescott area looking for a hunting partner, interested in doing the same things. I have a couple of detectors. I mostly like to metal detect for coins and relic hunting in the local ghost towns, have not done any gold prospecting yet. If you are interested my E mail is trzrhntr@q.com thanks Mario

Mario,

The same invitation that I gave to Big Boy is open to you too. I am not looking for a prospecting partner, but would be willing to spend a little time helping you out.... Let me know.

--Casey

I can show you a couple of places around here, where it is legal to prospect (no claims). The most important thing is to decide what type of prospecting you will be doing due to cost(s).....metal detecting, dry washing, dredging, etc. I dredge and detect (have dry washed). They are having the GPAA outing this weekend, in Stanton. You can go to to the outing (just not allowed to take minerals, unless you are a member). You can learn a lot there too, and it takes about 1.5 hours to get there from prescott.

There is also a prospecting store in Prescott Valley, A & B prospecting, in addition to the other dealers metioned. Bill Southern sells great detectors, not sure about the local prospecting store (I think the only sell VLF detectors???). I have a VLF, and wish that I had got the PI (aka Mine Lab). Joining a club may be a good idea too...

If you are interested in a couple tips/places, let me know.

--Casey

Thanks Casey and and everyone else for the great advise and offers for help showing the new guy the ropes. I plan on doing some panning and dectecting and mybe alittle dry washing. I'am a member of GPAA but because of work sadly I can not attend . I got roped into working full time for the next six weeks so can do much of anything until after thats done. but i sure will thake you up on your offers after that. thanks again all and have a happy and safe easter . CURT