Nugget Shooter Forums

It's all SGTFDA's fault

Being a retired telephone switching engineer, I get the shivers just thinking about steel wool around electronic equipment.

Well today I decided to try it so I double bagged some, cleaned everything up and put the bag in my 3000.

I went out after lunch just to swing and listen to see if it made it any worse or any better. I went to a place close to the road where I had been before a couple of times. I wasn’t really expecting to do any serious detecting, just see what it sounded like. Well I got out there and just automatically went into serious detecting mode, couldn’t help myself. I went to a place where someone raked a spot on a hillside that I had covered a couple of times before and not found anything. I was going around the edge of the raked spot, I have found nuggets out where they had quit raking, and got a very quiet signal, sounded like a hot rock, real faint. I thought “it’s just that rock there” so I dug it out and the signal was still there. Oh, it must be that other rock there a little deeper. Out came that rock and signal still there. Now I’m starting to get excited, this could be a nugget.

Well at 8 ¾” measured, out popped this little 1.4g “bunny rabbit”.

:woohoo:

So it’s all your fault Frank.

post-190-1234221164_thumb.jpg

Oregonneil ----Frank is really a nasty old man for making you dig such a nice nugget. Just send the rabbit to me and I will make sure you get some easter eggs the rabbit lays after a good meal. in:icon_mrgreen: Really cool nugget. Jerry

You see, there is a method to my madness! Ismael swears by it and that's good enough for me. Nice nuggie. Perhaps that tad little bit less noise did it.

You see, there is a method to my madness! Ismael swears by it and that's good enough for me. Nice nuggie. Perhaps that tad little bit less noise did it.

What exactly do you do with the steel wool? This is a new one on me.

Well I spent about 5 ½ hours out yesterday with the steel wool in and it seemed to run quieter. I just put one thin bag (3"X4") in to test the idea. I think if I get a little more creative with more bags it might help more. I don't want to move the wires around too much in there though. For now I'm going to leave well enough alone.

It wasn’t a big improvement but every little bit helps. It’s going to take a few more trips out to see how much improvement there is. At least I proved to myself that it didn’t make it any noisier.

This little one came out just as my battery was dying.

Thanks again Frank

post-190-1234395618_thumb.jpg

No thanks needed Neil. Over the years others have passed on tips that have helped me out. I can only try to do the same. That is the great thing about nuggetshooter.com

Hey guys one thing I wonder about this... if the idea behind this steel wool thing is to break up EMI signals then wouldn't using a wire copper mesh screen do the same thing? I mean all your doing is ceating a faraday cage and I've always seen wire copper mesh used for this. Not to mention, it would be a lot cleaner.

Just a thought :hmmmmmm:

Del

Hey guys one thing I wonder about this... if the idea behind this steel wool thing is to break up EMI signals then wouldn't using a wire copper mesh screen do the same thing? I mean all your doing is ceating a faraday cage and I've always seen wire copper mesh used for this. Not to mention, it would be a lot cleaner.

Just a thought :hmmmmmm:

Del

The steel wool idea is to absorb internally generated EMI. A true Faraday Cage has to be a totally enclosed around control box, be grounded and I believe a current applied as well to prevent external EMI not internal. The active approach I don't think is practical...now something passive like steel wool...that can work. I thought of buying a large anti-static bag as well for external noises, like some computer components come in taped to the inside cover of the AZO box cover itself, if the bag is not seal it's not going to make that much of a difference. With the shaft, cables, access to switch's that kind of ruins that too. You should not have any crease in the anti-static wrap as well because this can ruin it's effectiveness. These bag will have to be changed out periodically too...I don't know the time frame involved. I have too admit I am a little apprehensive to about putting bags of the wool inside but life is risk.

The following is an email from Ismael Jones within the last few day...Hello, it is simple really just get a small zip lock (around 90x90mm) type bag (money bag from bank) fill it with Steel wool (non soapy type) and then use masking tape to completely seal the bag without any of the steel wool protruding. Lay it onto the PCB and close them up and put back into the case. That simple just be careful of any steel wool floating around outside the bag otherwise you could blow the detector up!

I will give it a try this weekend and see how it works...Guido

Keep in mind Minelab is a Australian detector. Australian's are just like Canadian's but with a wild and crazy streak. This comes from hanging upside down on the earth. They place steel wool in strange places so why not the detector. This worked on the other places they placed the steel wool and discovered it works in the minelabs too. The gals in Australia walk funny and dislike steel wool. :innocent0002: This could be a plot to blow up our detectors so we buy more.

Shame Shame Frank,

But you do have a point there. It's a bit strange but it seems that all the Aussie gals that I know, do walk a bit bowlegged.

Haven't quite figgured that out yet but I'm going to start working on it. :innocent0009: :hmmmmmm: :grrr01:

Bob T.

Mornin Colo. Bob....been wondering about you....glad to see you alive and well....why don't we ask

the expert on Aussie gals...Johnno...could be his answer would be completely different than what

we're thinking....but on the other hand.... :innocent0009:

Being a retired telephone switching engineer, I get the shivers just thinking about steel wool around electronic equipment.

Well today I decided to try it so I double bagged some, cleaned everything up and put the bag in my 3000.

I went out after lunch just to swing and listen to see if it made it any worse or any better. I went to a place close to the road where I had been before a couple of times. I wasn’t really expecting to do any serious detecting, just see what it sounded like. Well I got out there and just automatically went into serious detecting mode, couldn’t help myself. I went to a place where someone raked a spot on a hillside that I had covered a couple of times before and not found anything. I was going around the edge of the raked spot, I have found nuggets out where they had quit raking, and got a very quiet signal, sounded like a hot rock, real faint. I thought “it’s just that rock there” so I dug it out and the signal was still there. Oh, it must be that other rock there a little deeper. Out came that rock and signal still there. Now I’m starting to get excited, this could be a nugget.

Well at 8 ¾” measured, out popped this little 1.4g “bunny rabbit”.

:woohoo:

So it’s all your fault Frank.

post-190-1234221164_thumb.jpg

Hey Oregonneil...Guido here...I went out to Gold Basin today and tried the Steel Wool technique. I operated the GP3500 for about two hours clean with no Steel Wool bag installed. I wanted to make sure the unit was hot. When I was using the detector the threshold was running very smoothly. I then installed the two bag steel wool inside the box and close the end cap. I turned on the detector and the threshold was going nuts...I could not get it to calm down. I decide to remove the bag of steel wool and I turned the unit back on and it was running very smoothly again. I found a very small hole in both bags cause by object unknown inside the unit. After I saw this I stopped the test and air duster the inside of the box. Needless to say I will not be doing the test again...I really don't know why the threshold was acting so erratic. Oh well noting ventured nothing gained.

Hey Oregonneil...Guido here...I went out to Gold Basin today and tried the Steel Wool technique. I operated the GP3500 for about two hours clean with no Steel Wool bag installed. I wanted to make sure the unit was hot. When I was using the detector the threshold was running very smoothly. I then installed the two bag steel wool inside the box and close the end cap. I turned on the detector and the threshold was going nuts...I could not get it to calm down. I decide to remove the bag of steel wool and I turned the unit back on and it was running very smoothly again. I found a very small hole in both bags cause by object unknown inside the unit. After I saw this I stopped the test and air duster the inside of the box. Needless to say I will not be doing the test again...I really don't know why the threshold was acting so erratic. Oh well noting ventured nothing gained.

Sorry to hear that Guido. I went out yesterday by Yuma for most of the day and my 3000 ran smoother than it has ever run. There weren’t many military planes flying so that might have helped it run quiet. I really like this mod so far but time will tell.

Neil

Sorry to hear that Guido. I went out yesterday by Yuma for most of the day and my 3000 ran smoother than it has ever run. There weren’t many military planes flying so that might have helped it run quiet. I really like this mod so far but time will tell.

Neil

Well; if it works for you great...I don't know if my detector being GP3500 may have something to do with it. Rather puzzling...Good Hunting...