Nugget Shooter Forums

147.5 Grams

Hello all,

Thought you all might like to take a look at this rusted meteorite. I found this awhile back and just this last Sunday was looking it over with a loop in the sun. I discovered an olivine crystal that I had missed when I first looked at it. It is highly rusted but It is still a find from up above!

I would like to cut and etch this piece just to see what the pattern is like. just might be a few more crystals are hiding inside. Hope the pics do it justice.

DSCF0069.jpg

DSCF0073-1.jpg

DSCF0067.jpg

DSCF0068.jpg

Dean

Hi Dean,

That's a beautiful piece! I can clearly see the olivene in the photo, it's really cool. It's always fun to get "extras" from prievious hunts. When in doubt, I always take it home for a closer look later on. Thanks for posting the photos. Say hi to "The Z-Man" for me.

Ben

Welcome to the 100 club Dean! I still have yet to make it out there and I hope when I do I score something like that. That certainly makes me want to go through my meteorwrong pile. Gorgeous find, congrats!

Del

Dean,

You should be very proud of that one! You are one of very few...

Even some of the best meteorite hunters have never found a pallasite. I'd take it!

P.S. I'm staring to think I'll be in Tucson.... Call me if you wanna hang with us (Mike, Paul, Del, Nate and I will be hanging out filming , buying and drooling over cool specimens.)

Ruben Garcia

Ben,

thanks, I can not believe I missed the olivine the first time around. You are right to take a second and third look. It lead to this siderite now being a pallasite!

Del,

Gracias! I have been spending a lot of time lately looking through my vast meteorwrong pile. It paid off ehh!

Freelancer, yeah I sure wish I knew earlier. Funny thing is I have held and looked at this piece dozens of times. I showed a friend today and he saw it right away with out being told about it. I guess my eyes are getting old.

Ruben,

what can I say, I have the best mentor in this hobby as a friend. I am enjoying this piece again as if I just found it!

Thanks! I will see you in Tucson for sure, oh and by the way, you can by us breakfast! Glad your going, see ya there.

Eric,

Thanks buddy for the kind words. I am stoked for hunting this year! It will be a great one for all of us.

Bones, thanks! I am looking forward to finding a few stoneys this year. I am confident it will happen.

Dean

Congrats Dean. Very nice. Hope you find more crystals if/when you cut it.

Is that a Glorietta or a cold find or ?

Phil

Phil,

Thanks for the nice comments .It is a G M. When I do get around to having someone cut and etch it, I will post some pics.

Dean