Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Uncle Ron

Finally...ASU confirms my Wickenburg Meteorites

Any more thoughts on this? ... I did find a bunch more pieces of this meteorite after the above posts .... Any new ideas would sure be welcome .... Cheers, Unc

Congrats Unc! Nice finds. Happy for you.

Just a thought, but a clay(ish) soil will produce a more rusted metal than sandy soil. Provided there is drainage for that sandy ground. This might be the case with your finds. What was the ground like where you found these?

Just a thought.

Saginaw

Any more thoughts on this? ... I did find a bunch more pieces of this meteorite after the above posts .... Any new ideas would sure be welcome .... Cheers, Unc

Ron,

Are the pieces you are finding in a small concentrated area. like a small one fragmented? Are you finding more spread out? Take pictures, bag and mark all you have found, with gps Coords. You can send them in for classification. I know Jim Woodell does classifications for people. His screen name on here is desertsunburn, contact him if you like.

P.S. Were you the original finder of the new Vulture Stone?

Dave.

There were two so called Wickenburg Meteorites, one found about 1910 by Mr. Kellis of Wickenburg who then gave it to Ninninger in 1940 ... It weight 19 Kg. .... I don't know about the second one which was called the "Vulture Stone" but is said to be identical to the first one ... I have found about 10 whole ones spread out over about 5 or 6 miles long and about a half mile wide ... I have made a map with the exact locations of each find ... One of the ten was shattered and spread out over a small area of a hillside ... All the others are single solid pieces, a couple of them oriented ... Some were buried as deep as 15 inches, but most were surface or down only a couple inches ... I'm not sure what to do next with them ... Here's a photo of the first five I found ...all the pieces on the left are actually one meteorite, with the two largest pieces held together with a rubber band .... There's another five or so whole meteorites I found after the above, but their pix are lost somewhere inside my computer and I can't find them ... Seems like my next step would be to contact Jim ... ???? ....Cheers, Unc

post-9-0-64997100-1385705380_thumb.jpg

Ron,

If you do not know what to do with them and would consider selling them, I'd entertain an offer.

What Laurence said is correct however, I do not believe a strewn field has been established and there are more reasons to classify than just what one person thinks. If the funding was given to the scientists for classifying, they would be begging to classify everything. However, most are not funded to do this and those that do classify do so to help fund and support the operation of their probe...which is a chunk of change to manage. So I say classify everything and fund it.

It harms no one and increases the overall knowledge for everyone.

If you decide to classify I can help with that!

Jim