Nugget Shooter Forums

Detector Question

Hello everyone,

I hunt for meteorites with my Gold Bug 2 and my Xterra 70. A friend of mine who also hunts for meteorites with his Gold Bug 2 went out one day with me and brought his fairly new Minelab V2100, using a 17 inch Nuggetfinder mono elliptical coil, thinking he would cover a lot of ground with it. What actually happened, is that he did not pick up any meteroites, even when I found them, his detector did not sound of over them. I have not used my PI (GPX 4000) to hunt for meteorites, but I was wondering if it might have been his detector or is it just that PIs are not good for this type of hunting. He found trash with it, but it would not pick up any meteroites. Any ideas?

Since I'm not sure the exact strewnfield your hunting, I will say I've hunted Gold Basin and Franconia with a ML GPX-4000 equiped with a 7" x 14" NF E-mono coil and I've had great results. The smallest chondrite I've nailed so far was a 1/8 gram chondrite using this combination. I also use a ML SD2100 for gold hunting and I'm confident this detector works well for meteorites too. Mike (goldmanmike) uses a GP3000, Paul (dezperate4nugs), uses a GP Extreme, Ben (regmaglitch) uses a SD2100... all these guys have had considerable success hunting meteorites with PI's.

So to answer your question... PI's work great for meteorite hunting, however this depends on the on the type of meteorite your trying to hunt. I'm going to take a guess and say if it's a lower class meteorite and doesn't have a lot of nickel/iron in it, then the PI's might have trouble picking them up.

If I were your friend, I'd think about getting a smaller elliptical mono coil since they are more sensitive. For the most part the guys I know use Coiltek Joey mono coils with much success and I prefer to use the NF 7" x 14" E-mono coil. On my recent vacation, I was using an 11" x 17" NF coil for hunting and it worked ok, but I had to slow my swing speed down considerably.

Hope this helps!

Del

Hi New Guy,

What Del says is true about most of us using Minelab pulse machines. When I first started hunting meteorites, I was using a White's GMT and my son was using my old Gold Bug I. Later I got the Minelabs, and gave the GMT to my son Erik to use. Oh my God! He has really cleaned up with that thing. He has easily found more than I have. Also, on a Gold Basin trip, I got a meteorite at four inches with the Minelabs on one day, and the next day hit one at ten inches with the GMT. Was that me or the detector? I think you should buy the best unit you can whithout breaking the budget, and just LEARN that machine. I'm talking live it, and breathe it. Del likes to call it "learning to use a metal detector effectively". I hope that answers your question.

Keep hunting, Ben

Aloha nuggetshooter,

what everyone says about "learning your detector" is true. Since switching from my stock coil to the sierra gold max honker coil I have actually found more stuff in places I frequented in the past. Slow you swing speed down considerably and "listen" for them faint sounds that are different. It will take some time so dont rush it. Just let it come to you as you cover ground and tune your machine every 15-20 minutes. Sound redundant BUT hey it works.

good luck out there.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the replies. Perhaps I was not clear. I do not have the problem. My Gold Bug 2 and my GPX 4000 have not problems finding meteorites. It is my friend that has the issue with his V2100. He finds them with his Gold Bug 2, but when he uses his Minelab V 2100, it does not sound off over meteorites, regardless of size. He is taking it into Minelab Las Vegas this next week to see what the issue is. He finds trash with it, small specks of lead, tin, etc, but when he passes the coil over a meteroite, it is silent. My former GP Extreme did not have an issue with finding meteorites. It may be that he is using too big a coil (17" mono elliptical - Nuggetfinder), but I have fund them with my 16 inch round mono Nuggetfinder. It is just strange that his detector will not beep over a meteoirte, regardless of type and/or size. Hopefully Minelab will resolve the issue for him. In the mean time, he continues to find meteroites with his Gold Bug 2.