Nugget Shooter Forums

Yes-No- Maybe?

I was nugget hunting a couple years ago now in the Wickenburg area when I ran across this. Not having any idea about meteorites it didnt cross my mind at the time. It just gave a huge beep and there were several others in this one general area so I picked this one up and hauled it back with me. Well I came across it a while back and it sounds off well on detector,,, very,very heavy for its size, sticks hard to a magnet,looks melted on one side and crusty on the other,, so can anyone give their opinion just by these pictures, I know its tuff to tell by a picture? If it may be a meteorite I will have to make a trip back to that spot and get some more of them. This is my first attempt on posting pictures !

post-21942-1236110064_thumb.jpg

post-21942-1236110159_thumb.jpg

post-21942-1236110310_thumb.jpg

It is always hard to tell from pics. If you window it and see metal it is a good indication. Uncle Ron would be the man to talk to about that piece for sure.

Thanks, freelancer. Uncle Ron if you get a chance and have the time to take a look woud sure appreciate your opinion on this rock. I am a total newby to the spacerocks . But I had detected most of the day in this area and only hit these in one small area.

No i havent Steve,,I have read about that some but guess I better read some more. dont know what to rub it on ? I did touch a small spot on the grinder and it looks like shiny metal sort of.

Mick-

You can use unglazed white porcelain which is what the lid for the water tank on your toilet is made of. Scratch the bottom of the lid. If you have a greyish-black streak- chances are it's magnetite. If the streak is reddish brown- chances are it's hematite. If there's no streak at all- chances are it's not an iron mineral and further testing is required.

Steve

Mick:

From the photos - I would say magnetite. I have found chunks that look very similar to yours. A streak test will determine it – black or dark gray is magnetite.

You also say very... very heavy for its size. Magnetite is somewhat heavier than a stony and it does not look like an iron. :sick0026:

But I hope it’s not. :wah2:

Greg S.

Thanks to all of you,,,It streaked !!!! Oh well at least I only hauled one of them home. At least now I know a little more on testing them if I should ever run across one. Thanks again,