Nugget Shooter Forums

Flandrau Planetarium and Science Center

John B.

Hi All

The University of Arizona Flandrau's Planetarium, Science Center and Mineral Museum is scheduled to be closed down because of budget cuts :angry-smiley-010: . 20 years ago or so the U of A had 3 vice presidents and associated staff. Today they have 43 vice presidents and all have an associated staff :Huh_anim]: . Terminate any one of them and there is a genorous funding for the Flandrau's annual budget :innocent0002: . I don't understand the politics or tenures of our goverment or state run universities :confused0013: . I guess the sports end of education is where the money is in today's college education :twocents: ?? As with most museums most of thier budgets are tiny to start with yet they cater to community functions like school tours and other money loosing or gratis functions :innocent0009: . Many of you know I have a very large collection of gold and space rocks on loan there and have supported them with lots of donated material over the years. I believe there is still the expansion plan with the Rio Nuervo project which the Flandrau plans on building a new building with assorted government funds and a large commited donation from a large mining company. With an off campus Building that's more visitor freindly in the near immediate future. Well my collection will probably undergo hopefully a tenative move :shrug: . Yet this may as well be the fate of many small government funded facilities in these hard times :PO2: . If they ever do open thier Rio Nuevo facility they will recieve all my gold for display and a return of the collection they now have. Any thoughts or ideas as to a museum that may enjoy or could facilitate some gold and or space rocks I'm open and looking :hmmmmmm: . Happy Huntin John B.

I wonder how hard it would be for all of us to get together and start our own museum. I have a business degree and have own 2 successful companies in the years gone by.

100 of us all pitching together with knowledge, location retail experience and a mandate to give free tours to schools....while it would not be a massive money making project, with so many involved, it would just have to be self sustaining.

We actually could set it so all profits go towards charities and the purchase of new claims.

Not only with displays of minerals such as gold, but also including the history of Arizona and Sou West mining from the big operations to the lone man in the field. I also think that including the history of metal detecting, would create a draw and perhaps could be used as a selling point for items that certain sponsors on this site would be happy about.

Sorry if I went obverboard here, its just what I do in the retail industry. Implementation and set up is what I do.

Just an idea?

Hello everyone.

This terrible news saddens me greatly. A similar fate happened to the McLaughlin Planetarium at the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I had the good fortune of going there several times as a child and later again as an adult. When the planetarium opened in 1968, it was one of the most advanced in the world. It was closed in 1995 due to budget cuts by the Ontario provincial government.

The planetarium was championed by the world renowned philanthropist, Colonel Robert Samuel McLaughlin. "Colonel Sam" as he was affectionately known started off his career working in his father's factory, which was located only a few miles from when I'm now sitting, making horse drawn wagons, buggies and sleighs. Colonel R. S. Mclaughlin then started using internal combustion engines in his buggies, founded the McLaughlin Motor Car Company and ultimately helped found the Buick division of General Motors. He shortly thereafter became the president of General Motors of Canada and served as chairman of the board right up untill his death.

What the nearsighted pencil-pushing bean-counters often fail to realise is that such facilities are not only places of learning but also of inspiration to our youth. Colonel R. S. McLaughlin realised that and I have no doubt that he would be very disappointed to know that his efforts and dreams were cut so short. My own teenage daughter has never been to a real planetarium and when I tried to describe what it had been like to recline back and look up at the "stars" and "planets" dancing across the "sky", she looked at me with a sad expression that broke my heart. At that moment, I knew that she knew that this was an experience that would be lost not only to her but to her children as well. I am man enough to admit that I literaly shed tears of anguish on my pillow that night. I find tears returning to my eyes even as I am typing this.

It seems to me that our governments, educational institutions and buisnesses should go to that extra effort of finding the monies to not only keep such institutions open but to build new ones as needed if they expect our children to be motivated to obtain educations that will allow our children and thus our countries to compete and succeed against the rest of the world. It is OUR money that we entrust them with and it should be for OUR benefits and OUR CHILDREN'S benefits that they spend it wisely. I sincerely hope that it isn't too late for the Flandau's planetarium.

Finding fewer and fewer reasons these days to be cheery, lvlagnum.

John B. I have not had the oppertunity to investagate the local Mohave Co. Museum in Kingman yet but I know they are right smack dab in the middle of numerous mining territories, Its also on World Famous RT. 66 and also in the middle of 2 Meteorite strewn fields. So anywho the location is right just don't know much about the actual Museum itself and those who are directly connected with it.

I would imagine Jim S. AKA Paleface is knowledgeable about the Museum and its connections. But its a ledgitimate suggestion anyway.

Hapy Huntn

Hi All

Chris I don't know there final open day :hmmmmmm: ?? Frank thanks I'll keep that in mind :idea: . I think my big gold would make you go crazy :nutty: ?? Nope little gold has already done that to you, maybe it'll make you go blind or limp or hard or :shrug: ?? Happy Huntin John B.

John B. I have not had the oppertunity to investagate the local Mohave Co. Museum in Kingman yet but I know they are right smack dab in the middle of numerous mining territories, Its also on World Famous RT. 66 and also in the middle of 2 Meteorite strewn fields. So anywho the location is right just don't know much about the actual Museum itself and those who are directly connected with it.

I would imagine Jim S. AKA Paleface is knowledgeable about the Museum and its connections. But its a ledgitimate suggestion anyway.

Hapy Huntn

Frank,

:scare: Museum...... That brings back memories from the 70's when I volunteered to polish the silver on Andy Devine's saddle, a job that took all day. That went on for awhile before I talked them into making a more air tight display case. Smoking anywhere was common back then and heating with natural gas, both contribute to laying down a dark tarnish on highly polished sterling silver. I am somewhat scared to go down and take a peek at the condition of that saddle, someone might recognize me....... :laught16:

Although we do have a fine museum here in Kingman, it would not be worthy of a large display such as the one that I understand John has had on loan to the Arizona Flandrau's Planetarium. This museum could not provide the security, space and exposure that is afforded in larger cities.

I have high hopes that John will find a suitable location to display his collection as I have not had the privilege of seeing it in person. Pictures just do not tell the whole story.

Jim

Jim-

Who can forget Andy Devine- one of my favorite charactor actors of that era. Anyone remember his role as "Frisby" in the Twilight Zone which was one of my favorite episodes. Had no idea he was born in Kingman. Thanks for that tidbit.

John B-

I don't know if your bank would be interested in displaying meteorites but they might be interested in the gold nuggets and specimens. If you can't find another museum for your collection- your bank might be interested in setting up a small display case in an unused area. You might not get the large number of people to view them like you would a museum but your gold will be safe. :twocents:

Someone I know did that up in Winnemucca,Nev and it worked out fine.

Steve

Hi Steve and All

Steve I bank at Wells Fargo for the most part and I have made them several offers :innocent0002: !! You know the company that was formed hauling gold in in stage coaches in the days of the 49ers :hmmmmmm: !! They have always shown an interest but never said yes ,no or maybe :confused0013: !! Besides I don't think the FDIC insures gold and at this time all of the banks are close to going tits up :Huh_anim]: !! I wouldn't be to fond of a weekend in Vegas for my branch manager spending my nuggets :angry-smiley-010: !! Happy Huntin John B.

• 4 months later...

The California Mineing and Mineral museum here in Mariposa is also going to close due to the state Budget, its considered a state Park. And so its going to close soon. I don't know what they will do with all the displays, the friecot nugget is here along with alot of other nice gold from around the state. Grubstake

Hi Grubstake

My safety deposit boxes are filled to capacity but If they were to donate those gorgeous nuggets to the John B. memorial fund I will always remember where I got em :innocent0002: !! Heck I"ll even have it tattooed on my winky :tisc-tisc: !! I'm currently working on Wells Fargo to place the items I had at the Flandrau :hmmmmmm: . Sooo far I've been like talking to a wall but I just keep on talkin :confused0013: !! I may end up adding to my collection at the Mine and Mineral Museum in Pheonix if it don't close :Huh_anim]: !! Happy Huntin John B.

Speaking of winkies, I had a crazy uncle, now dead, that was a 30 year Marine. We were walking through the Mall one day back in 73 and he kept yelling at the top of his lungs, I have YOUR NAME TATOOED ON MY D___K, after two or three times of him yelling that, I said ok, lets see it! We went in the bathroom, and he wipped it out! Sure enough, It didn't say Gary, but he di have YOUR NAME tatooed on it. Crazy sucker. Grubstake

That is indeed sad news JB and I just don't get it.... Why is it that education suffers before meaningless projects etc. in government offices? This is not the place for a political rant so I will not break my own rules, but where does all that lottery money go that was earmarked for education when they were pushing for it? :Huh_anim]:

Hi All

The University of Arizona Flandrau's Planetarium, Science Center and Mineral Museum is scheduled to be closed down because of budget cuts :angry-smiley-010: . 20 years ago or so the U of A had 3 vice presidents and associated staff. Today they have 43 vice presidents and all have an associated staff :Huh_anim]: . Terminate any one of them and there is a genorous funding for the Flandrau's annual budget :innocent0002: . I don't understand the politics or tenures of our goverment or state run universities :confused0013: . I guess the sports end of education is where the money is in today's college education :twocents: ?? As with most museums most of thier budgets are tiny to start with yet they cater to community functions like school tours and other money loosing or gratis functions :innocent0009: . Many of you know I have a very large collection of gold and space rocks on loan there and have supported them with lots of donated material over the years. I believe there is still the expansion plan with the Rio Nuervo project which the Flandrau plans on building a new building with assorted government funds and a large commited donation from a large mining company. With an off campus Building that's more visitor freindly in the near immediate future. Well my collection will probably undergo hopefully a tenative move :shrug: . Yet this may as well be the fate of many small government funded facilities in these hard times :PO2: . If they ever do open thier Rio Nuevo facility they will recieve all my gold for display and a return of the collection they now have. Any thoughts or ideas as to a museum that may enjoy or could facilitate some gold and or space rocks I'm open and looking :hmmmmmm: . Happy Huntin John B.

JB I took my wife by there the end of June and was shocked to see a closed sign on the door only open a couple days a week and she's a UA Grad. We fed the meter well that day. I was excited to show her some of your finds.Kept telling her about Jb and Greaterville and space rocks. Tried getting a hold of you on one of the other forums but I guess you were banned or something. Hope your doing ok man.

Hi John -

Hey when I was down there last, the folks from the Phoenix museum told me that they'd be glad to take whatever you wanted to loan them. Of course I dont know what their status is with the budget shortfalls.

I'll be sending you a check request for WSPA here shortly.

Chris

• 1 month later...
Hi All-

Just saw some good news. Flandrau got a grant from a mining company so the museum can stay open. :whoopie: Hope to visit the museum myself one of these days as I've heard many good things about it..

Steve

Hi Guys-

Just saw where they still might close the museum even after getting a grant to keep it open. What's going on? :hmmmmmm:

Steve