Nugget Shooter Forums

Rattler Just Killed Our Cat

Uncle Ron

Apparently the rattlers moved in permanent to the tunnels our dog dug in her old kennel...And came out to enjoy the sunshine with the upper 70 degree weather...Just bit our long time cat buddy, Jose, and killed him...He died very fast....Didn't make it over 3 feet from the tunnel....We had him over 10 years and he was a good cat...

I'm gonna saturate those tunnels with gasoline and set'em off...For those who say rattlers don't come out in January, you're wrong...Not so much cheers around here today...Unc

Uncle Ron.

My sincere condoleces on the loss of your cat. I know all too well how attached we can get to our pets and how they quickly become a cherrished part of our families. With such a small snake population, our cooler climate and shorter summers, we don't think of it much up here in Canada but I can imagine that venomous snakes are some of the worst nightmares of every parent and pet owner down there. I have heard that some folks in the southwest and other places are building snake proof fences and gates around their houses, playgrounds and animal compounds. I have no idea what these snake proof fences and gates would look like but if you were planning to live in the same place for a while, the expense might be worth it.

Again my sincere condolences, lvlagnum.

Lighting the gas may not kill them. this is how we used to get them out of holes REAL fast.

Take some hose and a small amount of gasoline. Push the hose as deep into the hole as you can and pour a small amount of gas into the hose then simply blow on the end of the hose to fill the hole with fumes. The snakes will be coming out real fast so be ready to slice and dice them with a good shovel.

So sorry about the loss of a family member. Do you know all entrances/exits? If not ge something that will smolder real well and put it in one entrance and blow the smoke with a leaf blower compressor or something. smoke will show all holes leading to exits. Seal all but one before you do the gas thing, or just get some fence post concrete and seal them all off.

Then after all is safe, find your trashy neighbor and whip the crap out of him for causing you all this grief

Hi Ron sorry to hear about your cat :tisc-tisc: as far as your coment about snakes in january goes we normally don't have upper 70's this time of year either--just some food for thought :innocent0009: -Mike C... :ph34r2: GO CARDNALS :whoopie:

Geez Grubstake ... isn't that the combination the took the front of a building off a dozen years or so? We don't want to blow Uncle Ron and his yard up just get rid of his rattle snakes! However ... Maybe that combination should be used on the neighbors junk yard!! :ph34r2: :hmmmmmm:

Mike F.

Yeh, Mike that it, I was just watching a program about silver mines in NV. and that what the were useing to blow the rock in a big open pit mine, I think they called it amfro. Man that stuff makes little rocks out of big ones fast! Really I thought maybe one of those propane weed burners would put out enough heat to fry there ass. Bad news when they move into your yard. Grubstake Speaking of the Oklahoma thing, my wife and I were still on the longhaul truck during that, and we passed through Okl. City just one day after it happened, what a mess and a how mad I was too. Because I am an Okie. My Cousin was just in that Marrow Building the day before all that took place, to pick up her passport. Grubstake

Ron,

If you can reach the hole with your garden hose, stick the end of the hose in the hole and turn the water on. The snake or rodent and water will come out of an exit hole somewhere close by. This is a good and easy way to clear a hole in your yard.%3b%29.gif

darn, Ron, that sucks. Sorry to hear the bad news about your buddy. I think its time to kill these devils. Good luck and be careful. AL

Hey ron, do you have maps of the GPAA claims at Morristown and do they show the roads? Need a map.

Uncle Ron,

Sorry to here about your cat...........

But please don't mix fertilizer & diesel together...we used it underground to load drilled paterns & pastes up in the stopes..

Unc we like you just as you are, in one piece........

Whatever you do, do it safely..............wonderer

Sorry to hear about your cat. They do become family members. I would not take a chance on blowing them up, but the water hose is always what we used.

Ron ,

Sorry about your cat. Sounds like your snake problem is not going away. I`ve never been a fan of killing snakes, but dude I hope you extinguish them by whatever means necessary...Good luck man,and if its explosive take some pics of the action :woohoo:

Hi Ron and All

Before my prospecting days I was an amatuer herpetologist. Maintaining a large collection of mostly snakes so I'm somewhat knowledable on this subject. While maintaining and proagating a large collection or snakes it requires a large somewhat difficult to get food supply. Meaning rodents primarilly rats and mice. To maintain healthy animals I used to feed the rodents purina lab block when available. But the rodents actually preffered cheap dog food which was a fraction of the cost. If both were available for them to eat the dog food was consumed first before they would touch the lab block. Having said all of that . If one plants a garden as a food source and ends up with a bunny or deer problem !! That's kind of the end result. To eleviate your snake problem the safe and natural way is to eleviate a rodent problem. By that maintaining control of dog and cat food availability to rodents by only feeding what they can eat or only feeding them indoors where you can control food wastes and spillage. If you make an environment condusive to rodents you will never solve the problem of snakes. Rodents are very ingenious critters and a bowl of pet food is a windfall. It a tuff project when living in urban areas to not offset the local eco system. Sorry about your Kitties passing !! Happy Huntin John B.

You're sure right about not feeding the pets outdoors...We always fed Jose in the house and our dog inhales anything you stick in front of her...We not only have a snake population, but we have a 14 member family of javalinas that really like our patio on a daily basis and a couple of coyotes that pass through the yard at exactly sundown everyday, 7 days a week...And a bobcat that comes in to the back yard fairly regular too....Jose had gotten the rodent problem under control in the last year...I don't know what we're going to do now, but we just don't want to get another cat...RIP Jose...Ron

post-9-1232417121_thumb.jpg

Whoa!