Nugget Shooter Forums

How do you not end up claim jumping

I have been very careful to make sure that I am always on the claim that I am allowed to be on but it is not always easy. I have a GPS unit but I have yet to find one that I can import claim boundaries. Even with a lot of research it can be very easy to be on the wrong side of the boundary line. So other then hunting in the middle of the claim what do you guys do to make sure you are always where you are suppose to be?

Casey,

Go to jdmcox.com and download the short file called USAPHOTO Maps. It has a good help file and an easy learning curve. Put in claim corners, waypoints, tracks or anything you want and then down load it to your Garmin. Works easy and great.

Good Luck

Max

Thanks Max

I will check it out. I knew there had to be an easy way to make sure I don’t accidently venture off the claim I am supposed to be on. Getting on someone else’s claim scares the crap out of me. In the past I have been high banking and dredging so it was easy to know where you are at and stay where you are allowed. With nugget shooting you can walk for miles and one step over the boundary could be very costly.

There is a huge difference between wandering off a certain claim on to another verses going out at night (or daytime) and purposely going on anothers claim to steal minerals. If you own the calim, you should know the boundaries within reason. If it is a friend's claim that person should show you the ropes. A bit here and a bit there should be no big deal unless the adjacent claim owner is a real 'A'hole...............

There is a huge difference between wandering off a certain claim on to another verses going out at night (or daytime) and purposely going on anothers claim to steal minerals. If you own the calim, you should know the boundaries within reason. If it is a friend's claim that person should show you the ropes. A bit here and a bit there should be no big deal unless the adjacent claim owner is a real 'A'hole...............

The claims that I am prospecting on are the Weaver Mining District claims at Rich Hill. The corners are not always marked and some of the claims have angled boundaries which make it hard to determine which side of the boundary you are on. In the past I had prospected on claims that were owned by family and friends so I was very aware of the limits of the claim. Unfortunately all those claims are in southern Oregon and I now live in Arizona. There may be more gold here but I am trying to figure out where I can go on my own. I looked at joining some more clubs but because of a 20% salary cut they are out of my budget at this time. My finances are low enough and there is no way I can afford to risk being caught on someone else’s claim.

P.S. If anyone ever wants to do some nugget shooting just let me know. I have a lot of experience prospecting but just slightly over nil with my metal detector.

Casey,

Stop at the Weaver office, les has all the maps, you can get the actual, as filed, boundries at the county recorders office for any claim. BTW: It is the fileing with BLM/USFS & county recorder that counts NOT where the post are actualy set, free info to you, cost me a lawyer fees to learn!

Stop by my place when you pass through sometime!

Don't know about the Mac. Garmin Map Source will do the same thing but is not free! They have a MAC version.

max

Gilaoro....thank you so much for the website and the info. I too was concerned about wandering unwittingly into someone elses claim, even by a few yards. It is information like this that shows the inexperienced(me), that we have so much to learn.

Again,,,thanks so much. :bowdown:

You are welcome!

BTW ,there is some good gold on the Weaver claims ( and lots of huge boulders) he boulders were pushed up where they are now by dozers just before WW2 and a lot of the material that they planed to work never got run throught the trommel because of the war shut down non esential stuff like gold mines ( but opened other mines)

the gold is still there, mixed in with the rocks,rattlers, ironwood trees, cactus,scorpions, brown reclouse spiders , ants and old broken glass and bobed wire! Have fun. Don't tunnel, its unconsolidated and will cave on you.

The miners moved to Wickenburg,Az and mined Moly ore, there is a Mt of it there and its called "Black Mt ",

it was a valuable steel additive in WW2 and they took it to near Salome and stockpiled it. Its still there today, most of it. Because it was so rich in silver that the smelter can't extract either mineral, now they are making shipments to China to see if they can do something with it.

Some of the miners moved to "Eagle MT." in CA it is just off of I-10 west of Desert Center where Henry J. Keiser open the biggest US iron mines of the time to build ships in Longbeach,Ca the miners still prospected for gold on the Red Cloud area south of the now I-10 and in the Choclate Mts, lots of good gold there too.

Max

Gilaoro....thank you so much for the website and the info. I too was concerned about wandering unwittingly into someone elses claim, even by a few yards. It is information like this that shows the inexperienced(me), that we have so much to learn.

Again,,,thanks so much. :bowdown:

Max,

Good gold in the Eagle Mtns...

Looks as though that's just about to disappear along with thousands of square

miles of other desert prospecting land in this new wilderness act that is about to

be passed. It is a shame and of course, it will not be the end of it.

Hope somehow all of us can educate ourselves enough

to try to get some of this turned around.

Grubstake, as always you struck the heart of the matter...that was with fries.

I have a Garmin and mapquest, but the scale is practically useless unless you just want to know

roughly where you are...their topo's pale in comparison to other possibilities.

Whoever comes up with a proper scaled topo series for Garmin will be greatly welcomed

by thousands of people worldwide.

Flak

Flak,

Have you tried the newer series GPSMap 60 Cx from Garmin? You can buy a separate mini SD chip for the back of it behind the battery and get a lot better information. At least that has been my experience with the chip for the northeast. There are 5-6 chips to cover the lower 48 and another 1-2 for Alaska. Most of the chips retail for $79 list I believe. I have other things to buy, new GPX4500 and coils for one thing, for my trip at this point or I would buy one for the southwest. This time around it's Uncle Ron's maps and club maps for guidance.

Mike F.

Casey,

Stop at the Weaver office, les has all the maps, you can get the actual, as filed, boundries at the county recorders office for any claim. BTW: It is the fileing with BLM/USFS & county recorder that counts NOT where the post are actualy set, free info to you, cost me a lawyer fees to learn!

Stop by my place when you pass through sometime!

Don't know about the Mac. Garmin Map Source will do the same thing but is not free! They have a MAC version.

max

Max,

You are a wealth of knowledge as always. I know you have spent a lot of time is Stanton so I may have to stop by and pick your brain. This weekend I am booked with honey-do’s but next Friday or Saturday I may be passing through your area. I will PM you once I know I will be up your way.

Thank you,

You are most welcome anytime Casey! If the jeep is there I am too.

Contrary to a lot of people I like to share knowledge and good spots ( When I have permission or it is a spot I have found.)

Mike, don't let that cold weather and snow tresspass on AZ!! Goldfinger said it was -7 in Missouri, its 75 here in Morristown right now, suffer you yankees :laught16::laught16:

Max,

You are a wealth of knowledge as always. I know you have spent a lot of time is Stanton so I may have to stop by and pick your brain. This weekend I am booked with honey-do's but next Friday or Saturday I may be passing through your area. I will PM you once I know I will be up your way.

Thank you,

Max,

Good gold in the Eagle Mtns...

Looks as though that's just about to disappear along with thousands of square

miles of other desert prospecting land in this new wilderness act that is about to

be passed. It is a shame and of course, it will not be the end of it.

Hope somehow all of us can educate ourselves enough

to try to get some of this turned around.

Grubstake, as always you struck the heart of the matter...that was with fries.

I have a Garmin and mapquest, but the scale is practically useless unless you just want to know

Whoever comes up with a proper scaled topo series for Garmin will be greatly welcomed

Flak

Dont know if there is something similar for California or not, but here is a pretty descent Arizona topo that I loaded into my Garmin http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/1/

Old Skool Fool,

Good link! Thanks.

However it still will not do what USAPHOTOMAPS will : Aireal photos or topos, Tiger streets, resolution from 1 pixel per meter to 64 , place your on claim markers on map , place waypoints & routes, place on map notes and much more. Then using the USB cable that came with your GPS you can down load your custom made map to just about any GPS not just Garmin. You just can't get better details than a photo, I actualy prefer black & white. Once you get your eyes used to the shadows its almost 3-d. As a matter of fact you can buy a steroscoptic device to view two idenical maps side by side for a true 3-D effect or even get same scale maps taken at different times to see changes. I don't remember what its called and its probably pricey but when i worked for the USFS 3 summers we used them to find items as small as a single tree cut down. Main use was to find and mark fences for grazing allotments and clear cut boundries. A google search might find a used one since the logging is shut down and a lot of FS offices have been closed in logging country.

athanks & Good Luck

Max

Mike, don't let that cold weather and snow tresspass on AZ!! Goldfinger said it was -7 in Missouri, its 75 here in Morristown right now, suffer you yankees :laught16::laught16:

Max- you just had to rub it in... :laught16: Calling me an Eskimo from Yankeeland. :raspberry: For your information- it's going to get all the way up to 40 tomorrow. :raspberry:

Steve

Max,

Flak

That is exactly the reason I am now using the Delorme GPS. The maps are superior plus you can also have satellite and other imaginary for it.... a quantum leap from Garmin

:coffeetime: Just for the record -9 degrees this morning when I fired the truck. Should be a tad colder tomorrow moring before we warm up in the snow on Sunday. Is it February 3rd yet ... I am ready to leave for AZ now!! 18 days and counting!! Yahoo!

:coffeetime: :coffeetime: No I'm not anxious! :laught16:

Mike F'

Hey El Dorado how's it going?

I can't justify buying another gps right now,

especially since I get out so rarely these days.

And thanks for the Delorme tip, it looks interesting although I have

heard they don't work quite as well as Garmins,

what's you take on it?

All the best,

Flak

Oh and thank you Oldskool fool for the Az map site

and the mapquest instructional link...very cool.

Now if they just had CA...

Where ya gonna be Mike?