Nugget Shooter Forums

Good Weekend For All

I am glad to hear that many of our friends are finding some of the new fall in West, Texas. Sorry that I couldnt go also. On a brighter note I did find a few space rocks of my own on one of the dry lakes not to far from me. I'll post pics when I get home from work photobucket doesnt work here for some reason.

All:

Congratulations to Dustin on his three finds. Along with my one (just over 3 grams) we collected four meteorites at SuV; it was a good day. Below is my pic. Mine is a very weathered fragment and has almost a reddish purple tint to it. One of Dustin’s finds is a real beauty – a complete stone with some remnant fusion crust and low magnetic attraction. :yourock:

I hope everyone is doing well in Texas and the landowners are cooperating. Sometimes they can be real serious in Texas – as I lived in Austin for 9 years. I’m looking forward to all the pics, videos and stories of everyone’s hunting experiences. This really needs to get into Meteorite magazine – perhaps the cover. :whoopie:

Well thanks to all the collectors there for finding as much material ASAP before the farming season and growth in the fields.

- Greg

post-3520-1235414351_thumb.jpg

MH, you might do a streak test on that stone. The reddish-purple tint as you mention has me thinking it might be hematite or some other rock rather than a meteorite. Did you file a window in it? The appearance just doesn't look right to me, but then again, I've been meteorite deprived a few weeks now... Good luck, Jason. :;):

Greg and Dustin,

Congratulations on your new finds. Are there others to pair to in that area? What were the conditions on the dry lake? What did Dustin's stones weigh? Were all the stones clusterered fairly close together, or spread out by miles?

Ben

Here are the weights respectively to the pics I posted earlier.

1.9g first find of the day

1.5g this one was found with in 50 feet of the first find

7.6g found on the other side of the dry lake

MH, you might do a streak test on that stone. The reddish-purple tint as you mention has me thinking it might be hematite or some other rock rather than a meteorite. Did you file a window in it? The appearance just doesn't look right to me, but then again, I've been meteorite deprived a few weeks now... Good luck, Jason. :;):

Jason:

The photo is washed out so it's hard to see the right color. I did the streak and it’s not red or black and It’s softer than quartz. This rules out magnetite, hematite or any Jasper containing hematite or magnetite. I made a little window and it shows a tiny speck of iron. There are also some more orange areas suggesting rusting. This fragment is very weathered so it does not look like a typical meteorite. Also, I think the darker purplish red is from staining or some type of varnish.

Greg

Greg and Dustin,

Congratulations on your new finds. Are there others to pair to in that area? What were the conditions on the dry lake? What did Dustin's stones weigh? Were all the stones clusterered fairly close together, or spread out by miles?

Ben

Ben:

Mine weighs 3.2 grams and is a weathered fragment; I found it near the location where I found my very first meteorite back in May 2006, :whoopie: the SW area of the lake. I do not think they are paired since my first was an L4 and you could see the chondrules on the outside surface – like cottage cheese..

Jason’s first two were relatively close together but mine and his second were on opposite ends of the lake. They differ in magnetism attraction and appearance, so I think they are different stones.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Your 3.2 gram fragment may be weathered but, the color is actually very normal. Cool too! I have many Franconias that are that same color, and I'm very fond of them. I think you need to go back and find some more frags in that part of the playa.

Ben

Dustin and Greg,

Nice finds you both made. You guys got me going now to hit the dry lake beds around New Mexico. Congratulations on your finds guys! Any chance on posting some more pictures of your finds?

Dean

Dustin and Greg, hey congrats on those finds guys, excellent for the Cali lakebeds!

Hey Jason, I know and I've hunted with both these guys out here in California. Gregs been a dry lake bed hunter for a few years now, he's got quit a few finds under his belt (probably more than he's scored at Franconia and Gold Basin combined! :laught16: ) and he's even in the book on some classifications. Dustin's had some really good finds too when he gets the time to do this.

Dustin, try using the macro setting on your camera. This should do the trick to get some good close up pics.

Good job guys, keep up the good work. :;):

Del

tried using Macro. i think it is the lighting

Aloha Dustin,

You might want to use natural lighting or if you have photoshop that will cure all your problems. A tripod will also work better in the natural lighting as it will let your camera to the work for you. Good luck with the pics.

Nice specimens bro.

aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi