Nugget Shooter Forums

Map Reading

Gday all.

I have recently purchsed some old maps of The goldfield areas in Victoria Australia and am not sure where to go detecting. The maps show old diggings, quartz reefs, aluivial sites, old & new mine sites ect. I have a SD2000 with an 11" DD coil and have only been into this caper for 4 weeks. Love getting out there but at present I am digging heaps and only finding bullets, casings, and iron .. oh and a spark plug. Any hints would be greatly apreciated. :grrr01:

The first thing I would do is send the 2000 to Ismael Jones in Australia for the mods. I have one and it makes a difference. He has my unit now for the new VCO mod. As far as that goes all you guys should check out whats being done to the other models.

http://www.minelabmods.com

The first thing I would do is send the 2000 to Ismael Jones in Australia for the mods. I have one and it makes a difference. He has my unit now for the new VCO mod. As far as that goes all you guys should check out whats being done to the other models.

http://www.minelabmods.com

Thanks SGTFDA, I have sent a email asking some questions about the mods and also asked his opinion on the steel wool in a bag before I try it. I am not sure if there are any mods that have already been done to my SD2000 but i did swap with a mate of mine for an hour who had hired 3500 and apart from the background noises and easier ballancing I couldnt spot alot of difference, neither could he. On the test bed the 3500 was louder picking up the .22 bullet (lead only) at 12 inches, I would have probably mistaken it as background noise (very faint) with the 2000 if i didn't know where it was ( but im putting that down to lack of experience). Thanks again for the contact advise, can you offer any advise on the map reading?.

Kind regards

Cookie

Cookie

I would buy a computer map program of Austraila. Compare the old maps with the new. You can get the exact cords off the new map program for what ever spot you have a interest in. Print and mark a paper map. Use a gps unit and enter those locations. I use a Delorme Earthmate PN-20. I can download my topo maps into that unit.

I also use old maps to find locations and that method works for me.

If you can't read a map you need to read up on it. It's a skill you need.

Doug Stone has just released his latest edition of Metal Detecting for Gold and Relics...I suspect it would be a great help to a novice...or do your own research and hit the most remote old diggings you can find.

If you can afford one get an enhancer. Check every signal as the big deep ones don't always scream...Dig ME, Dig Me!!! and lastly...patience is required, lots of patience!

Fred

Some great advise here, I spent 15 Yrs in the Army and can read a map, There are some great Google satelite Maps of the areas that are close to home and these with the old toppo maps will help me heaps I am sure. I love 4wd ing and will try the remote old diggings as suggested. I have been in contact with Ismael and he has provided some very good adise on all the MODs. Reckon I am gonna have to get them done and get back out there. Thanks again for the links and advise.

Regards Cookie :woohoo:

Cookie

Let me know how the 2000 mods work out. We can compare notes. I've used my unit for about 4 years now and would not send you in that direction if I did not think it was the best thing for the 2000. You will have something special. Though you will need to stay in Austrailia with it. I don't want a bunch of guys running about beating me to the deep stuff here in the USA :icon_mrgreen:

Cookie

Let me know how the 2000 mods work out. We can compare notes. I've used my unit for about 4 years now and would not send you in that direction if I did not think it was the best thing for the 2000. You will have something special. Though you will need to stay in Austrailia with it. I don't want a bunch of guys running about beating me to the deep stuff here in the USA :icon_mrgreen:

Cheers Mate, I'm sure when I get to know "the tone" I will be finding plenty of the yellow stuff around here. I now know that I walked over heaps already without realizing it. I will keep you posted...... thanks again for the great assistance and advise. I had only ever heard good things abaout the 2000 and reckon that I made the right choise for the budget that I was on, the altrenative was a Eureka Gold. I have heard that coils are a personal preferance thing, Do you agree? and what sort of coil do you run? if you don't mind me asking.

Regards Cookie

Cookie in addition to your regular coils you will need a salt coil, a large 20 or 25" coil (I like the 25" open nuggetfinder) and a small 6". The mod you will be gettng can do special things with the salt coils. The large coil for large deep stuff and the 6" for tini things. Go to Ismaels forum and read all the past posts. When you use your frequency adjustments the 2000 will tell you when you are right on with a smooth sensitive tone. With a 25" I use a low frequency, 6" coil the high one. I have 6 frequencies on my unit and Ismael is doing the VCO mod for me where you can go from low to high, a adjustable frequency control.

Cookie in addition to your regular coils you will need a salt coil, a large 20 or 25" coil (I like the 25" open nuggetfinder) and a small 6". The mod you will be gettng can do special things with the salt coils. The large coil for large deep stuff and the 6" for tini things. Go to Ismaels forum and read all the past posts. When you use your frequency adjustments the 2000 will tell you when you are right on with a smooth sensitive tone. With a 25" I use a low frequency, 6" coil the high one. I have 6 frequencies on my unit and Ismael is doing the VCO mod for me where you can go from low to high, a adjustable frequency control.

Cheers SGT, I am going to have to find a coupla bits to pay for all the extras, The misses is getting noisier than the detector at the moment,,,,, but I'll show her. :+) :angry-smiley-010:

Cookie

Just tell her you bought it on ebay for $10. Works for me. Only problem is when I croak she will be giving everything away for nothing. So be at the garage sale. When I buy a gun as long as I can get it in the door I'm OK. They all look the same to her. Though I think she's on to me. The other day she walked out of the bedroom with one of those $500 purses. When I asked about it she said,"Oh this, I've had it forever". :Huh_anim]:

Cookie

Just tell her you bought it on ebay for $10. Works for me. Only problem is when I croak she will be giving everything away for nothing. So be at the garage sale. When I buy a gun as long as I can get it in the door I'm OK. They all look the same to her. Though I think she's on to me. The other day she walked out of the bedroom with one of those $500 purses. When I asked about it she said,"Oh this, I've had it forever". :Huh_anim]:

Sounds like my missus, lots of stuff I have never seen before but shes had it for ages, as for telling her only $10 on ebay, she is already on to it. She's the one with the $500 bags that aparently are genuine and only cost a 5er. You will have to send me an email when you croak it... Oh hang on,,, ask your missus to. I promise I will let her know that you can pick up a top of the line detector for less than $50.oo. :rofl2: ... On a serios note, I went out for a coupla hours today and was picking up horse shoe nails that were pretty well rusted at about 12inches. The ground here at the moment is rock hard and I'm spending more time digging than detecting. I supose thats only an issue when your getting the deeper signals. Im going to place over the weekend where a mate of mine picked up a 6gm nugget two weeks ago. I will send the detector to Ismael early next week. I have stuffed steel wool in the box and it definately helps..

Regards Cookie