Nugget Shooter Forums

GMT vs. Eureka Gold?

C. Little

Im thinking on buying a GMT or Eureka Gold. I have a couple of questions Im hoping you guys can help me figure out which one I should go with. Which one has the greater search depth? Which one do you guys think is the better machine... I know the Minelab is more expensive but since they are both VLF's is it really worth the extra bucks??? :hmmmmmm:

C. Little....I read your post and could'nt leave it alone :Huh_anim]:

Minelab makes some really GREAT machines. As a matter of FACT for SERIOUS deep gold hunting at the moment you can't beat the P.I. units they make.

I've had the oppertunity to purchase new 2 of them a Eureka gold and a 2100 V2.

As far as the VLF's go, I have to tell you I am EXTREMELY PARTIAL to the GMT ...ALL THUMBS UP :icon_mrgreen: I am deaf in one ear and the audio on the GMT with Black Widow headphones is SUPREME for me.

There is alot of small gold in the area I live. And my GMT has proven to be a "AAA" class nugget finder, (last season one patch produced over 60 pieces with the GMT) , Also top notch piece of equipment for picking up Meteorites.

As far as a side by side comparasion on DEPTH Capabilities I have not been able to do that as I did not own both machines at the same time.

However, you must remember soil conditions and other variables, operator experience, weather, etc all have an effect on any machines performance.

Bottom line I won't let go of my GMT, to me its the best invention for nugget an meteorite huntn since TOILET PAPER. :twocents: :laught16::laught16::laught16:

Thats MY story an I'm stickin to it.

Minelab makes some really GREAT machines. As a matter of FACT for SERIOUS deep gold hunting at the moment you can't beat the P.I. units they make.

As far as the VLF's go, I have to tell you I am EXTREMELY PARTIAL to the GMT ...ALL THUMBS UP :icon_mrgreen: I am deaf in one ear and the audio on the GMT with Black Widow headphones is SUPREME for me.

There is alot of small gold in the area I live. And my GMT has proven to be a "AAA" class nugget finder, (last season one patch produced over 60 pieces with the GMT) , Also top notch piece of equipment for picking up Meteorites.

As far as a side by side comparasion on DEPTH Capabilities I have not been able to do that as I did not own both machines at the same time.

However, you must remember soil conditions and other variables, operator experience, weather, etc all have an effect on any machines performance.

Bottom line I won't let go of my GMT, to me its the best invention for nugget an meteorite huntn since TOILET PAPER. :twocents: :laught16::laught16::laught16:

Thanks Frank,

I appreciate your 02. I know from reading posts here that the GMT is a great and coveted machine. I dont have the experience and want to make the best choice toward finding some nuggies within my budget. I cant afford a PI. Oh, and do any of you use the 14" elliptical with your GMT's? If anyone else wants to chime in that would be great.

Aloha C. Little,

I started outwith the stock coil on my GMT BUT was talked into going with the goldmax sierra coil. THANKS JIM FOR HOUNDING ME!

Yes I use the honker coil exclusively now just because it works for me so well. It does take a little getting used to the sensitivity but once you figure it out: WOW! :whoopie:

I will PM you with some info on how I hunt with the goldmax coil but you really should get the whites training video and watch it a bunch of times as you will "see" something new each time you watch it.

Good luck with your purchase.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

I think the GMT is hands down the better choice of the two. I think its much better on really small gold and its ground tracking is every bit as good. Plus you can't beat the discrimination abilities of the GMT. I don't think you will find any difference in the depth capabilities between the two either. I have a GMT for areas that contain really small gold but have two Minelab PI's, a 4000 and a 2100v2. Because of the discrimination capabilities I will use the Whites when hunting a lot of the tailing piles in the hydraulic pits in my area. Hope this helps.

Wes

Kaimi and Hawkeye thanks for the 411. That narrows it down. Im still lookin at the xterra 70. Talked with Bill from Minelab today...compelling info. It will probabbly depend on the best deal I can get on either one used. Kaimi I live in Las Vegas as well. We might have to hook up and shoot some nugget shite!

C. Little,

You will not go wrong with the GMT if a VLF is what you have decided upon. My favorite detector is my hip mount GMT, I also have a stick mount. The stock coil is adequate for most situations, however if you want to cover more ground and go a little deeper, take Stans advice and pick up the Sierra Gold Max. Had to hit Kaimi over the head with a hammer to get him to use the Gold Max for hunting meteorites, after he got used to it, he won"t take it off.

Frank brought his GMT over and I taught him how to run it in my front yard and he has never looked back. He is now in tune with his detector, has the confidence and is doing great in the hills. You heard him say that he took 60 nuggets out of one patch, I can guarantee that he didn't miss many.

I also have an Xterra-70 and love it, it just does not match up with the GMT on small gold, large gold or specimen gold. There are those that will tell you a different story and their story will hold some water, but not all ground is the same and the GMT in my opinion can handle about anything.

My 70 is a good backup and is my primary detector for hunting coins and relics, be it parks/or the beach. If I had to give up all my detectors (7 of them) and keep just one to use in hunting meteorites, gold, coins, relics, etc.............I would have to pick the Xterra-70.

You have to decide if you want a detector that will do everything fairly good or one that is a super gold and meteorite getter. Most all the shallow big gold is gone but there is still a bunch of small gold out there.

:twocents:

Jim

Hey Frank C...I am hearing impaired and just bought a brand new GMT with my regular headphone last week from GPAA Treasure show in Phoenix. But I will plan to buy a new vibraphone 250 to help me as well. Minelab Eureka did not work with it. My headphone is still good enough for me to hear because of my cochlear implant. I tested it. It easily made me very good frequencies and high pitching from GMT. It's very helpful to me! My some friends recommended me to use it. :headphones:

MB

Hey Frank C...I am hearing impaired and just bought a brand new GMT with my regular headphone last week from GPAA Treasure show in Phoenix. But I will plan to buy a new vibraphone 250 to help me as well. Minelab Eureka did not work with it. My headphone is still good enough for me to hear because of my cochlear implant. I tested it. It easily made me very good frequencies and high pitching from GMT. It's very helpful to me! My some friends recommended me to use it. :headphones:

MB

GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU ON THE FORUM AND I HOPE YOU ARE DOING WELL.

IF YOU HAVE THE OPPERTUNITY TO EXPERIENCE THE "BLACK WIDOW" HEADPHONE MADE BY THE HEAD HUNTER COMPANY I BELIEVE YOU WILL BE AMAZED IN THE AUDIO OUTPUT. I GAURANTEE IT.

GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU ON THE FORUM AND I HOPE YOU ARE DOING WELL.

IF YOU HAVE THE OPPERTUNITY TO EXPERIENCE THE "BLACK WIDOW" HEADPHONE MADE BY THE HEAD HUNTER COMPANY I BELIEVE YOU WILL BE AMAZED IN THE AUDIO OUTPUT. I GAURANTEE IT.

Hi Frank...In future, I would like to meet you in person. So we might work together to determine more understanding through our different sounds from White GMT. We should be the same deafness culture. :laught16: Sure! I will try to test Black Widow headphone when my time is permitted. Please which website did you find with the Head Hunter Company? I would be appreciated. Thank you for info about it. :icon_mrgreen:

Hi C.Little,

I too did my homework and I just bought a GMT it is on it's way to me as we speak. I did research and am waiting to get mine. I know it's going to work better then me but I am going to learn everything I can from it and others. So good luck on your purchase. Mine is commin!!!

You can buy some extra stem extensions, place a small coil on it and have a 10 foot long unit. You use that for looking under those deep ledges. I had a GMT but someone from Vegas ran off with it.

On the other hand when I use my SD2000GPM with a 24" coil I convert my Troy to a short unit and use it for a pinpointer in those deep holes.

post-384-1235848063_thumb.jpg

You can buy some extra stem extensions, place a small coil on it and have a 10 foot long unit. You use that for looking under those deep ledges. I had a GMT but someone from Vegas ran off with it.

On the other hand when I use my SD2000GPM with a 24" coil I convert my Troy to a short unit and use it for a pinpointer in those deep holes.

Yep, it's a great unit. And no you cant have it back! :Huh_anim]:

Mahalo for the trade Sgt.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi