Nugget Shooter Forums

New guy needs metal detector info.

Hi, My wife and I are new to meteorite hunting. We have been using a Garrett Grand Master Hunter CX II. I run it on all metals and seems to be adjusted prop. but have not found anything. Are we wasting our time? What should we be using? Thanks, Jerry

Aloha newbie,

Maybe it is not your detector but just where you are hunting. Like gold you need to go where meteorites have been found in the past. Franconia or Gold Basin are good starting areas. Even tho these places have been hunted over the past years i still find fragments that others have walked over or just missed by inches. Dont give up just yet, I have returned to areas I hunted in the past and found pieces even I have missed. It is almost impossible to cover every square inch of a strewn field no matter what others may claim.

You should take some time to review past posts in this section to see what others have found in the above mentioned areas.

Good luck and of course be careful out there.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

I'm brand new to meteorite hunting just got back from about 4 weeks @ Franconia Az I won't suggest which detector to use, I had a bunch of great guys show me some of the ropes to bagging meteorites one of the biggest lesson I learned was I had to put in the hours swinging the detector out of the 20 some odd days detecting there were about 4 or 5 days hard days for me maybe 6 or 7 hrs of detecting where I came up empty I thought why the heck am I doing this, but I just kept going back the next day pretty soon I bag One so I learned to just kept at it.

No, wasting your time would be sitting at home watching Oprah...

Despite what Garret may advertise it is unlikely that detector will work well hunting meteorites or gold nuggets...what you need is a couple of samples to test your settings with...

You don't mention where you are hunting meteorites, telling where you have tried might produce better responses to the question.

While meteorites can and do fall anywhere the likely hood of finding a random fall is minimal in many places...and the Franconia and Gold Basin strewn fields can be difficult to work a detector in...

If you have not read Rocks from Space or the Meteorite Field Guide by O Richard Norton, you oughter...

Fred

• 4 weeks later...
No, wasting your time would be sitting at home watching Oprah...

Despite what Garret may advertise it is unlikely that detector will work well hunting meteorites or gold nuggets...what you need is a couple of samples to test your settings with...

You don't mention where you are hunting meteorites, telling where you have tried might produce better responses to the question.

While meteorites can and do fall anywhere the likely hood of finding a random fall is minimal in many places...and the Franconia and Gold Basin strewn fields can be difficult to work a detector in...

If you have not read Rocks from Space or the Meteorite Field Guide by O Richard Norton, you oughter...

Fred

Hi all,

This is Oprah, and you sir, Fred was it, are cordially invited to be my guest in my audience at my show. However, when I tell my audience guests to look under their chairs for tickets to Disney World or keys to a new car, there will nothing but a big, chewed up wad of old gum under yours. "Wasting there time", shame on you.

Heres Nate's advice , Get a GM 3 or GMT , or minelab SD 2100 too SD 4500 ... all denuding on what you wont to spend and what your looking for,

the VLF the GM 3 and GMT r kinda cheep round 500 used

the minelab round any where from 800 up 2 4500

there all good just depends what you wont to spend relay ;)

Nste

Gee, Digit;

how have my comments been offensive...unless of course you are sitting at home watching Oprah...which I consider a waste of time...I suppose I could have said sitting at home watching TV...but that didn't have enough edge for my taste...still, I believe the rest of my post had some merit...do I get a car and used gum???

all the best, by the way...what help did you offer these poor wayfaring prospectors?

Fred

Hi Jerry,

I agree with Mike, you should use a sample of the meteorite(s) that you plan to hunt for. BUT.................take this a step further. You ALSO need to see and hear your detector's response to basalt and other area hot rocks. If your detector can't either (A) delete the sound of hot rocks, or (B) differentiate the sound of the hot rocks from that of the meteorites, then it merely becomes a few pounds of useless pot-metal and plastic that you unnessesarily hiked in with. You can pick up a small Fanconia or Gold Basin chondrite pretty cheap. We call it a "throwdown". Also, in regard to throwdowns - people tend to lose them easily out in the boonies, so..... for a small gold nugget, superglue it to a red poker chip. For a small chondrite, put it in a small all-plastic pill bottle and then wrap the outside with red or orange electrical tape. This will allow you to KNOW what your target sounds like in THIS soil, right now! It will eliminate any doubts from your mind, and let you concentrate on making finds. AND.........you won't leave your throwdown behind.

Good Hunting, Ben

Hey Ben;

You say one can get some throwdowns for testing. I would like to get a couple to know what I'm looking for and what it sounds like when I get there. Could you give me some leads to where one could come up with them.

Thanks, AL. C

HYi Al,

I bought my Franconia throwdowns from Mike Miller's website about five or six years ago. My Gold Basin Throwdowns I bought from Hoss Blackman at a GPAA gold show. He was a Milelabs dealer at the time. I think you can get one pretty cheap on ebay. Also, don't buy one that is larger than you need. Our original throwdowns were 20-30 grams but, these days I use one that is (I swear to God) less than a gram. If you can hear a little one, anything larger will take care of itself. So why spend the extra bucks, get one thats around ten grams or less. Let me know what you find.

Best Regards, Ben

Aloha guys,

I agree with Ben aabout getting a small throwdown. I use one about 8 grams and I also have a 2 gram piece I also use to "hear" the difference between the two. I also usually throw my piece down about every 10 minutes the first hour of hunting to get my ears accustomed to the distinct "sound" they make so my ears "remember" that special sound it makes when my coil goes over a meteorite.

You would be surprised how your brain can be trained to "hear" that one distinct sound over all the clutter a vlf makes in some areas. It just takes a lot of patience and work BUT it will pay off in the long run.

Good luck and be safe out there.

BTW, always wear headphones so you will not get distracted from the hissing sounds snakes make. :laught16::laught16:

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi