Nugget Shooter Forums
garimpo

AMERICAN WARRIORS-PAST AND PRESENT

That is awesome...... also glad to see a little remembrance for Vietnam too....

This ad was made by veterans. I'm passing it on because they don't have the money to put it on television so everyone can see it. Veterans will understand. Let's get this out.

That's is why they are referred to as the quiet professionals........

I posted that on my Facebook wall and said what I think of that narcissist A-hole

Well ... No disrespect here ... but I wasn't going to listen to another 20+ minute video tonight. Glad I did ... That man is what America is all about! MSG Benevidas I thank you for your service and your sacrifice ... you are the REAL American that I remember growing up that seems to have faded away in recent years.

Mike F

post-300-0-40879600-1349615074_thumb.jpg post-300-0-68055900-1349616863_thumb.jpg

NEW YORK – In a ceremony that was more joyful than solemn, the U.S. Navy on Saturday commissioned the USS Michael Murphy, a sleek new warship named for a Navy SEAL who died in Afghanistan at age 29.

Cannons boomed, dignitaries spoke of heroism, and nearly 300 sailors charged up a ramp while a band played "Anchors Aweigh" as the destroyer sprang to life in a ceremony in New York Harbor.

"You are now our family, our team," the ship's commander, Tom Shultz, told Murphy's parents, before leading hundreds of visitors in a SEAL battle cry.

"Hooyah, Michael Murphy!" Shultz said, pointing skyward.

Murphy, a Navy lieutenant who grew up in Patchogue, N.Y., was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions during a 2005 ambush. Military officials said that after his four-man team was surrounded, Murphy risked exposure to enemy fire so he could radio a base for help.

The helicopter that rushed to the rescue was shot down, killing 16 sailors and soldiers. Murphy died on the battlefield. Only one man in his squad survived.

The 510-foot ship bearing his name was draped in red, white and blue banners and festooned with flags for Saturday's ceremony on a pier on Manhattan's west side.

Navy Secretary Ray Mabus said the ship would guarantee that Murphy's story would be retold. U.S. Rep. Peter King heralded the young sailor for "unbridled courage." U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer recounted stories of how Murphy, since he was a child, had empathy for others.

The $1.1 billion warship, built at the Bath Iron Works in Maine, is to be based in Hawaii.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.c...s#ixzz28cNC13jP

The cross is back and the atheists can never do their thing again......

post-1252-0-99885600-1353780745_thumb.jp

post-1252-0-05154500-1353780756_thumb.jp

• Like 1

For wounded veterans, medical advances both improve life and offer new challenges

post-300-0-51447200-1356646788_thumb.jpg

Sgt. John Peck, a former Marine who served in Afghanistan in 2010, still vividly recalls the day he became a quadruple amputee.

Peck, who was a muscular six-footer, was leading a sweep into a compound in the town of Sangin, located in the Helmand Province. After inspecting bedrooms and small crawl spaces, the team moved outdoors and Peck remembers suddenly flying through the air. There was dirt and he could see colors and shapes and thought to himself.

"I don’t want to die here," Peck remembers thinking.

"I don’t want to die here."

- Sgt. John Peck, after being injured in Afghanistan

"I woke up two months later, and basically found out that I don't have arms or legs no more," he said.

His injuries were extensive, and have so far required 29 surgeries. To be sure, in any other war in history, he would be dead. But like many other veterans, Peck, now 27, is preparing for a life as an injured veteran.

He and so many others are overcoming what has become one of the signature wounds facing American warriors since 9/11 – from IED or roadside bomb blasts that have led to amputations and traumatic brain injuries. The severity of these injuries has forced the medical field and its technology to evolve.

"People see me and think, 'He needs help 24 hours a day,'" he said. "Every day I brush my teeth, take care of what I need to do."

He said he can make his own meals and "can adapt for everything." He has already been skydiving and scuba diving and now has his sights set on cliff jumping.

But the physical injuries were not all that Peck had to overcome. Shortly after he was injured, his young wife left him. He called the divorce the darkest period of his life, a time he spent secluded in his hospital room. His wife could not "hang" with his injuries, Peck said. But the once vibrant and athletic Marine had no choice, and fortunately, he had support.

For two months, his mother Lisa sat beside him at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Bethesda, Md. She placed her hand on his chest—to show that she was there—and sang him a few country songs. As her son lingered on the edge of consciousness, she found herself talking to him as though he could understand her, trying to convince him to pull through. She would tell him that he is still a young man and urged him to hang in there. But she also remembered telling him that she understands "if you need to go."

Lisa does not remember much from the day she found out about her son's injuries.

"I've been told that I pulled into the driveway and didn't even put my car in park," she said. "I jumped out of the car and asked, 'What did they do to my baby?'"

Technological advances have helped these veterans gain some semblance of a normal life. Peck, who has the distinction of being among five other veterans who have lost all their limbs at war, relishes off-road driving in his Track Chair—or a wheelchair designed to function as an all-terrain vehicle.

The Track Chair sells for $15,000 and the money was raised by a non-profit called the Independence Fund and a New York firefighter external-link.pngwho impersonates Elvis. The Veterans Administration cannot afford to provide these off-road vehicles to all amputees.

Prosthetic limbs once designed out of plastic have improved substantially over the past few years. They are now, by and large, made from titanium, which is considered to be more resistant to infection.

Soldiers have outposts at the forefront of battles where life-saving treatment, once reserved for large-city hospitals, can be done on the fly.

Col. Rocco Armonda has performed 600 brain surgeries in the past 12 years. He provided neurological care from an Army field tent south of Fallujah in Iraq. He has become an authoritative voice on decompressive craniotomy and offered advice to doctors who operated on Rep. Gabby Giffords, the former Arizona congresswoman shot by a madman in 2011.

One element that has changed when treating brain injuries is removing half the skull for four to six months. This is longer than usual, due to concerns over delayed swelling and infection.

"The biggest thing that we're doing now is not trying to remove every single fragment of bone or every single piece of metal that penetrates into the cranial vault," he said. "We're doing much larger incisions."

Lt. Col. Eric Holt is on a medical fellowship at Walter Reed studying ways to cope with chronic pain. One of his studies includes ways to prevent brain trauma and PTSD by localizing anesthesia on a battlefield rather than using morphine.

Holt is notable because he is one of Armona's former patients. His skull was smashed in Afghanistan back in January 2009, when an anti-tank mine exploded.

He likened his injury to swimming while dressed in a formal suit. Everything is slower.

"There is a significant amount of frustration because you know what you can do but you just don't quite know how to get there," he said.

For Peck, however, "stuff can always be worse," and has made a life for himself in Fredricksburg, Va. He lives with his mother and maintains an upbeat disposition. He is contemplating starting a landscaping business, but admits he might just prefer to relax on a beach somewhere.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/26/for-wounded-veterans-medical-advances-both-improve-life-and-offer-new/?intcmp=features#ixzz2GIG6WM8c

Shifty
And think of the media circus, flags at half staff, and all the things that were said of Whitney Houston when she died and Michael Jackson when he died. . This hero died with barely anyone's notice.
No Comment required
post-300-0-14363800-1358074801_thumb.jpg

"Shifty" By Chuck Yeager

Shifty volunteered for the airborne in WWII and served with
Easy

Company of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, part of the 101st

Airborne Infantry. If you've seen Band of Brothers on HBO or the

History Channel, you know Shifty. His character appears in all 10

episodes, and Shifty himself is interviewed in several of them.

I met Shifty in the Philadelphia airport several years ago. I didn't

know who he was at the time. I just saw an elderly gentleman having

trouble reading his ticket. I offered to help, assured him that he was

at the right gate, and noticed the "Screaming Eagle," the symbol of

the 101st Airborne, on his hat.

Making conversation, I asked him if he'd been in the 101st Airborne

or if his son was serving. He said quietly that he had been in the

101st. I thanked him for his service, then asked him when he served,

and how many jumps he made. Quietly and humbly, he said "Well, I guess I signed up in 1941 or so, and was in until sometime in 1945 ..." at which point my heart skipped.

At that point, again, very humbly, he said "I made the 5 training

jumps at Toccoa, and then jumped into Normandy . . . do you know

where Normandy is?" At this point my heart stopped.

I told him "yes, I know exactly where Normandy is, and I know what

D-Day was." At that point he said "I also made a second jump into

Holland , into Arnhem .." I was standing with a genuine war hero ...

and then I realized that it was June, just after the anniversary of

D-Day.

I asked Shifty if he was on his way back from France , and he said

"Yes... And it 's real sad because, these days, so few of the guys are

left, and those that are, lots of them can't make the trip." My heart

was in my throat and I didn't know what to say.

I helped Shifty get onto the plane and then realized he was back in

coach while I was in First Class. I sent the flight attendant back to

get him and said that I wanted to switch seats. When Shifty came

forward, I got up out of the seat and told him I wanted him to have

it, that I'd take his in coach.

He said "No, son, you enjoy that seat. Just knowing that there are

still some who remember what we did and who still care is enough to

make an old man very happy." His eyes were filling up as he said it.

And mine are brimming up now as I write this.

Shifty died on Jan. l7 after fighting cancer.

There was no parade.

No big event in Staples Center .

No wall-to-wall, back-to-back 24x7 news coverage.

No weeping fans on television.

And that's not right!

Let's give Shifty his own memorial service, online, in our own quiet way.

Please forward this email to everyone you know. Especially to the veterans.

Rest in peace, Shifty.

Chuck Yeager, Maj. General [ret.]

P.S. I think that it is amazing how the "media" chooses our "heroes" these days...

Elvis, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston & the like.

post-300-0-86564800-1358074818_thumb.jpg

"SHIFTY" - an incredible American hero.
Please do me a favor and pass this on so that untold thousands can read it.
We owe no less to our REAL Heroes.
“Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.” -Benjamin Franklin

Psalm 97:6
The heavens proclaim His righteousness, and all the nations see His glory.

One correction to the above ...Darrell "Shifty" Powers died June 17, 2009. He was a true hero and deserved better than to die of cancer at 86 years old. The above was also not written by Yeager but by a Dow Jones worker named Mark Pfiefer ... he wrote an email about a chance encounter and it apparently went viral according to Snopes.

No matter the writer which really isn't important here "Shifty" was a true hero and was in E Company during WWII.

Mike F

Elvis, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston & the like.

I will add one small thing to that list. Elvis Aaron Presley served with pride in the US Army. Something that a lot of people don't know is that he DID NOT "sell" his dirty assignments. Those of you that served know it was commonplace for guys with a few bucks to pay someone to do their KP or Guard Mount or any other distasteful assignments. With the kind of money Elvis had he could have bribed the Base Commander to shine his boots. If you never served please believe me that this kind of behavior says a lot about a young Tanker that still had his feet on the ground. RIP Elvis. The rest of them ..... rot in hell B*TCH!

• Like 1

I would like to note the passing of a lonely ol'vet I've been helping out for quite a few years. Frank Volpicella was 87 and his heart finally gave out on January 22,2013. He served 2 tours in Europe and volunteered to go. He died with no family to speak of, no friends but m. But he helped out the vets during stand downs and helped me/clubs put on panning demos at schools and charity events as fundraisers for Carter House Museum, Tower House Museum,Judge Eaton museum and new playground equipment for French Creek school after flood washed theirs away. A good honest hardworking lonely ol'man with a MEANER than a junkyard exterior but a heart a gold when ya tried hard to get there. Anyhow nuttn' but a alzheimer sis left so wanted someone ,someplace to post his passing. I've had his dog tags entoumbed with him for eternity as he was a good man, a great soldier and a dear friend-John Oates

• Like 1

RIP Frank

Yup ... R.I.P. ... A well deserved rest for a brave soul!

Mike F

This video will take a few minutes of
your time, but is well worth watching.

Password to view is... iaf

Here is the most brilliant statement ever made
without a word being said!!

This American-born, Veteran of the
United States Army, law abiding, taxpaying citizen was told by his Home Owners’
Association that he could not fly the American Flag in his yard.

This is his response:post-300-0-26869800-1361465576_thumb.jpg

Famed members of the World War II Doolittle Bombing Raid on Tokyo hold final public reunion

B-251.jpg

B-252.jpg

EGLIN AIR FORCE BASE, Fla. – Retired Lt. Col. Richard Cole is 97, but that didn't stop him from taking the controls and flying a vintage B-25 bomber at a reunion of the famous World War II Doolittle Raiders.

Cole is one of four surviving crew members from the 1942 raid on Tokyo. Three of the men gathered at Eglin Air Force Base in Florida this week to mark the 71st anniversary of the April 18 raid. The men have said this will be their final public reunion.

Cole was mission commander James Doolittle's co-pilot when the 16 B-25s flew off an aircraft carrier and bombed Japan just four months after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

Eglin Air Force Based named an F-35 Joint Strike Fighter hangar for 93-year-old surviving raider Edward Saylor on Wednesday.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/18/famed-members-world-war-ii-doolittle-bombing-raid-on-tokyo-hold-final-public/?test=latestnews#ixzz2QogxMusI

The one-armed warrior: An Israeli soldier's tale of struggle and perseverance

IzzyEzagui.jpg

When a suicide bomb ripped through a pizzeria in downtown Jerusalem in 2001, killing 15 and wounding 130 more, 13-year-old Izzy Ezagui, who was visiting from America, found his calling.

Five years later, the New York-born Ezagui became a dual citizen and joined Israel’s Defense Forces – and not even the loss of his left arm in a mortar attack has kept him from the solemn commitment he made as a boy. In 2010, Ezagui became the first soldier in Israel’s history to rejoin the army in a military role after sustaining such an injury in combat.

Ezagui, who currently serves in Israel's Special Forces Paratrooper Unit and who received an award for his service from Israeli President Shimon Peres, doesn't consider himself special.

Izzy.jpg

"I’m just an ordinary guy," Ezagui said in an interview. "I had the will to do this one thing and I succeeded because I was passionate about it. I wanted to prove to myself that I was still worth something. If I can do it, so can anyone else."

"I wanted to prove to myself that I was still worth something."

- Izzy Ezagui, special forces paratrooper

While the unassuming 24-year-old recounts his personal story of struggle and determination, it's clear his tale is far from ordinary.

Ezagui, a religious Jew who was born in Brooklyn and raised in Miami, had traveled to Israel with family in the summer of 2001 to celebrate his bar mitzvah.

On Aug. 9, 2001, Ezagui and his parents dropped their clothes off at a Laundromat adjacent to a Sbarro pizzeria at the corner of King George Street and Jaffa Road in Jerusalem – one of Israel’s busiest intersections.

Twenty minutes after Ezagui left the area, Hamas member Izz al-Din Shuheil al-Masri detonated a belt laden with explosives, including nails, nuts and bolts, inside the Sbarro restaurant, killing 13 Israelis – seven of whom were children – a pregnant American and a Brazilian national. Hamas claimed the attack was in retaliation for Israel’s assassination days earlier of its two leading commanders, as well as six Palestinian civilians, including two children.

"It left a mark on me," Ezagui said of the Jerusalem bombing. "I remember thinking, 'This is awful. I want to be able to do something to stop things like this from happening.'"

It wasn't until Ezagui turned 18 that his dream became a reality. He obtained dual citizenship in 2007 and first joined the IDF as a volunteer. When his family moved to Israel shortly after, he joined full-time, beginning his two-and-a-half year hitch in February 2008.

"I didn’t know a word of Hebrew," Ezagui said. "It was really difficult. I would say I suffered in the beginning."

After nine months of training, Ezagui and his brigade were sent to the Gaza border as part of what Israel called "Operation Cast Lead." The Israeli Air Force had started bombing targets in Gaza, while Hamas rockets were hitting the country's south.

When a captain in the same battalion as Ezagui's died from a rocket-propelled grenade while fighting inside Gaza, the 19-year-old was told his platoon was being sent in to reinforce the captain's unit. While contemplating whether to tell his mother – who believed her son was at the Lebanese border with other troops "washing dishes" – Ezagui was struck inside his tent by a mortar shell with a 30-meter kill radius.

The explosive shattered his left elbow, tearing off most of his arm and leaving him bleeding profusely. Others inside the tent were also gravely wounded, with some losing limbs that were later reattached.

"The mortars should have killed me and all my friends that were right there," he said. "Yet when I woke up after surgery, I had this intense desire to go back."

His request, however, was met with strong resistance from Israeli officials, including Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who nicely told the teen from his hospital bed that he could not rejoin the IDF in a military position, Ezagui recalled.

But Ezagui persisted, crediting in part the "chutzpah" he said he had learned from other Israelis.

"I thought, 'What's the most amazing thing I can do with my situation?' And I realized right away it was going back. And that was something that was just unheard of."

Ezagui was turned down at every request -- with some officials encouraging him to pursue another career. Then came along Yoav Gallant, Israel’s General of Southern Command, who said "Okay" when Ezagui asked if he could return to the front lines.

"I kind of did a double-take," said Ezagui, who eight months later telephoned the general to follow up on his promise.

"He was a man of his word," Ezagui said of Gallant. A month or two later, the teenager met with the head medical officer of Southern Command, who told Ezagui he would be a danger to himself and other officers on the battlefield, and offered him a desk position as an intelligence officer.

But Ezagui and Gallant pressed on, with the general arranging another meeting with the head of an infantry unit who allowed Ezagui to retest to see if he were capable of fighting in combat.

"If I succeeded, they said they would find a role for me," he said. "I had to figure out everything from scratch – un-jamming an assault rifle, climbing rope, jumping over 7-foot walls."

On the day of the test, Ezagui was tasked with charging up a hill covered with targets, forcing him to roll, dive and shoot his way to the top. He passed the test – though was soon questioned by the same skeptical doctor about how he planned to use a grenade.

"We had completely forgotten about grenades, and I didn’t have a solution," Ezagui said. After telling the doctor he'd "sleep on it," Ezagui's quandary was short-lived.

"I figured out that if I wrap enough scotch tape around the pin I could yank it out with my teeth," he said. "And that's how I throw grenades."

Ezagui was sent out as an active-duty combat soldier and, five months later, passed a commander training test – the first soldier in Israel’s army to ace the exam with such a disability.

In the U.S., amputees, like Ezagui, are not permitted to return to their former combat roles. And the 24-year-old soldier said he understands why: "I don’t think what we need are 1,000 one-armed or one-legged warriors running around. There are others who can take up that burden."

When asked whether other soldiers should be given the same consideration, he said, "That’s not for me to say. Who am I to tell others what to do?"

"I like to share my story and let them take from it whatever they would like," said Ezagui, who is currently penning a memoir titled 'Single Handed.'"

"If they really feel that that’s what they have to do to feel complete and whole, then I say don’t let anything or anybody get in your way," he said.

For more on Izzy Ezagui’s story, visit www.Izzy-Speaks.com.