Nugget Shooter Forums

Old SD2100 Setup

Uncle Ron

Yo All...For some reason there's been quite an interest lately in the old SD2100 and folks have been emailing me about how my Ol' Baboo is set up...Here's what I've found works for me and makes Ol' Baboo so sensitive that she bursts into tears if I curse a hot rock... :laught16: ...My detector is the old green box original sd2100...I run the pocket rocket 7.2 battery system with a very short, 8", cable between the battery and the signal enhancer...That makes a huge difference in sensitivity and stability...I also use a signal enhancer from Doc...Finally, I use Black Widow headphones...I also use pliers to secure the connections between coil cable and detector, battery & enhancer and enhancer & detector...Finger tight only will produce noise...I also use the following coils, in order of preference: original fiberglass Nuggetfinder 14 E Mono; Nuggetfinder 5x9 E mono; Coiltek 17" e mono Wallaby; Nuggetfinder round 14" DD; Coiltek 18" DD Pro; Coiltek 6" Sniper Mono; ML 8" mono; ML 11" DD; Coiltek 14" mono; Coiltek 12" Platypus DD...The number of nuggets I have found with the coils listed above is in the order listed...For a year or two in the past, I ran an 8.2 volt battery system which increased the volume of the signal and also increased the noiseyness of the detector...I find that the Pocket Rocket at 7.2 volts is the perfect set up ... I have found that with the 17" CT mono, for example, the above setup allows me to hear a 1/2 gram solid slug nugget at 15" in moderately mineralized ground...Hope this helps...Cheers, Ron

post-9-1233159463_thumb.jpg

Ron on a different vein.....I have the original GoldBug.....Are there other brands of coils that are compatable with it, or am I stuck using the stock fishers?

Far as I know, Sonny, you have to use the dedicated three GB1 coils...10", 14" and 6"...But they are good coils, although I always found the 14" way too noisey....Cheers, Unc

Yes I agree, it is much noisier than the other 2. But the smallest one would take me about 3 years to cover a 10 foot area.

I thank you for the info though.

Ron,

Thanks for posting your setup. I just bought a SD2100V2 and one of Doc's Goldscreemer Amps. I was going to PM you for the details, but you beat me to it. I have been trying to figure out the best voltage to set my battery at. I guess I can just experiment with the voltage range between 7.2 and 8.2. I have used the blackwidow headphones for the last four years and I won't ever use anything else. They come with a lifetime warranty if I am correct. I had the crossover cable go bad and had to go back to using the stock headphones. Then Rob told me about the warranty and I sent them to the manufacturer and they were back to me repaired for free in less than 2 weeks. Thanks again for the tips. I hope the V2 performs as well as the old green box. Take care.

Cheers,

matt

sonny you still having an avatar identity crisis....?

You won't leave many bits behind with that small e-coil...but is best used when raking tailings or testing mine dumps or working bedrock...the standard coil is the best compromise by far.

Fred

Fred...Now I am trying to be nice and get along with EVERYONE on this site. While I disagree that ANY of my avatars were offensive, the agents of morality, deemed them so. I have been using Al Bundy, because he is the epitome of.......well I almost went there didnt I? :innocent0009:

I do have one very special avatar that I reeeeeally weant to use, but even I am afraid to use it.

Thanks for the info on the coils, yes I read that about the little 4 inch. When you say the standard coil, are you talking the 14" or the mid size?

Guest bedrock bob

Thanks for the post Ron!

After nearly a quarter century of VLFing my way through the placer I have purchased (but have not yet recieved) a brand new SD2100v2. Just cant beat the new prices. Folks that use them swear by them. A whole lot of research and a whole lot of opinions under my belt and I have heard NO BAD REVIEWS on this machine!

So for me your post is timely and informative. I should have a buttload of questions for you very soon. Either that or a buttload of nuggets.

Bedrock Bob

Sonny

I for one miss your old avatar!

Ron

You and I are stuck in the past. The best detector I have is the SD2000GPM 6 frequency unit I bought from Ismael. It's one of the first 200 Minelab made and is one hot unit. Some day lets load them up on the donkey and head for the hills for a shoot out :icon_mrgreen:

I know Sonny, and you are a fine person to try so hard...

the stock e-coil is about 9 or 10 inches long...I just realized that you have the original GB with the little round coil...I didn't like that coil much; if you can get the 6 inch e-coil you will like that better, I think...

Fred

Thanks Ron. Any information from you is greatly appreciated. This is one greenhorn that is grateful to have people like you take the time to help. If I ever figure this beeping out it will be because of those like you. Thanks again. AL

I must say that Uncle Ron is great with that old detector he's got and I had the pleasure to hunt :icon_mrgreen: next to him one time at Rich Hill.I looked over and he's finding gold but he forgot to turn his detector on. :laught16:

Some people is just good at what they do but Uncle Ron is better than most.

Chuck Anders