My First Metal Detector???

Which would you buy as a first?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which detector is the best for the price- Detectors Under $800-900

• Fisher Goldbug II
    • Minelab's Xterra-70
    • Tessoro Lobo SuperTrac
    • White's GMT?? don't know which of that series

I am very interested in buying a first time detector and have been searching the net. I am looking for good place, and a price I can afford. I am down to 3-4 that I am considering, I would really like some help from you folks. I really don't want to go much over the $700 mark but if I have to go to $800 so I don't get upset with a less expensive one then that is doable. I know everyone has to start somewhere, so this is my starting point. I want to use it specifically for gold but would also like one that could do Meteorite as well. I am not that concerned with relics or coins, maybe later. I hope this is not an overburdened topic. My apologies in advance, if so. I would really appreciate the advice.

Thanks again

Troypounder

Troy, there is no BEST detector at any price...any of the units you list are very good machines. The

X-70 and Lobo St are more multi-use detectors; the whites and gb2 are specialized for nugget hunting and work well for meteorites...you may find any of these used for a lot less money...which I recommend if you aren't certain this gig is for you...

Bill, the owner of this site, sells the Xterra-70 at a good price...if you buy the x-70 for nugget hunting you need the dd-e coil....

Fred

The LST is a great unit and hard to beat there are a lot of complementary coils for the detector also, the other choices have merit also really Idon't think you are going to go wrong whichever you chose........Regards Geo

Aloha troypounder,

Started out with an LST, went with the fisher GB and finally ended up with the GMT using a goldmax sierra coil. Cant say anything bad about any of those machines because they all worked pretty good for me. I may be a little prejudiced at this point but I really love my GMT. I use it primarily to hunt for: meteorites, gold and then I will go out on occasion to hunt for coins and relics in that order.

Good luck with whatever unit you decide on and rest assured that all the members here on this forum are more than willing to help a newbie with tips.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Lobo Supertrac hands down found my first serveral oz's with the one I had. Best bang for the buck, will pick up rice grain sized nuggets at depth in mineralized ground. Grubstake

I am very interested in buying a first time detector and have been searching the net. I am looking for good place, and a price I can afford. I am down to 3-4 that I am considering, I would really like some help from you folks. I really don't want to go much over the $700 mark but if I have to go to $800 so I don't get upset with a less expensive one then that is doable. I know everyone has to start somewhere, so this is my starting point. I want to use it specifically for gold but would also like one that could do Meteorite as well. I am not that concerned with relics or coins, maybe later. I hope this is not an overburdened topic. My apologies in advance, if so. I would really appreciate the advice.

Thanks again

Troypounder

Troy I can,t speak for others, but my GMT gets the small gold . It has automatic ground balance and discremination and I really like that. If I had it to do over I would buy it again. Doug

I thank you for responding and giving me your feedback. I think I am going to go with either the GB II or the GMT. I like the feature of auto ground balancing. Will see what I can do about getting either of those detectors. By the way this W/E is the GPAA prospecting show at the Phoenix Fairgrounds. Me and the Mrs. went yesterday, lots of interesting items for sale. Loads of detectors for sale.

Thanks again folks

Michael

Michael, this question comes up on the forums at least once a month and the answer is always the same...While the four machines you listed are all excellent, (Ive owned all but the exterra). However, finding a used SD2100, at about the same price, will find you far more gold than those you've listed... :twocents: ...Cheers, Unc

• 2 weeks later...
OK folks I have decided to get a White's GMT. Also got headphones bag and pinpointer. The few extras. It is on its way to me from Kellyco detectors. Got a great deal on it too. Can't wait to get my hands on it :icon_mrgreen: :headphones: . I wanted to thank you all who helped me out with my decision. I should have it by next week the latest. I would love to make my first time out with it, a good one, or at least learn something, if not find some gold as well. So if some you experienced detectorists would like to show me a few things on how to get the yellow stuff, I am up for a week-end.

Michael ... aka TroyPounder

.... Just my :twocents: worth and nothing against Kellyco ... but it's too bad you didn't buy from a local dealer who would have been more than happy to have spent time in the shop and/or out in the field to show you the ways of the detector you purchased. The small amount of money saved if any would be more than made up by supporting the local shop.

Again just my :twocents: worth of thought. I always support the local guys because they are local and know what it takes to find the gold ... or the coins ... or the relics!

Michael ... aka TroyPounder

.... Just my :twocents: worth and nothing against Kellyco ... but it's too bad you didn't buy from a local dealer who would have been more than happy to have spent time in the shop and/or out in the field to show you the ways of the detector you purchased. The small amount of money saved if any would be more than made up by supporting the local shop.

Again just my :twocents: worth of thought. I always support the local guys because they are local and know what it takes to find the gold ... or the coins ... or the relics!

Mike thanks for the input and I didn't think of that in the long run, which I should have. I do like supporting our locals, so i am sure I will be purchasing much more for my detector and other mining supplies. In fact I am looking for an Eastwing pick hammer, today I bought a small pickhoe kinda tool. and a garden trawl. But I want to definitely get other stuff from our locals. I think I want to make it out to Bill's Store in Wickenberg.

I have to agree with Mike, a local dealer is the only way to go, There are some in Apache Junction, Prescott, Wickenburg and Peoria , Travis Browns Pro-Gold, Bill Southern in Morristown the host of this forum and many more that would have been glad to help you , I know Bill takes his customers out on training trips and I beleive the others do too. Miners Creek in Wickenburg lets customers use every type and brand of machine before they choose one and I beleive they take buyers out on training too, they have their own claims and prospecting club.

I am sorry none of us mentioned this to you before you commited, it kind of hard to ask for help from kellyco and the local people will not feel obligated to help you, maybe some of the NE valley prospectors will chime in and give you some tips and help.

I also agree with Unc Ron , an SD2100 , failing that I would have to go with the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq simply because its AZ made in Prescott and they always take excellent care of any problems, mine have always been my fault not theirs and I have aways got my machine back like new with the latest stuff in it and I have found lots of gold with it. Even a Radio Shack will find gold if you get the loop over it and dig.

Michael ... Bill Southern, the owner of this forum, sold my son an eswing pick a couple years ago. He probably still carries the line. I would start with him first. His shop hours are generally 3-6 PM but phoning him would work better I think so as you don't miss him. I tried to stop by twice while in AZ in February during regular hours but he wasn't there. I know he manages 2 or 3 parks so I wasn't surprised. I was calling on a social basis so the closed shop was not a problem. Call him first if you need something. He will do right by you. Cell ...623-910-0345 ... leave a message if he doesn't pick up.

Everybody is right on about buying from a local deal....when I was a dealer anybody

that bought (or rented) a detector from me got training that next weekend...I've had

customers that bought from Kellyco...forget the training...you have a problem your on

your own...if it's broke they won't even answer your second call...and the list goes on...

Good luck TroyPounder.....

Michael ... Fortunately for you Whites is a super company, in my experience, when it comes to warranty repair ... your fault or theirs!

OK ... now ... you made a mistake ... you probably will think with a clearer head the next time! :whoopie:

As penance I would suggest you find someone who will train you properly on your detector and PAY them well! $250-$300 for a morning or afternoon of infield training will shorten your learning curve considerably ... just make sure your trainer has the experience and proven track record of finding gold with your model detector to train you! it will be money well spent!

Good luck with your new equipment.

You are right as usual Mike!

You are not supposed to slam then the the truck door or leave them on the tailgate of your PU and then back over them or drown them or the ultimate sin!! SPRAY THEM WITH WD-40 !! :laught16::laught16::laught16:

That Whites and Tesoro has fixed all these Boo-Boos more than once is remarkable!

Michael ... Fortunately for you Whites is a super company, in my experience, when it comes to warranty repair ... your fault or theirs!

Michael.

you will love your GMT! It is a great machine. I had my first coil go bad and White's replaced it free of charge. quickly I might add.

I use mine for meteorites, I have found over fifty meteorites with my GMT. I also purchased a 2200V2 Minelab, I have not found anything with it yet. Although I have only had it in the field a 1/2 dozen times.

Here is a pic of my latest find with my trusty GMT

Recent find

DSCF0021.jpg

A snowy hunt / GMT worked very well

DSCF0242.jpg

Dean

Hi Mike, I am also new to this game but with all the research I did prior to buying my first detector specificaly for gold I could not go past the older SD minelabs detectors. With out Mods you will be able to get a SD2000 for less than the top end of your budget and on GOLD it will out perform anything you have listed. With mods ($300US apx) it will out perform units that you will pay upwards of $3000us for. They are not the easiest of machines to learn but with practice you will know the Tones and settings..... A word of advice, wether private or commercial, buy local so that you get an introduction and a bit of training and also read , read , & study before getting out there, dig everything you hear, and have fun. Best of luck Cookie.... :icon_mrgreen: