Nugget Shooter Forums

New Member and Hunter Intro

Hi all

I been aware of these forums for awhile but just recently joined I just started getting into this hobby.

Very fasinated , after discovering some videos on youtube from ruben garcia.

I also joined this year the southern ca prospectors club.

I live in the palmdale and lancaster area ? any other hunters out this way ?

I recently started hunting around local dry lake spots such as El mirage so far nothing yet.

The metal detector I currently have is Treasure Hunter model XJ9 Looking into getting a Garrett later on .

This next week I'm going on trip with some family to death valley and secretly plan to try and put my new found metorite hunting knowledge to the test, I know detectors aren't allowed there Has anyone

Hunted in the death valley area any good tips.

Also would love to hear from anyone who lives around palmdale or surrounding area.

Talks to everyone later

Phillip

Hi Phillip,

Welcome to the forum. You are in a good place to do some meteorite hunting. You need to get a Neodymium magnet and fashion yourself a meteorite cane. It will be a welcome companion for the Death Valley area. We have some members in Cali that can get you started.

Ben

Phillip,

You found the best Forum around with some very knowledgeable folks who will help you get started. You will learn a lot on this Forum from some of the most friendly folks on the Planet. Watch the Neo mags if you have never handled them.

I use a Whites GMT which was recommended by Ruben. A great choice and a great machine. Perfect for Meteorites and Gold as well. One just sold on the Forum for $450, it was almost new with very little use.

Welcome and good luck on your first find.

Dean

Aloha Phillip,

Welcome to the forum. First you will need a good rare earth magnet to be able to hunt with. you might check out CMS Magnetics as they have just about every size and strength imaginable at very good prices. I would probably get a couple now to save the trouble of having to get another one later when you will need one for a pick.

Good luck hunting for them elusive meteorites, and as usual Be Safe Out There.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Welcome Phillip:

Here's how I got started:

I live in Bakersfield.

I did a lot of research on the Web; specifically the CA dry lakes. I also bought some stony meteorites to get a good idea of their appearance (found some inexpensive ones at a local rock show). Then I looked at the Meteoritical Bulletin Database located at:

http://tin.er.usgs.gov/meteor/index.php

This is very helpful to see where meteorites have been found.

I would also get at least one book written by O. Richard Norton; I think these are the best.

• Field Guide to Meteors and Meteorites (Patrick Moore's Practical Astronomy Series) (Paperback)

• Rocks from Space: Meteorites and Meteorite Hunters (Astronomy) (Paperback)

• The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Meteorites (Hardcover)

They all are good, but if you choose to get only one, I would get the Field Guide as it is more for the hunter and hobbiest.

You can also join the Meteorite Hunters yahoo group site.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/meteorite_hunters/

Looks like you are on your way and best of luck out there.

:icon_mrgreen:

Greg Stanley

Welcome Phillip:

Here's how I got started:

I live in Bakersfield.

I did a lot of research on the Web; specifically the CA dry lakes. I also bought some stony meteorites to get a good idea of their appearance (found some inexpensive ones at a local rock show). Then I looked at the Meteoritical Bulletin Database located at:

http://tin.er.usgs.gov/meteor/index.php

This is very helpful to see where meteorites have been found.

I would also get at least one book written by O. Richard Norton; I think these are the best.

• Field Guide to Meteors and Meteorites (Patrick Moore's Practical Astronomy Series) (Paperback)

• Rocks from Space: Meteorites and Meteorite Hunters (Astronomy) (Paperback)

• The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Meteorites (Hardcover)

They all are good, but if you choose to get only one, I would get the Field Guide as it is more for the hunter and hobbiest.

You can also join the Meteorite Hunters yahoo group site.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/meteorite_hunters/

Looks like you are on your way and best of luck out there.

:icon_mrgreen:

Greg Stanley

Hi

Thanks for the info and links

I already ordered a copy of the Field Guide to Meteors and Meteorites still waiting for my copy :(

I will also check out the yahoo group link too.

phillip