Nugget Shooter Forums

Cailf. storms

grubstake

We got a big one going now, rain, snow, thunder, lighning, 7 storms lined up for the next week or more, all coming into Calif, were going to send them all to Rich Hill, so you guys get ready, bring lots of rain gear. Its on its way! :angry-smiley-010: :angry-smiley-010: :icon_mrgreen: Grubstake

Hey Grubstake,

I am south of you in Anaheim and it started to rain about 2230. I see all the storms coming at us. It looks like we might get a break on tuesday. Might get one day of hunting in Yucca Valley before the next storm. And you are right the guys at Rich hill are going to get hit hard with these storms. Keep dry up there Grubstake.

Just giving those guys a heads up, I lived in AZ. for a bit, those dry washes and gullies can become raging torrents, with the rain we just had, and are going to get, and its all headed that way. Never could figure why? The outings were held during rainy season, March would be much better, less rain. Stay safe guys, don't try to drive accross anything withwater running in it. Grubstake

Hello Grubstake and the rest of you in the southwest.

I know that wet weather cuts down on your nuggetshooting time but just the same it might be a good idea if you folks down there were to do a lot of raindancing and praying. From what I have read, parts of the southwest are already experiencing severe water shortages and unless Mother Nature helps out big time, it's only going to get much worse in the very near future. I have heard that Lake Mead is half empty and that places like Las Vegas and most of California's big cities and farmland will be ghost towns and dustbowls all too soon if something isn't done. A combination of the Colorado River's watershed not replentishing itself and also over use by the large cities has put all the southwest in a perilous situation and most people down there don't even realise it yet.

I think large scale desalination plants is one way to go but aparently the Greenies don't agree. I guess they figure the frogs, fish and trees are more important. But if the large cities become inhabitable and the farmland turns into a wasteland, there will be fewer people left to appreciate what little natural beauty that would remain. Water, as much as if not more so than oil, will soon become the World's and the United States' "Achilles Heel". Wars have been, are being and will be fought over the availability of and access to water. In the comming years, we can and will learn to live with much less and perhaps even no oil at all but without water, we cannot survive. I would urge all Americans on both the east and west coasts to push their municipal, state and federal governments towards the widespread and rapid building of desalination plants as a major part of the economic stimulus programme. Other than shortage of money, I can't understand why Governor Swartzenegger and his predecesors haven't long ago declared a statewide state of emergency and done so themselves.

I live in Ontario, Canada which is a land of countless lakes and rivers and has a seemingly endless supply of fresh water. Believe me when I say that we greatly notice the difference between a good and a bad year when there is insufficient snow melt and or rainfall to replentish the water table. In a good year, the level of the lakes is normal and very few people even think of water scarcity. In a bad year, The Great Lakes can be a few feet lower than normal and the smaller lakes and rivers can be in even worse condition. In this land of plenty, we have had seasonal water shortages, controls on recreational and non essential use of water and even failed crops in some areas that depend on irrigation.

My sincere apologies to you, Grubstake for highjacking your thread but even knowing you as little as I do, I'm sure you agree with me on the importance of this issue. It may be a nuisance when there isn't enough water to wash your car or run the kiddie's wading pool in the park but it is a disaster when there isn't enough water to survive and the big cities all across North America wither and die. This above all other things is NOT what the United States or any other country needs in these increasingly darkening and difficult times. Grubstake, I think you, I and most of the rest of the members of this forum can remember a time when the words water and shortage were never used in the same sentence. Just a few short years ago, who would ever have thought that whole industries would thrive and millionaires would be made by a few oportunists bottling mere tap water and selling back to us what God intened us all to have for free.

Cheers, lvlagnum.

PS: I think this is such an important matter that I will transplant this post to a new thread in the "Politics and Other Off Topic Stuff" area of this forum. I hope you will all join in that thread with your experiences, views and opinions.

Your right on with that, Owens lake is now just a dry lake bed, because of Los Angeles, Our water managagement has a lot to be worked on, People here in Mariposa, have had to drill there water wells deeper in the past couple of years, because of the drought cycle we are in, even though we are getting lots of rain now! We are still way behind and still in an official drought year. Grubstake

Calif. is stupid, we have the ocean here, unlimited water, with de-salinaization plants, we could have all the water we need, with hydrogen as a bi-product, to run new hydrogen powered cars. Sure the cost is high to start with, but the pay out is in the longrun.

We kind of got left dry up here North of I-80 of Sacramento, CA. Hope it starts raining this week, makes it real hard to float a 5" dredge when the creek is so low during the Summer. With this drought or creeks may turn to Dry Washes this Summer, if so I know a few spots to keep me busy!

LuckyLundy

srferjo714 and everyone else.

You see? Some clouds really do have gold.....errr, silver linings after all.

Cheers, lvlagnum.

PS: You notice how I didn't even mention "THE GOVERNATOR"?

PPS: As Britney would say, OOOPS!!! I did it again!

PPPS: Hmmm. Was I not supposed to mention Britney either? But but but she's ssssssssso mentionable.

PPPPS: Fugedaboudit!

Storms? cloudy skies? got that here! Septic Tank plugged up last Friday, dug it up (w/ friend), and not even one nail or bullet :angry-smiley-010: . Had pumped out and cleared, refilled hole by hand (darn, tractor's battery dead!). After last nights storm, spent morning, knocking snow off trees leaning on house and hosed what I could off. Branches off roof, I'm clear!

Truck and TH loaded and headed down driveway. Tired of digging schit! I want some good ol nails and bullets! I'm :outtahere:

Shep