Nugget Shooter Forums
garimpo

AMERICAN WARRIORS-PAST AND PRESENT

Subject: Happy Brother's Day To You

About 9% of the US population has served in the military. Just under one percent are serving on active duty today. These numbers are small but often it is the small things that nurture greatness. As our government is headed towards a most drastic reduction in our military capability at a time when we may be facing a growing worldwide threat from Russia, China and the Middle East, I worry that our culture has come to denigrate the contribution and sacrifice of those who serve. Bless you all.

You may have served in Combat or in non-combat.
You may have retired out or you may have served for a short time.
You may have been a draftee or a volunteer.
You may have served in the Corps, Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard or
the Merchant Marines,

BUT YOU SERVED. YOU DID YOUR JOB HONORABLY and for that I am PROUD to call
you Brother.

You may have served during Korea, WWII, Vietnam, Persian Gulf, Iraq or
Afghanistan, But you served, you did not run.

You have a DD 214 with those words "HONORABLY DISCHARGED" two of the most
noble words in the world.

Again I am proud to know each and every one of you.

* Today is Band of Brothers' Day* ; send this to all your brothers,
fathers, sons and fellow veterans you know. Happy Brothers' Day!

To the cool men that have touched my life: Here's to you!! I was never a
hero, but I am thankful and proud to have served among them.

A real Brother walks with you when the rest of the world walks on you.

Send to all your Band of Brothers, because the fake ones won't

ON MEMORIAL DAY, PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS, PRAY FOR PEACE. TODAY, WE STILL HAVE AMERICAN MEN AND WOMEN IN HARMS WAY. THE WAR IS NOT OVER FOR THEM.

TAKE A MINUTE TO WATCH THE FOLLOWING VIDEO, "THE WAY OF THE WARRIOR", IT SAYS IT ALL.

• Like 1

REMEMBER THESE WARRIORS

Ordinary men doing extraordinary things in very dangerous machines.

WE WEREN'T BORN OLD
Occasionally someone sends you a great video that you just have to share – this is one of those. Turn on sound!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU1oB8sGyYM

• Like 1

I saw one of my all time heros in that a Movie. R.A. "Bob" Hoover

• Like 1

You Won’t Believe How A 93 Year Old Is Celebrating the 70th Anniversary of D-Day

PeeWee.jpg

On June 6, 1944, 73,000 American men invaded Normandy, landing on beaches and parachuting over enemy lines to liberate occupied France during World War II.

On June 5, 2014, one World War II paratrooper demonstrated the spirit of the Greatest Generation by reenacting the heroic jump he made over Normandy 70 years ago today:

Seventy years ago, Jim ‘Pee Wee’ Martin of the legendary 101st Airborne Division parachuted into France, behind enemy lines, hours before the D-Day armada launched across the English Channel.

Today, at the age of 93, the Ohio World War Two hero jumped out of a plane again to mark the anniversary of the June 6, 1944, landings as a mark of respect to his comrades of the Greatest Generation who could not be there.

This time however, despite the veterans advanced age, the jump was a whole lot easier.

‘It didn’t compare,’ said Martin to CNN, ‘because there wasn’t anybody shooting at me today.’

Martin made his jump as ceremonies to commemorate the 70th anniversary of D-Day draw thousands of visitors to the cemeteries, beaches and stone-walled villages of Normandy this week.

The badass nonagenarian groused, “They are making me do a tandem. They are worried about me getting hurt. I said, ‘Don’t worry about it. If I get hurt or I get killed, what is the difference? I’ve lived 93 years. I’ve had a good life.’”

2,500 Americans lost their lives on D-Day. Now, an average of 555 WWII vets die a day, leaving us with a little more than 1 million of the 16 million who served.

Thank you, Mr. Martin, and the other brave men who stormed the beaches of Normandy and saved the world from totalitarianism. We are all in your debt.

• Like 1

This is a great 1-minute commercial. Not a word spoken.........and none needed.

• Like 1

Gotta love that one!

This is a Great Commercial......you'll understand why I posted it here.

• Like 2

:thumbsupanim Lowe's employees go the extra mile for Vet.

(Nice to see a good story for a change)

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1021921/pg1

http://www.11alive.com/story/life/2014/07/16/vietnam-vet-gets-new-wheelchair-after-lowes-employees-help-him/12765073/

......................................................................................................................

"Michael Sulsona had no idea a trip to Lowe's would end up changing his life.

The Marine Corps veteran, who lost both legs after stepping on a landmine in Vietnam in 1971, says he'd waited two years for the Department of Veterans Affairs to send him a new wheelchair. It finally arrived at his New York City home yesterday after the 62-year-old's story went viral following a random act of kindness.

Sulsona was shopping at a Lowe's on Staten Island when a bolt snapped on his old wheelchair last week.

Three employees stepped forward to repair the broken wheelchair. A photo was snapped of the legless Sulsona watching from a nearby chair. The story then caught fire on the Internet after he wrote a letter to a local paper. Days later, Sulsona opened his door to discover that the VA finally had delivered a new wheelchair.

The VA did not immediately respond to requests from TODAY.com for comment. Buzzfeed cited a spokesman for the New York Veterans' Association as confirming that the VA had delivered Sulsona a new wheelchair and would service it.

Sulsona, who blames "red tape" for his two-year wait, says he doesn't know if his story prompted the swift delivery.

"This isn't about bashing the VA," he told TODAY.com. "They're full of wonderful people but are overloaded because we fought too many wars and can't afford to take care of all the guys when they come back."

He added, "This is about these three guys who helped me — David, Marcus and Souleyman, and Sal, who called them over," he said. "The lesson is if someone's in trouble, you help them. As a society, we've gone so far from that that it's become newsworthy when someone is nice."

Sulsona says it took about 45 minutes to repair his wheelchair, which he will keep as a spare. By the time they finished, the store was closed and half the lights were out.

"I thank the guys and they look at me and say, 'It was our honor,'" he said."

• Like 1

Mother of All Flag Poles

This is about 20 miles south of Manitowoc.

Acuity Insurance Company is off of I-43. Acuity Insurance recently finished a flag pole project on their property in Sheboygan. The flag pole is the second tallest in the world and largest in the United States. Here’s just a few statistics, and a 1.5 minute video of the project.

The flag is 60’ x 120’

The pole is 400 feet tall and weighs 215 tons

The diameter is 11’ and 5’4” at the top

It took 500 gallons of paint, 667 yards of concrete were poured where the flag pole stands

Acuity purchased two commercial sewing machines and hired two employees to maintain the flags

It’s really quite impressive, and you certainly can’t miss it if you travel on I-43 through Sheboygan.

• Like 2

To shift the picture from the past to the present, left click on the original photo, and it will
become the exact same location today. Repeat the motion to take it back to the original.

http://interactive.guim.co.uk/embed/2014/apr/image-opacity-slider-master/index.html?ww2-dday

More of the same....

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2014/06/scenes-from-d-day-then-and-now/100752/

• Like 1

Ballsy work there!

Knowing the words to "The Star-Spangled Banner" is one thing, but how much do you know about the song itself? Here are five historical facts about our national anthem that may surprise you.
1. It was written with its current melody in mind.
It is commonly believed that Francis Scott Key wrote "The Star-Spangled Banner" as a poem that was later set to music, but this is not the case, according to Dr. David Hildebrand, the director of the Colonial Music Institute.
"The structure doesn't match any poem," Hildebrand says about Key's words.
Early copies of "The Star-Spangled Banner" simply included the lyrics because the tune was already so well known, Hildebrand explains.
Another interesting fact: Key's original title was called the "Defence of Fort McHenry."
2. It has male glee club origins.
Some rumors suggest that "The Star-Spangled Banner" was set to the tune of an old drinking song, but the tune has nothing to do with the consumption of alcohol, Hildebrand says. In fact, the drinking songs of yesteryear were more aristocratic male glee club and less "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall."
The origins for "The Star-Spangled Banner" came from "The Anacreontic Song" -- a theme song of sorts composed by John Stafford Smith for the Anacreontic Society, an 18th century amateur musicians' club for men. "The Anacreontic Song" is also sometimes called "To Anacreon in Heaven," which is also the opening line.
3. It is one of many songs written to the same music.
About a hundred different songs have been written to the melody of "The Anacreontic Song," Hildebrand says.
Key himself had already written words to the melody about nine years before the Battle of Baltimore, and this version opened with:
"When the warrior returns, from the battle afar, To the home and the country he nobly defended..." A patriotic ditty called "Adams and Liberty" was popular around the turn of the 19th century.
After Thomas Jefferson took power, a set of lyrics entitled "Jefferson and Liberty" were penned.
4. The smaller flag was likely flying "at the twilight's last gleaming."
Historians believe that the famous flag -- incredibly large at 30 by 42 feet -- wasn't flying the night of the attack. Hildebrand explains that it was pouring rain, so Fort McHenry was probably displaying a smaller storm flag (17 by 25 feet long).
Mary Pickersgill was asked to sew the two flags for the fort, making her, not Betsy Ross, the woman behind the star-spangled banner flag.
Hildebrand says this does not undermine the significance of the flag or the anthem, and the grand flag was flying "by the dawn's early light."
The large flag is now part in the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of American History in Washington, D.C., but the whereabouts of the storm flag are unknown.
5. It didn't become the official national anthem until 1931.
While "The Star-Spangled Banner" was popular during the 1800s, the song didn't become the national anthem until the early 1930s. The military had adopted it for ceremonial purposes decades earlier, but it took legislation signed in 1931 by President Herbert Hoover to make it official.

Dancing with the stars

At first it was thought the girl

was one of his daughters.

PresBush.jpg
CLASS DOESN'T MAKE THE NEWS!

Green and white shirt, black tee shirt, gray pants

and tennis shoes.

How many people know that President Bush hosts

a few Wounded Warriors at his ranch

10 weekends every year?

Every year! All expenses paid!

Not what you expect to see, huh?

There he is, dancing with a "Wounded Warrior"

who has lost a leg but still dances.

We will NEVER see a story or picture

like this from NBC, CBS, ABC, The New York Times,

or The Washington Post.

God Bless America
  • Like 1

Bellevue, Nebraska. Farmer

A farmer does this with his tractor. He uses GPS to get the letters readable.

He has done this every fall for several years now.

Here's the view from the flight pattern into OFFUTT AIR FORCE BASE Bellevue , NE , just south of Omaha ..

This is what our servicemen see when landing at OFFUTT AFB.

Hat tip to the Bellevue farmer, Chris Shotton, who made it happen!

ForFreedom1.jpg
ForFreedom2.jpg
Okay e-mail buddies, let's keep this going until everyone has seen it without the news media's help.

This should have made national news.

Imagine how this must feel to all those servicemen seeing it for the first time.

It tells them that we do care and that we do support them.

Let's make it a BIG THANK YOU by sending it around the world.

• Like 1

RONeil.jpg

BUTTE, Montana -

Robert O’Neill, the former United States Navy SEAL who shot and killed Osama Bin Laden, had his home mistakenly invaded by members of a street gang this morning shortly after 1AM. O’Neill was uninjured, the five intruders all suffered injuries and remain hospitalized, but are expected to make a full recovery. Their names were not released in anticipation of the oncoming media storm.

Butte Police Commissioner Bartholomew S. Harrington told members of the Associated Press in a brief press conference that the five men, part of a local street gang connected with the infamous Crips, were seeking to collect on a drug debt and invaded the wrong house, with the intended target just so happening to be the next door neighbor of O’Neill’s.

“Mr. O’Neill had just turned in for the night, but was awoken by a loud crash when his backdoor was abruptly kicked in. As the five thugs ran aimlessly through the home, Mr. O’Neill used silent hand-to-hand combat tactics to individually disarm them of their weapons. Once Mr. O’Neill had taken down the five men and secured his home, he brewed a pot of coffee and called the police station. Those boys sure did find the wrong house!” commissioner Harrington said as he chuckled.

O’Neill had little to say on the matter when Butte Daily Times journalist Kevin Williamson interviewed the celebrated war hero.

“It was nothing really. Those kids didn’t have their mission planned out properly and hit the wrong target. I hated to break their wrists and dislocate each of their knees like I did, but it was necessary in order to immobilize the invasion. I hope they get the money that is owed to them once they get out of jail and decide to live better lives. My main concern is getting my back door fixed. Those boys really did a number on the door jamb,” O’Neill stated.

The neighbor who was the intended target seems to have abandoned home and has not been found by police. According to the men in custody, the debt was over a $50 bag of marijuana.

• Like 2