Nugget Shooter Forums

Video - DIY Hand Dredge

fissureman

Fissureman: You have put together a very nicely paced video. Thanks for sharing some very good ideas. Comment: There are two common ways to minimize losses with a sucker tube. 1. Position your catch container (gold pan, bucket, small tub, etc) under water next to where you are sniping and just load that dude up until sufficiently full. 2. Develop a rhythmic sucking style where you begin tilting the nozzle end upwards while dipping the handle end downwards at mid-stroke (thus utilizing gravity to prevent material from dribbling out the nozzle). Your idea of installing a flapper valve to prevent losses would be a third way, and probably a very good way as long as volume and reliability don't suffer. Thanks again and welcome to a very good forum.

Fissureman: You have put together a very nicely paced video. Thanks for sharing some very good ideas. Comment: There are two common ways to minimize losses with a sucker tube. 1. Position your catch container (gold pan, bucket, small tub, etc) under water next to where you are sniping and just load that dude up until sufficiently full. 2. Develop a rhythmic sucking style where you begin tilting the nozzle end upwards while dipping the handle end downwards at mid-stroke (thus utilizing gravity to prevent material from dribbling out the nozzle). Your idea of installing a flapper valve to prevent losses would be a third way, and probably a very good way as long as volume and reliability don't suffer. Thanks again and welcome to a very good forum.

Hi Micro Nugget!

Thank you for your welcome and vote of approval on my DIY video! It is my humble way of introduction to forums such as this. I hope everyone can use the simple design to their advantage. I am aware of the methods you described for material retention - your comments are very appreciated! I am sure others who decide to make this device will find your identified techniques more than useful during use of the DIY device! Another technique that can be used is to continue to draw back on the piston while transferring the material to keep it in the body and not let it drop out during transfer to the pan. This would employ the rhythm you mention as well.

Just as an explanation, I incorporate check valves (or other retention methods depending on HD type) within the various hand dredges that I manufacture for sale. I believe these mechanisms are the best ways to retain material with the least amount of loss - while not having to perform extra gyrations (such as developing a special sequence of movement) when collecting. Check valves that are constructed properly will provide the reliability that you rightly mention as well as ease of use for the operator and save a bit of time while collecting. Additionally, hand dredges that retain material within the body or in a closed collection space will not lose the material to moving water when being dropped into a pan submerged in the water next to the operator.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone bought this type of sling shot before that holds the amo in the handle? http://www.liangdianup.com/sporting_1.htm

this company has free shipping to anywhere in the world and they guarantee delivery to Australia. I heard that sling shots

are ok to sell in Australia as long as you say they are being used to toss bait in the water when you go fishing, any truth

to thatone?