Nugget Shooter Forums

reading and learning, but have a question

goldenboy

Been sucking up all kinds of info on nugget shooting and want to give it a try. So do I use the $80 family

metal detector, buy a $500 starter detector? I simply can't justify to the wife a $2 or $3 thousand investment

at this time, or $500 for that matter.

I was even thinking of taking a week vacation heading up north to 49'er country and seeing if someone would rent

me a good machine. Certainly I couldn't get a hold of "ol'Baloo" as he seems to be a trusted friend, but where

do I start. I have a pan and even built a sluice just a few weeks ago, but really want to try the nugget shooting.

What is a serious Newbie to do? I got the fever ever since I was how many dead claims there were.

itchin to get diggin!

Don't know about the 49er country but several prospector shops here in AZ gold country rent out detectors, I highly recommend renting. Most of them will send you to a place to practice using it.

Been sucking up all kinds of info on nugget shooting and want to give it a try. So do I use the $80 family

metal detector, buy a $500 starter detector? I simply can't justify to the wife a $2 or $3 thousand investment

at this time, or $500 for that matter.

I was even thinking of taking a week vacation heading up north to 49'er country and seeing if someone would rent

me a good machine. Certainly I couldn't get a hold of "ol'Baloo" as he seems to be a trusted friend, but where

do I start. I have a pan and even built a sluice just a few weeks ago, but really want to try the nugget shooting.

What is a serious Newbie to do? I got the fever ever since I was how many dead claims there were.

itchin to get diggin!

If you look and have patience you can get a good used nugget hunting machine for 200 bucks or so...you don't need the newest and most expensive to try the hobby...

if you smoke, drink beer or buy starbucks everyday...cut back, put that money in a can and you will soon have the bucks...life is about choices...

or take that 80$ machine to the schools and parks and find enough for a better detector...

Fred

Guest bedrock bob
I go detecting often (and have a bit more time for it now) and have a spare machine....Where are you located?

2-300 can get you a nice used Gold Detector. I bought my spare/back up machine, a Whites Goldmaster 2, for 150 bucks.

Nathan.

I LOVE THE GMII!

One of the best darn gold getters out there! Definitely worth the $150.

I go detecting often (and have a bit more time for it now) and have a spare machine....Where are you located?

2-300 can get you a nice used Gold Detector. I bought my spare/back up machine, a Whites Goldmaster 2, for 150 bucks.

Nathan.

I quess I'm beepin for a beeper of my own, and I guess the name of the game is patience, right? My inlaws live out by Grass Valley, CA

and that was were I was hoping to start my golden journey. Been looking at various BLM maps and trying to find access to the wide open places.

I killed one whole weekend being hemmed in by private property. http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/style...eone/grrr01.gif

I guess I needed to head further up into the hills.

Don't know about the 49er country but several prospector shops here in AZ gold country rent out detectors, I highly recommend renting. Most of them will send you to a place to practice using it.

I will look and see what I can find, Thanks!

If you look and have patience you can get a good used nugget hunting machine for 200 bucks or so...you don't need the newest and most expensive to try the hobby...

if you smoke, drink beer or buy starbucks everyday...cut back, put that money in a can and you will soon have the bucks...life is about choices...

or take that 80$ machine to the schools and parks and find enough for a better detector...

Fred

:whoopie: Great advice, thanks. I'll see if I can dig up some coin http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/style...con_mrgreen.gif

while I search for a good used machine!

I LOVE THE GMII!

One of the best darn gold getters out there! Definitely worth the $150.

I was happy to pick it up. I use my Minelab Eureka Gold VLF generally and let friends use the Whites...it always takes them a bit to figure out the ground balancing. Great detector though and for 150 I couldn't say no.

Nathan.

If you are going to be in the Grass Valley area, there are open to the public areas along the South Fork of the Yuba River. Notably the area around and above Edwards Crossing. The Campground in that area is also an old Hydraulic pit that may be worth beeping. The river will usually show color on almost every pan if taken from a likely spot. The moss also holds fine gold.

Further North on Hwy 20 from Grass Valley is the old Omega hydraulic pit, many nuggets have been detected from that spot.

If you are going to be in the Grass Valley area, there are open to the public areas along the South Fork of the Yuba River. Notably the area around and above Edwards Crossing. The Campground in that area is also an old Hydraulic pit that may be worth beeping. The river will usually show color on almost every pan if taken from a likely spot. The moss also holds fine gold.

Further North on Hwy 20 is the old Omega hydraulic pit, many nuggets have been detected from that spot.

I believe it is open access on BLM land, and I saw there were some old claims in the State land by Edwards crossing...Is nugget shooting allowed on the state lands? Also I know Malacof diggins is close is that a national park and those limited? Thanks!

post-21835-1231948714_thumb.jpg

The Malakoff Diggins is a state park. You can pan for gold, but it's hands 'n pans only. No metal detectors allowed.

:hmmmmmm: Bummer... Thanks for the heads up! Any idea about the rules on the state land like shown south of Edwards Crossing

on this BLM map?

post-21835-1231970702_thumb.jpg

But all that area in Yellow is open to the public for detecting, panning, dredging (during the season and except for the one private claim). It is a large area. Personally I have dredged over a pound of gold from the river in 5 weeks! That is exactly the area I was mentioning.......

But all that area in Yellow is open to the public for detecting, panning, dredging (during the season and except for the one private claim). It is a large area. Personally I have dredged over a pound of gold from the river in 5 weeks! That is exactly the area I was mentioning.......

Thanks for getting back to me on that. Finding this forum has really been great for helping me to understand how things work!

I have the original Gold Bug...any opinions? :confused0013:

Sonny, I don't see how anyone can find a problem with that Avatar...

I had the GB1 and found gold with it...it is I believe a lower freguency than the GB2 which some liked becuase it gets a bit more depth...I used to have to have the newest and brightest toy so when the GB2 came out I traded up...I found a lot more bits with it and found it to be much easier to tune...you can and will find gold with either if your coil gets over a nugget within range of the coil. The stock coil is good, the small e-coil is fantastic on tiny bits...

Fred

:whoopie: Nice, thanks found one listed in the bay area as well. Gotta sell one of my other toys

quickly to get the money. Anyone interested in a 1965 Schwinn Twinn tandem bicycle?

I must say having Gold Fever is pretty bad, when it isn't keeping me awake, I'm dreamin about it.

:ROFL:

No thanks on the bike lol. Sonny the main thing I've heard about the GB1 GB2 difference is that the 2 has significant mineralisation improvements. Nothing compared to a minelab but makes it alot easier.

You don't say where you are located, hiding out I guess, there is a GBII in the Wickenberg,AZ newspaper for $500 says new used 3 times. :outtahere:

:whoopie: Nice, thanks found one listed in the bay area as well. Gotta sell one of my other toys

quickly to get the money. Anyone interested in a 1965 Schwinn Twinn tandem bicycle?

I must say having Gold Fever is pretty bad, when it isn't keeping me awake, I'm dreamin about it.

:ROFL:

Thanks to everyone on their response about the difference in the GB's. I think for now I will use my GB and look for a good used GBII. I gotta ask....(riscking looking like an idiot)......E coil? Is that the tiny little one about 4" in diameter? I the mid range one?

Thanks again.

Further North on Hwy 20 from Grass Valley is the old Omega hydraulic pit, many nuggets have been detected from that spot.

[/quot

Further North on Hwy 20 from Grass Valley is the old Omega hydraulic pit, many nuggets have been detected from that spot. However, this is PRIVATE PROPERTY. Please do not advise or recommend individuals to trespass on other's property. I'm sure all of us can agree that nobody appreciates being trespassed on. How would you feel if someone posted on an internet site your home address stating that there's some nice nuggets to be found inside that structure?

Private P....I have monitored this forum for awhile. I am positive that no one would advocate beeping on provate property, without first obtaining permission. Everyone on this forum, I have observed as very honorable. But thanks for the heads up.