Nugget Shooter Forums

I filmed this while dredging yesterday

lotsa luck

APS is doing some "improvement" work to their power lines and were coming through while we were dredging so we had to get out of the way. I understand doing this to large trees that may short the lines but at this place its just sad and un needed. They are leaving nothing taller than a foot or so and that includes anything protected or threatened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOwigQXpB68

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crap that makes no sense at all. The cactus wouldnt even get high enough to come into play with the wires.

Did you ask them why? :confused0013:

Crap that makes no sense at all. The cactus wouldnt even get high enough to come into play with the wires.

Did you ask them why? :confused0013:

We tried but they didn't "habla" and just went on about their jobs. This is going out to the media in the morning, maybe someone will listen and stop it. Most of these plants were there when the lines where first put in so theres no reason for it I can figure. Pine trees I at least can understand but not down here in the desert. yet we have to fill all our little holes and not hurt any trees etc... BS

We tried but they didn't "habla" and just went on about their jobs. This is going out to the media in the morning, maybe someone will listen and stop it. Most of these plants were there when the lines where first put in so theres no reason for it I can figure. Pine trees I at least can understand but not down here in the desert. yet we have to fill all our little holes and not hurt any trees etc... BS

Good move, hopefully someone will pick up the story and run with it. Good luck in getting this stopped.

We need to figure out a coordinated effort to get this to the media, fast! There's enough of us to do it....Ideas???...There's a CNN address for this type of UTube thing...Let's roll.......Ron

Fellows

They are making firebreaks. If one of those lines breaks

and falls into dense brush and grass,all the plants for miles

may be gone. Also a good hot brush fire can cause one of

those towers to collapse. There is enough fuel under and

around some of them to heat the metal red hot.

lotsa luck.

I would like to say that I have something clever or witty to say right now but I don't. I think that is an outstanding piece of video journalism and I hope that you distrubute it to as many places as you can. I think it should be sent all the way from the federal and state conservation authorities down to the local newspapers. I had to view that video several times to take in all the details of what was happening and each time it left me speechless. Would a Saguaro that is full of moisture burn? I'm no expert but I would think that the dry grasses and scrub shown around the Saguaros would be much more of a fire hazard. And isn't there an Arizona state law that prevents anyone from harming or interfering with a Saguaro without a special permit? If it had been you or I who had done or authorised such a thing, I suspect that we would be doing some jail time for it. I wish you much luck in your campaign to have needless destruction like this stopped.

Cheers, lvlagnum.

PS: If what I have read recently is true, mature Saguaro specimens like that would be worth thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars each to collectors and such. If Arizona really wanted to get rid of a few of them, wouldn't that be a good way of raising funds for conservation and other worthy causes? If politicians wont stop the destroying of Saguaros for conservation, would they do it for money?

Fellows

They are making firebreaks. If one of those lines breaks

and falls into dense brush and grass,all the plants for miles

may be gone. Also a good hot brush fire can cause one of

those towers to collapse. There is enough fuel under and

around some of them to heat the metal red hot.

Ok lets go on the idea they are making a fire break... I have never seen a Saguaro burn, NEVER. Many of fires have gone through this desert and yet they live through them. Sometimes they die after the fire has went through from erosion toppling them but they just dont burn. The grass under the lines are left to grow and thats most of the fire consumables around here.

:angry-smiley-010: Now that $&^T is sick !!! :confused0013: Yes we must all be afraid of the deadly(protected???) cactus?? I think not-hope you get this out-I'm gonna forward to local kalif paper-see what they do about a thing as rotten as this in AZ-thanks for the sick footage!!Tons a au 2 u 2-John

This is a crock of $hit. Even if this was done as a fire break or for maintenance access then why should APS be held to a different set of rules then any other developer? All developments have to survey and salvage native plans based on state law. This is a very involved and costly process for developers. Apparently APS has found a loop hole or they feel they are above the law. I hope they get this comes out for the public to see and they have to answer for their actions.

Added

It appears that this is "Legal" see http://www.azda.gov/ESD/DepartmentStatutes.htm Exemptions 3-915. It sure is not good PR for APS to destroy a symbol of Arizona.

If you added up all the environmental disturbances from the beginning of time that were caused by metal detectorists, it wouldn't be a hiccup compared to what that video shows happening in a day! We have a comparable double standard here in California where F&G permits Indian tribes to trap and kill salmon on a large scale, but the Indians want dredge permits curtailed even though there is no tangible evidence of a single fish or frog ever being harmed.

Truth be know and observed ... I would bet the fish are actually helped by the dredge activity. I have noted on more than one occurance that while fly fishing and wadding in the stream that the fish are attracted to the stuff I stir up off the bottom while walking the gravels. Free food I would guess. Maybe the only time dredging would be bad would be during a spawn when the eggs are laid into the gravels but that short time period could be regulated as a closed dredging season. Here in the east that would be during fast water times anyway ... spring snow melt/runoff ... I would have to assume the same for CA or anywhere else. Fish don't tend to spawn in warm waters of the heat of the summer months when most guys/gal;s would be dredging!

Just my :twocents: worth of observation.

Mike F

Everyone.

Don't get me wrong. I'm certainly not any flavour of militant ecologist. However, I am someone who can appreciate natural beauty. Just because the law might technicaly say that the grinding down of those Saguaros was or is legal, doesn't mean that it was ethicaly or moraly the right thing to do. Especialy when it concerns a company that claims to be as "green" as APS does. The Saguaros in the video were not only serving the purpose of helping stabilise the soil around those electrical transmission towers but they were doing a great job of beautifying an ugly right-of-way. I'm sure it might have been necessary to remove a few of them that were actualy encroaching on the bases of the towers but none that I saw in the video were even close to doing that. I'm sure if this were handled the right way, it could be a media and public relations nightmare for APS.

Cheers, lvlagnum.

I sent the link to a couple of Landscape Architects that I work with. They deal with native plant salvage and are sure to spread the link around. I hope to see it on the news. I am not a environmentalist tree hugger but senseless destruction of saguaros is wrong even if legal.

Lotsa Luck,

If it gets aired down there where your at, It might even make it up here in washington. I hope it does because anybody with half a brain knows that what they are doing is beyond stupid!!! :Huh_anim]:

GO GET UM!!-SteveT

Now that is awesome! I hope they take this kind of thing seriously

APS is doing some "improvement" work to their power lines and were coming through while we were dredging so we had to get out of the way. I understand doing this to large trees that may short the lines but at this place its just sad and un needed. They are leaving nothing taller than a foot or so and that includes anything protected or threatened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOwigQXpB68

Make sure they know you are a prospector. They all think were the ones destroying the environment.