Nugget Shooter Forums

New Guy Intro/Call to Meteorite Hunters!

Hello Everyone,

Years after having been made aware of this group, I'm glad to say that I'm finally joining.

I've met a few of you, hunted with some and heard of many of you, but certainly don't know all of you. So here's a small intro about me.

I'm from Michigan and have been hunting meteorites for about 10 years. I've found most of my meteorites in Arizona while on vacation, all the usual suspects like G.B., three different kinds of Franconia, Red Dry Lake, and a fairly good Holbrook a couple years ago. I did ok in Park Forest too, and even wrote an article for Meteorite magazine once. Despite many hours of hunting, to my disappointment I've never found one here in Mi. I guess that's why I go west!

I'll be coming to Arizona for my annual Tucson/meteorite hunting trip on Feb 5 and am heading to the desert on Monday morning the 9th and will hunt through Friday. I will be accompanied by my long time friend and meteorite hunting partner, Maria Haas. Also in tow will be a friend of mine named Darryl Landry, he has recently gained an interest in meteorites and the stories that surround them. Darryl and an associate of his both work in the TV and radio industry, and the three of us are putting together a 1/2 hour, once a week TV program about meteorites and all things related, to be broadcast locally on cable tv. Small stuff for now but who knows?

I would like to round up as many people as I can to get together for a giant meteorite hunt. I know this has been done quite a few times at Franconia and Gold Basin, I've seen the pictures of you guys and your finds, having a blast! I'd like to do it again and actually take part : ) and have Darryl document the thrill and excitement of finding new meteorites, to be used in our first tv run and future ones as well.

If you are interested in joining this hunt email me off list or on. We'll see what day is best for everyone and where we should hunt. I'm open for suggestions but am thinking Franconia. Unfortunately I don't have a weekend day to do this, Monday the 9th through Friday the 13th is when we will be there.

I'm really pumped up about the tv show and I'm hoping for a good response from you guys! I'd like to see some great meteorites found and share some stories too. Old timers, newbies, everyone help me do my part in educating the public about our fascinating hobby and pass on the wonder that is meteorites.

Sincerely,

Larry Atkins

thetoprok@aol.com

Aloha from Vegas,

Hmmm a trip to Franconia for the day eh! I have tuesday and wednesdays off now so I might be interested since my native american rockart project is complete.Check your PM's for further info.

Aloha and get back to me.

Stan aka Kaimi

Hi Larry, welcome to the forum :whoopie:

Maria sent me a note about your hunt in early Feb. Bummer.... I'll be at the Tucson Gem Show, I hope you'll be there as well. :coffeetime:

I wish you all the best out there hunting :icon_mrgreen:

I also hope that Stan aka "Kaimi" makes it down, He's a great man to chat with and get to know (also a great cook) did I say that, oops :tisc-tisc:

best wishes and welcome again to the forum, jim "bones" (IMCA 6204) :outtahere:

Hi Larry,

Welcome to the Forum. My son Erik and I Scored big at Holbrook the weekend after your huge find there. We know the field. We'll be down at the Tucson show on the weekend of the 7th and 8th as that's when the most hunters, dealers, and "meteorite people" will be there. Having hunted Franconia for a while, I wish wish we could get out there during the week but, I have to work. Maybe we'll bump into you down in Tucson. Good luck with your project.

Best Regards, Ben

Hello Larry

Welcome to the forum. I will be hunting in other areas during your time frame and unable to join you . I wish you, Maria and Darryl many find specimens. Maybe you can post some of your footage to YouTube for a look-see. Wishing you much success on your Cable Adventure.

Regards

Wayne

Hello Larry

Welcome to the forum. I will be hunting in other areas during your time frame and unable to join you . I wish you, Maria and Darryl many find specimens. Maybe you can post some of your footage to YouTube for a look-see. Wishing you much success on your Cable Adventure.

Regards

Wayne

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words!

I wish more of you could make it out, so far Stan is the only one! I know the timing isn't very good, but we will make the best of the situation though.

Are you going to be hunting somewhere worth documenting Wayne? Let me know if you want some help digging up those pesky meteorites! The more footage we get the better.

Thanks guys,

Larry

Larry,

Welcome to the forum. Good luck on your hunt, hope you and your friends make some nice finds! Let us know how your hunt turned out.

Dean

Hi Larry,

Your TV show sounds like a great idea! Wish I could see it when it airs. Good luck on getting some good footage in Arizona and if you ever want to hunt Park Forest again, look me up.

Jim

Hi Larry,

I've had a lifelong interest in space exploration including meteorites and only a couple of years ago decided to actively pursue collecting and searching. I joined the forum last week and just picked up a GB3 and am anxious to use it in AZ as I will be in Tucson Fri-Sun. I had then planned to head for the 4 usual suspects you mentioned as I'm taking the next week off work. Not being familiar with the area and with discriminating between hot rocks and meteorites and also not knowning where searching is not allowed in the strewn fields I've been wanting to tag along with a group hunting the week you mentioned to get some experience before heading back to Missouri. I've got some information on hunting the 4 strewn fields, but would like to hang out with others with more experience. Feel free to email. Karl

Hello Everyone,

Years after having been made aware of this group, I'm glad to say that I'm finally joining.

I've met a few of you, hunted with some and heard of many of you, but certainly don't know all of you. So here's a small intro about me.

I'm from Michigan and have been hunting meteorites for about 10 years. I've found most of my meteorites in Arizona while on vacation, all the usual suspects like G.B., three different kinds of Franconia, Red Dry Lake, and a fairly good Holbrook a couple years ago. I did ok in Park Forest too, and even wrote an article for Meteorite magazine once. Despite many hours of hunting, to my disappointment I've never found one here in Mi. I guess that's why I go west!

I'll be coming to Arizona for my annual Tucson/meteorite hunting trip on Feb 5 and am heading to the desert on Monday morning the 9th and will hunt through Friday. I will be accompanied by my long time friend and meteorite hunting partner, Maria Haas. Also in tow will be a friend of mine named Darryl Landry, he has recently gained an interest in meteorites and the stories that surround them. Darryl and an associate of his both work in the TV and radio industry, and the three of us are putting together a 1/2 hour, once a week TV program about meteorites and all things related, to be broadcast locally on cable tv. Small stuff for now but who knows?

I would like to round up as many people as I can to get together for a giant meteorite hunt. I know this has been done quite a few times at Franconia and Gold Basin, I've seen the pictures of you guys and your finds, having a blast! I'd like to do it again and actually take part : ) and have Darryl document the thrill and excitement of finding new meteorites, to be used in our first tv run and future ones as well.

If you are interested in joining this hunt email me off list or on. We'll see what day is best for everyone and where we should hunt. I'm open for suggestions but am thinking Franconia. Unfortunately I don't have a weekend day to do this, Monday the 9th through Friday the 13th is when we will be there.

I'm really pumped up about the tv show and I'm hoping for a good response from you guys! I'd like to see some great meteorites found and share some stories too. Old timers, newbies, everyone help me do my part in educating the public about our fascinating hobby and pass on the wonder that is meteorites.

Sincerely,

Larry Atkins

thetoprok@aol.com

HELLO EVERYONE,

Hello Larry Atkins. I really am the new kid on the block. What your planning for the feb. meet the week of the 5th could be a possibility.

Thanks to Mr. Ruben Garcia for telling me about the Nugget Shooter Forums.

For the past 2 years I've been remodeling my house. I'm done and ready to dust off my detectors and join the meteorite hunting experience. I will be ready to Go in abot 4 days, somewhere. I live in Prescott, Az. where I have found gold with detectors and had a small placer operation with backhoe and dredge on the Hassyampa. I've gotten smoky quartz crystals at Devils Head Co. bigger than the Denver Museum has. A 13 day dig at Stoneham Co. netted me haul of the worlds finest Blue Barite crystals with the rare calcite coating. But nothing has intrigued me more than to want to hunt Meteorites.

Anyone in the Prescott area or any where that would like to go hunt together or just talk would be great.

I have so many questions. One for instsance, where exactly at Franconia wouldeneryone meet? Which side of the interstate? etc., etc., etc.

Any info for the new curious soul would be very much appreciated.

thank you,

Jim Smerglia

aldebaranetb@gmail.com

Where are ya gonna camp.....Sounds like it could be fun.

az digger, Everyone,

Last year I camped on the north side and will probably do the same this year. Exactly where is hard to say... It's a big place.. I'd have to give GPS coord's! Instead, I'll give you my cell #, everyone that's coming can call me, preferably on Monday evening or Tuesday morning, and we'll go from there.

Thanks,

Larry

248-842-8095

Karl,

We'd love to have you out there! There's going to be a whole lotta talented people out there that can help you get the hang of meteorite hunting. New guys are especially welcome, I remember my first meteorite like it was yesterday, what a feeling!!

Please do yourself and me a favor and come out on Tuesday, Feb 10 and Weds, the 11th. It should be a great time!

-Larry

Will you be gracing us with your presence, Ruben? Maybe I'll tell you where I really found that Red Dry Lake.. :innocent0009:

Hey,

Wasn't it I that gave you the coordinates for Red Lake? I think so.... I forgot how big that one was, maybe you should post pics for all to see.

I may try to make it to hunt with you two. Once or twice me and Maria almost hunted together but something always went wrong and we never did.

We'll see if it's in the Cards!! Speaking of Cards, GO CARDS!!!!!!!!

Hey,

Wasn't it I that gave you the coordinates for Red Lake? I think so.... I forgot how big that one was, maybe you should post pics for all to see.

I may try to make it to hunt with you two. Once or twice me and Maria almost hunted together but something always went wrong and we never did.

We'll see if it's in the Cards!! Speaking of Cards, GO CARDS!!!!!!!!

Ruben,

Yes, you told me where to go, I owe you one! Ididn't find it quite in that spot, however..hmmm.. close, though.

It's only 26.2 grams. But I'll take it!!

I thought the Lions would go to the Super Bowl ...Yeah Right!!!!!! :laught16::laught16::laught16:

post-21855-1233200825_thumb.jpg

Aloha everyone,

Well, less than a week to go and I am sooooo ready for next weeks hunt. I should be their "early" tuesday (just in time to watch a Franconia sunrise) and will be there till wednesday nite. Got to work on thursday or I would stay for the rest of the week.

Hope to see you all at our usual camp spot. Just keep an eye out for a bolue jeep wrangler.

Aloha till then,

Stan aka Kaimi