Nugget Shooter Forums

Hi All

My friend Mike R and a few of his pals were hunting Franconia the weekend before last and here's a nice one Mike found. I guess it was only a few feet from were they parked ?? What the heck do I have to come over and train Jason, Kiami and the rest of you guys ?? He found the small piece on the end and glued it on with super glue I think ?? It's at around 2 pounds just shy of 1 kilo . Nice find Mike !! Here's the pix. I think someone asked if a GMT would find meteorites well here's your answer !! Happy Huntin John B.

post-1056-1234130599_thumb.jpg

post-1056-1234130634_thumb.jpg

John B,

How do you determine the value of meteorites? Are they actually worth more than gold? I dont know nuthin about them. Figured you would be the guy to ask!!

Happy hunting, SteveT :coffeetime:

Aloha J.B. and congratulations Mike on that honker. And they say that Franconia is hunted out! :laught16:

Guess I am going to have to start checking my parking area a little better in the future too. A friend of mine from Hawaii found a 137 gram piece a couple of feet from the rear of my jeep while I was unloading my gear a couple of weeks ago. At first he didnt think it was anything but when it wouldnt drop of my rare earth magnet on the end of my pick he came up to me and asked if it was one. I was soooooo tempted to tell him no at the time but it was his first time out with me for about 6 years and I just couldnt bring myself to jerk him around like that. He is planning to move to Vegas this summer after his retirement goes through and he is hooked on hunting for meteorites now.

BTW, did you guys park on the north or south sides as that specimen doesnt look like anything I have seen on the north side. No, you dont have to provide gps coords! :laught16: But it would help!! :innocent0009:

Hi Steve

Some meteorites can be worth way more than gold by gram weight !! There are several rarer types that command very high values many times the price of gold by gram weight. My Friend Mike that found this Franconia has hunted gold for quite a few years and found quite a few nuggets but nothing close in size to a one ounce nugget. But the Franconia meteorite has a value retail of about 2 bucks a gram. Making this find worth close to $2000.00 or equal to about a 2 ounce gold nugget. In General nuggets are very small and in comparable meteorites in general much larger. An average nugget in a nugget patch maybe a gram or 2 at best with a current value of about $30.00 per gram, yet our average sized meteorites in gold basin was around 60+ grams with a current value of around $2.00 a gram and were far more plentiful than nuggets. Also nugget patches are fairly small in size compared to strewnfields which cover many many square miles generally bigger than most goldfields. Both Gold Basin and Franconia meteorites are common ordinary L and H chondrites and are of the most abundantly available type of material. I hope this gives you some perspective on this !! Happy Huntin John B.

John B, if I found one like that, it would only ruin my reputation as a nice guy... Jason :;):

Congrats!!! Very large indeed, and yes it does look like the ones on the North side, but I've been wrong before.

Hi All

Jason your probably right ,You are a nice guy :innocent0002: !! Probably too nice for your own good :hmmmmmm: !! This piece was found on the north side of the tracks :woohoo: !! As well as a 2 pounder found a few months back by Dick Beatty :whoopie: !! I never found anything over about 400 grams on the north side when I was hunting there but then the finds were very plentiful and I didn't give a squat :icon_mrgreen: !! Happy Huntin John B.

I also found a 2 pounder (998 grams) on the north side last year. There is nothing better than digging up something you think is only a couple hundred grams and it turns out to be something really nice. good thing no one was around because I jumped around a screamed like a little kid.

Congrats on a great find!!!!!!!

Paul