Nugget Shooter Forums

18 inch Goldstalker and GP 3500

I went out to Franconia and tried out my new 18" Goldstalker coil on my GP3500...WOW...AWESOME...the threshold is sooo stable its not funny! This was my first time out in this area and I tired to go to the north side of the railroad tracks next to interstate 40, man that's some hard driving on the hills over there. Some desert pin stripping. The new coil can cover a lot of ground FAST! Found about six .50 ca and five .30 cal bullets and a .50 cal. brass...that's it. ...Maybe I should stay on the south side of the strewn field.

This was my first time out in this area and I tired to go to the north side of the railroad tracks next to interstate 40, man that's some hard driving on the hills over there. Some desert pin stripping.

Hi Ironbug, I really hope your not saying you drove on the north side of the tracks because that's a wilderness area and it's illegal for ANY motorized vehicles to be driven in there. All it takes is just one person to screw it up for the rest of us. SO PLEASE DO NOT DRIVE UP THERE! If you hunt the north side it's all hiking... GOT IT?!

Del

Hi Ironbug, I really hope your not saying you drove on the north side of the tracks because that's a wilderness area and it's illegal for ANY motorized vehicles to be driven in there. All it takes is just one person to screw it up for the rest of us. SO PLEASE DO NOT DRIVE UP THERE! If you hunt the north side it's all hiking... GOT IT?!

Del

Wow..Sorry..I did not know that...I did not see any signs coming from the east. I never been there before...Wont do that again...

Del

Wow..Sorry..I did not know that...I did not see any signs coming from the east. I never been there before...I went solo and didn't see anyone there. Wont do that again...

Hey that's alright Ironbug you just didn't know about it. There are signs posted around there in some places but not all. Here's a link that has a downloadable map-

Warms Springs Wilderness

Del

I do thank you for the info...I just want to do some swing time...Don't want to cause or be in trouble...

I went out to Franconia and tried out my new 18" Goldstalker coil on my GP3500...WOW...AWESOME...the threshold is sooo stable its not funny! This was my first time out in this area and I tired to go to the north side of the railroad tracks next to interstate 40, man that's some hard driving on the hills over there. Some desert pin stripping. The new coil can cover a lot of ground FAST! Found about six .50 ca and five .30 cal bullets and a .50 cal. brass...that's it. ...Maybe I should stay on the south side of the strewn field.

I am trying to figure out what possible road or roads you may have been traveling on to have gotten pin striping on your vehicle. Hard driving on the hills in a wilderness area would indicate that you were going cross country where there are no roads. There are no roads that can be navigated on the north side of the field that are grown over to the extent that pin striping would occur. That is not allowed even on open BLM land.

Care must also be taken when it comes to the RR, they frown on anyone being on their right of way, especially parking on it. Our right to access and hunt the north side of the field is constantly being tested as more and more people are drawn in to this great hobby of collecting meteorites.

Leaving the roadways and driving cross country on the south side of the field is also prohibited and also policed by several individuals that live in the area.

It is good that you found this out before getting nabbed, as ignorance of the law is no excuse. Meteorite hunting is the same as prospecting, it is wise to know where you are going and where you are, at all times.

I have confronted sand rail drivers on the north side that said the same thing (I did not know it was a wilderness area) after driving right over the top of the many signs that BLM has posted where people may leave the roadways.

Good luck with any future hunts down there.

Jim

Aloha ironbug,

Although there is a jeep trail on the north side, it is very limited and access is hard. But doable! As far as desert pin striping, the only place i got some was in the drywash leading up the the blm signs stuck in the ground.

Most of the time I just park in one of the dry washes just north of the tracks and NOT alongside the fence as that is considered railroad property right of way. Glad you mentioned it before you really went nuts and decided to go where no one should go.

Aloha and be safe out there.

Stan aka Kaimi

BTW: If you are in the area and see a blue jeep wrangler with a black hard top sporting nevada plates-park nearby and look around for me. I will show you were you can and cant go in the future.

Hi Ironbug,

After you get a good look at the wilderness area map, you'll know where you can and can't drive. Don't feel bad, lots of folks have made the same mistake and now hike into that area. There are also people who know it's a wilderness area, and intentionally drive their quads up the washes on a regular basis. Those individuals will learn the hard way just how easy it is to drop a dime on them. Be responsible and enjoy your hunting.

Good Luck, Ben

More about the coil...The Goldstaker coil I bought is the 18 x 12 elliptical...I used a GP3500 with a 14"coiltek mono...man that was a noisy combo. I was getting sooo tired of the wobbling threshold it wasn't funny. I have used that setup for around 3 months. It never calmed down at all...you just learned to live with it. As soon as I went to the 18' Goldstalker the threshold really calmed down to an AMAZING LEVEL!...very tamed and quite! It's not perfect, but close to it!...

I am trying to figure out what possible road or roads you may have been traveling on to have gotten pin striping on your vehicle. Hard driving on the hills in a wilderness area would indicate that you were going cross country where there are no roads. There are no roads that can be navigated on the north side of the field that are grown over to the extent that pin striping would occur. That is not allowed even on open BLM land.

Care must also be taken when it comes to the RR, they frown on anyone being on their right of way, especially parking on it. Our right to access and hunt the north side of the field is constantly being tested as more and more people are drawn in to this great hobby of collecting meteorites.

Leaving the roadways and driving cross country on the south side of the field is also prohibited and also policed by several individuals that live in the area.

It is good that you found this out before getting nabbed, as ignorance of the law is no excuse. Meteorite hunting is the same as prospecting, it is wise to know where you are going and where you are, at all times.

I have confronted sand rail drivers on the north side that said the same thing (I did not know it was a wilderness area) after driving right over the top of the many signs that BLM has posted where people may leave the roadways.

Good luck with any future hunts down there.

Jim

Hello Jim...The roads I am referring to is the under developed gridded roads on the hillside. Those roads have many washouts and bushes growing in the middle of the road and close on both sides in some areas. I do not do make my own roads in the desert. I always stay on the roads despite the shape they are in. Again that was my first time there from Nevada and I do want to say I have no reason to lie about not seeing any signs. If I did I would not post that here. I do enjoy your Forum here and learn many things that would take years to compile on my own...especially thing you need to know to continue and stay out of trouble in this amazing hobby..

Aloha ironbug,

Although there is a jeep trail on the north side, it is very limited and access is hard. But doable! As far as desert pin striping, the only place i got some was in the drywash leading up the the blm signs stuck in the ground.

Most of the time I just park in one of the dry washes just north of the tracks and NOT alongside the fence as that is considered railroad property right of way. Glad you mentioned it before you really went nuts and decided to go where no one should go.

Aloha and be safe out there.

Stan aka Kaimi

BTW: If you are in the area and see a blue jeep wrangler with a black hard top sporting nevada plates-park nearby and look around for me. I will show you were you can and cant go in the future.

Thanks for the offer Kaimi...I appreciate it! I don't think I can make it this coming weekend...but I will try...if I cannot maybe next weekend! Ironbug...

Hello Jim...The roads I am referring to is the under developed gridded roads on the hillside. Those roads have many washouts and bushes growing in the middle of the road and close on both sides in some areas. I do not do make my own roads in the desert. I always stay on the roads despite the shape they are in. Again that was my first time there from Nevada and I do want to say I have no reason to lie about not seeing any signs. If I did I would not post that here. I do enjoy your Forum here and learn many things that would take years to compile on my own...especially thing you need to know to continue and stay out of trouble in this amazing hobby..

Ironbug

No one inferred that you were lying about seeing signs. I made a statement about many sand rail weekend cowboys that frequent that area. Many of them camp in the Sacramento Wash area and spend the weekend tearing up the country side. Quite a few of the forum members here can show you where they have run back and forth over the BLM Wilderness area signs.

As to the road-ed area that you now refer to, that is a private property section that is not within the Wilderness area. Yes, most of the roads are to no-where, as they are washed out. Many a quad, jeep, truck, etc has had to be rescued from where they became stuck in that area.

We are glad to have you on the forum and as you stated, this forum is a wealth of knowledge, especially about Franconia and Gold Basin.

I hope that your first Franconia space rock is a dandy. Good luck..............

Jim