Nugget Shooter Forums

Tuesday Nuggets

Uncle Ron

Yo All...Got out to the desert in today's awesome 80 degree weather to try still another new gully...It had all the indicators and 10 feet in I got a screamer...It was the little 2.5 DWT beauty...No more signals so I moved over to another small gully about 50 feet away....Again 10 feet up the gully another signal and it was the kinda ugly little one DWT guy....Hey, all gold's good in the outcome...Two gullies, two targets, two nuggets...My kinda beepster....Here's pix...Cheers, Unc

post-9-1233713276_thumb.jpg

post-9-1233713308_thumb.jpg

post-9-1233713329_thumb.jpg

post-9-1233713341_thumb.jpg

Yo All...Got out to the desert in today's awesome 80 degree weather to try still another new gully...It had all the indicators and 10 feet in I got a screamer...It was the little 2.5 DWT beauty...No more signals so I moved over to another small gully about 50 feet away....Again 10 feet up the gully another signal and it was the kinda ugly little one DWT guy....Hey, all gold's good in the outcome...Two gullies, two targets, two nuggets...My kinda beepster....Here's pix...Cheers, Unc

Might I ask you what Indicators you are refering to?

I am doing my best to learn What I need to research...

Thanks in advance.

Nathan.

Aloha Ron,

Hot dang Ron, you are on a roll for sure. Bet you cant wait for the weather to get even warmer so you can really pound them areas.

Keep up the good work.

Aloha and be safe out there.

Stan aka Kaimi

Might I ask you what Indicators you are refering to?

I am doing my best to learn What I need to research...

Thanks in advance.

Nathan.

Nathan...In this particular area the idicators are generally high evidence of mineraliaztion (red dirt patches) quartz that's reddish/purplish/blackisht, arsenopyrite and or other pyrites, and ironstone....Indicators are different in different areas so it just takes some study in differentl localities....In dredging, indicators may just be square nails and bullets... :laught16: ...But the indicators above have been finding me gold on a regular basis in the gulches and washes of the big AZ...One thing I learned from Montana Bob, if you don't have the ironstone, or a reasonabley hot mineralized rock, your chances become marginal even with the other indicators...Hope this helps you find gold...cheers, Unc

Nathan...In this particular area the idicators are generally high evidence of mineraliaztion (red dirt patches) quartz that's reddish/purplish/blackisht, arsenopyrite and or other pyrites, and ironstone....Indicators are different in different areas so it just takes some study in differentl localities....In dredging, indicators may just be square nails and bullets... :laught16: ...But the indicators above have been finding me gold on a regular basis in the gulches and washes of the big AZ...One thing I learned from Montana Bob, if you don't have the ironstone, or a reasonabley hot mineralized rock, your chances become marginal even with the other indicators...Hope this helps you find gold...cheers, Unc

I am also in AZ, I live in the foothills of the Northern end of the Bradshaws. Thanks for the info, I will grab my geology book in the morning and learn more about Pyrites so I can identify them by sight. BTW, in your opinion, would a basic level college geology course be beneficial to a young buck prospector like myself? I happen to know of a few creeks and tributaries (on claims I have legal access to) with a LOT of dirty quartz with the reddish/purplish/blackish Dirtyness to them.

Could you elaborate a bit on the Red Dirt patches? is it red due to iron oxide's in the soil?

Thank you very much :)

Nathan.

Nice gold Ron, It makes my .7 Gramer that I found at Greaterville on Monday a throw back. Doug

Uncle Ron, you are just the guru and the man! How much gold do you find on average each week and how much time do you spend each week hunting?

Thanks, Salty...Gold finds vary because I spend a lot of time prospecting, then when I hit an especially big area like I'm working now it's usually only a couple of nuggets per day...That's partially because as soon as I get my nugget bone rubbed for the day, I lose interest in looking further and get back into exploring...I get out four or five days each week for about four or five hours each day...I moved to Wickenburg because it is smack in the middle of AZ gold country and gold prospecting and mining has been my passion since the late 1970's....I also love the desert and am very at home there even in the worst heat...I grew up on the edge of Death Valley in Cali where 120 degree temps were common during summer and we didn't have AC...Guess it's just what you get used to...Thanks again for the comments...Cheers, Unc

Ron: Way to go! We have similar indicators in the Southern California deserts. Black (ironstone), white (quartz) and green (olivine) commonly are associated with gold patches in the Dale District and around Barstow. But in other areas, like the El Pasos, that doesn't necessarily hold true.

Hey Cuz,

It's great to see your success, and with this you have created quite

a stir, and resurgence in the interest and use of the older SD type detector.

I recently bought another sd, mostly because of your success, and needed

a backup machine.

Thanks for sharing your great finds, and I do like your personally

autographed Nuggetfinder coil!

Keep up the great work!

Only 6 more weeks until spring around here... :grrr01:

Cuz Gary

Hey Ron, I have to ask is that just tape wrapped around your coil connection in the autographed coil picture or is that a type of shielding? Does it need shielding?

Sonny, that yellow tape actually covers a piece of plastic pipe filled with shoogoo...I was having falsing problems so I made a pretty crude, but effective fix...That yellow tape is the stuff that industrial plants use to put down on the floors to create safety lanes...Tough...I know it's ugly, but it gets the job done...

Johnno, if I retired that coil, my gold finds would be cut by 80%....It's the real deal....Cheers, Unc

Sonny, that yellow tape actually covers a piece of plastic pipe filled with shoogoo...I was having falsing problems so I made a pretty crude, but effective fix...That yellow tape is the stuff that industrial plants use to put down on the floors to create safety lanes...Tough...I know it's ugly, but it gets the job done...

Johnno, if I retired that coil, my gold finds would be cut by 80%....It's the real deal....Cheers, Unc

Ron, you are right about that coil. I have went through 3 skid plates and have repaired lots of cracks on mine. It is still as good as new, but looks like hell, (Shoe Goo, crack repairs, etc..) It also makes a good snake shield for moving buzztails out of the way. The buzztails even know it is a "killer" coil and give it the respect it deserves. :laught16:

Thanks for the info Ron, I just wondered.

Hi Uncle Ron,

Im a fairly newbie to gold prospecting, and was wondering is Wickenburg that good an area. I have always wanted to come to wickenburg and try my luck. Plus the Desert is so beautiful around there. Good snag on the nuggies, Congrats. Plus there are so many washes and dryed up rivers isn't the detecting and dry washing good in these areas ?

Thanks Troypounder