Nugget Shooter Forums

Advice Wanted: Vaquero vs Scorpion

Our family has just recently gotten into prospecting and our son got a metal detector for Christmas (Ace 250) because that was our budget, but after purchasing and looking at reviews online, we know it will not be a good prospecting machine.

We've decided to up the budget to $500 or less, I know it's still not enough to get a GREAT detector, but someday we'll upgrade when we've found enough GOLD!

So, within that budget looking around online I've found the two main contenders for a decent all-around but still good for gold detector is the Tesoro Vaquero or the Garrett Scorpion Stinger. They seem to be evenly matched in all ways but warranty but being a beginner, what would I know?? :confused0013: I've called a few prospecting stores and have been given different opinions so I'm hoping you will help me....

How well does either do at finding gold? Which one is better in your opinion? Will I get a good gold detector out of either of these models? Is there something else you'd recommend in the $500 or less price range? Any advice is appreciated since we are new to detecting. :smilie_help:

We live in Oregon if that also helps any.

Heather :newb: :spinnin:

Hi Heather...

Actually, a used Whites Goldmaster 2, or Goldmaster VSAT or Goldmaster 3, or a Fisher Goldbug 1 or Goldbug 2 all would be well within your budget and vastly superior to either of the two machines you are considering...Look on eBay and on the "for sale" forums ...Even place a "wanted" on the forums classified sections...Good luck & welcome to the forums...Cheers, Unc

You have many options.

My daughter has a Garret Ace 250 and it is an excellent Coin shooter. Deadly in parks and the identification works well.

It does not work so hot on gold...I have air and soil tested the 250 with a few small pieces of gold and it gets them, but at a VERY shallow depth...

There is a smaller coil available for the ACE 250, known as the 4.5in Sniping coil...I have not used or tested it but I would tend to think it would be a bit more sensitive to smaller gold than the stock coil and it is around 70 bucks on ebay...might look into that...

On another note....if you have given yourself a 500 budget, I would, in my opinion, try to find a Good Condition, Used detector. Many out there to choose from, someone on this very forum might have something suitable for sale.

I would think it logical to purchase a detector that might have been 1000 or more new, but you can now get it for less than half.

If you have prospecting on the mind, a Gold Specific machine is a must. I purchased a used Whites GoldMaster II for $150 last year and have seen Many similar deals. I am sure you will get more responses than mine :D

Remember, its just my Opinion :D

Nathan.

EDIT: LOL...Unc Beat me to the punch......Good to know he has a similar opinion :D

Uncle Ron is dead on with the recommendation to look at the used line of gold detectors!

I sold a Gold Bug 1 last spring for $350 and that included a second 6" coil, it was a gold nugget

killer on small pickers. I recommend a gold bug 2 if you find one and I know you can if you

take the time to look. :icon_mrgreen:

Good luck and have fun, that's what it's about.

Bob

Right now on ebay there are a couple of auctions for goldmasters...one is a GMT and it is 425.00.

That is a great machine for gold and meteorites.....if I had the extra right now I would be bidding on it.

Our family has just recently gotten into prospecting and our son got a metal detector for Christmas (Ace 250) because that was our budget, but after purchasing and looking at reviews online, we know it will not be a good prospecting machine.

We've decided to up the budget to $500 or less, I know it's still not enough to get a GREAT detector, but someday we'll upgrade when we've found enough GOLD!

So, within that budget looking around online I've found the two main contenders for a decent all-around but still good for gold detector is the Tesoro Vaquero or the Garrett Scorpion Stinger. They seem to be evenly matched in all ways but warranty but being a beginner, what would I know?? :confused0013: I've called a few prospecting stores and have been given different opinions so I'm hoping you will help me....

How well does either do at finding gold? Which one is better in your opinion? Will I get a good gold detector out of either of these models? Is there something else you'd recommend in the $500 or less price range? Any advice is appreciated since we are new to detecting. :smilie_help:

We live in Oregon if that also helps any.

Heather :newb: :spinnin:

Hello Got the fever.... I did have at one time a Garret Scorpion stinger...It cost me $500 dollars and it was a waste of good money....that was one of my first machines I ever bought. I was living in Phoenix AZ at the time and the Garret just could not handle the mineralization of the Desert around Wickenburg AZ...I really regret that buy. I started like you...get something that will do ...I know its hard for the common man to throw down big bucks to get a top notch machine...especially when you are a beginner at it. I look back now and wonder what I missed walking all thou's 1,000 of yards for years on end with a less than capable detector...With the event of the 4500 and 4000 out there now there predecessors 2100, 2200, 3000, 3500 are an excellent deal. Your a little more than have way there on price for a 2100. Wish the best for you on your decision. Guido

:twocents: Plenty of good--but not abused--used units for sale in your price range. I'd go with the GB2 or Tesoro Lobo ST-Lobo has great disc for heavy trash areas and GB2 is ya' dig it all style-tons a au 2u 2-John PS I'd never recommend anything I didn't personally own either--and I can afford whatever I want :coffeetime: