Nugget Shooter Forums

True Stories about the California Gold Rush - fun reading

Reno Chris

This time of year I spend a lot of time reading, as bad weather prevents me from prospecting and camping. I have put together a set of true stories about the California gold rush. I collected these from various sources and they range from tales of big gold strikes or gigantic nuggets to tales of life in the camps, to diaries about what it was really like to be a 49er. There are even suggestions and hints about prospecting and how those old timers got their gold.

In my opinion, its a lot of great reading for many a snowy winters evening – great stimulation for the imagination if you ever wanted to think about what it was really like back then.

Stories and true tales of the California Gold Rush

Take a look. There are 68 short stories here - enough reading for a long time!

Chris

Thanks Chris, as with Fred I added it to my favorites.

Hi Chris,

You seem to provide many interesting and useful articles

that we all can put to use in the pursuit of our search for GOLD

Thanks very much!

Hope to see you out in the goldfields!

~LARGO~

Thanks Chris

I like reading the diares. I know the weather in the Sierras can be unpredictable but I didnt realize they only averaged about 17 weeks actual prospecting a year!

SteveT

Looking forward to the next ICMJ! :coffeetime:

Thanks for the stries I'll read them all.

Chris did you ever read Bacon & Beans from a Gold Pan by George Hoeper. Its a true storie about a young couple who camped in the mountains of Calif. in the 1930's to make a living panning for gold. It is a very interesting storie.

Hi Guys -

Glad you enjoyed these stories - I am working on a set of similar stories for other famous gold rush situations.

Tom - yes I have read Bacon & Beans from a Gold Pan - the story of Jesse Coffee and his wife, its a favorite of mine - I first read it more than 30 years ago, and now have my own copy.

Chris