Nugget Shooter Forums

Something unusual

John B.

Hi All

I recently took some people out beepin and was playing with a goldmaster 4 with a dd coil. I was hearing targets sounding like tiny nuggets or wire filaments that were nothing more than damp green grass and even thier roots. I've never thought much of the Whites dd coils but am wondering is that typical for them ?? I was operating with a gain of between 2 to 4 ? Besides that the coil worked perfectly !! Happy Huntin John B.

John B. I've had this happen many times with My GB-2. When I'd pull the little sprigs of wet grass ,roots and all the tiny signal would be gone. I still don't know exactally what causes this to happen.

Harry :twocents: :twocents:

Years ago I was working with Whites on some new coils and talked occasionally with the company that makes some coils for Whites...We discussed the effect you're talking about...They call it "the Wet Grass Effect" and apparently don't have any answer for it.... :confused0013: ...Cheers, Unc

:headphones:

Hi All

I recently took some people out beepin and was playing with a goldmaster 4 with a dd coil. I was hearing targets sounding like tiny nuggets or wire filaments that were nothing more than damp green grass and even thier roots. I've never thought much of the Whites dd coils but am wondering is that typical for them ?? I was operating with a gain of between 2 to 4 ? Besides that the coil worked perfectly !! Happy Huntin John B.

John, My GMT does the same . I try to keep my gain high for depth, it is noisey, and when the ground is wet it drives me to (drink). Maybe that is why I leave the gain Highl. :headphones: :headphones: Doug

Hi Guys

You too Harry :laught16: !! Geeze that's the shitz :angry-smiley-010: !! I never thought much of the DD configuration on a vlf coils but I never ran my gain up very high :innocent0009: . The grass and roots were sounding like targets :headphones: !! I thought maybe there was a short in the coil or something :hmmmmmm: ?? Ron that piece of crap hot shot coil I bought from you was flat out poor design :grrr01: . The coil was flexing and hearing it's own coil wire from the flexing when bumped or jarred :twocents: . A great coil for sweeping parking lots where the just might be nuggets :confused0013: !! Happy Huntin John B.

Roots suck up minerals from the soil along with water. The ground gets wet and the plant sucks up the extra water and that will magnify the halo effect of the mineral build up in the plant roots. Some plants will concentrate more minerals than others and can be mixed in with the grass. Same as a rusty item in the ground. When the ground gets wet you get a strong halo effect. With large old trees you can get a super strong signal from the mineral build up in a root usually within 3 foot of the tree base. Won't be all the roots but one with clogged arteries. A good example of this is a carrot with it's high iron content. Ever hear one poping in a microwave oven from the metal content? The more sensitive the detector settings the more you will pick up this mineral effect. This is not a bad thing. It shows your detector will pick up items others will miss in dry conditions. I've done better with detectors that pick up the plant effect than with detectors that would not when the ground did dry out. Just my opinion.

I have the same problem with my Wife. Except instead of sucking up water it's money. Wives are like vacuum cleaners but when you look up in there the money's gone. Except in this case the detector gets zero signals. Even in all that dampness. Zero halo effect :innocent0002:

I've noticed this effect with my GB2 as well. I have even spent a little time trying to pinpoint a saguaro cactus... took a few minutes to realise I didn't have a target next to the cactus it was actually the cactus giving me a signal.

Frank your right on with that answer....the area that I've been hunting in lately is several thousand

acres of Eucalyptus trees....about 50% of the tree roots will give a good signal on my GP3000 with

a mono coil....when I switch to a DD coil most of the problem goes away....I believe it was Garrett

detectors many years ago that gave the same answer as you about this problem....

Guest bedrock bob

Wet grass, fine roots, and burned out stumps from a forest fire...Something about heat changing the iron content to maghemite?

Anyhoo, detecting an area that has any of the above is an excercise in false signals. Really nice sounding signals at first...

An old curandera once told me that if you sleep with a chicken foot under your pillow and say a hundred hail mary's each morning for a week this problem will go away.

But dude, Jonno says you have to throw salt on your window seals too....