Nugget Shooter Forums

My first Trip Out! dug lots of granite!

So I finally got out yesterday. dug lots of nails, cans, etc.

I must have missed something in my research though about granite. Why does it set off the detector? I dug some deep holes only to discover large chunks of granite. Later in the day, I went over a field of granite rocks, and they were all "hot"

It drove me batty. I found a nice piece of quartz with a rusty line through it that must be iron I guess? anyway, anyone experience this or am I nuts?

thanks

I can't anwer your question quite as well as others here but I would suspect that is not granite. I would suspect a shist or gneiss.... I have areas where this bedrock sets off my detector. Inspect your rusty quartz carefull maybe even break it up, that is actually what you "want" to find.

Sounds like a lot of shist to me :laught16::laught16::laught16:

Hunting outside of Las Vegas, in an old mining claim (Now expired)

Using a white's Goldmaster.

Ground Balanced according to manual at site--- BTW took me forever____LOL!!.

I think I'll grab a piece and post a photo, and of the quartz too.

Thanks for taking the time to help a noobie!

LOL

:innocent0009:

So I finally got out yesterday. dug lots of nails, cans, etc.

I must have missed something in my research though about granite. Why does it set off the detector? I dug some deep holes only to discover large chunks of granite. Later in the day, I went over a field of granite rocks, and they were all "hot"

It drove me batty. I found a nice piece of quartz with a rusty line through it that must be iron I guess? anyway, anyone experience this or am I nuts?

thanks

Granite is composed of Mica, quartz and feldspar...there is something else in the Granite that is setting it off. Get a sledge hammer and bust it down and detect which piecse or if both are still singing away. Then crush and pan it out...That's my guess.

Intrusions that run through granite may sometimes contain gold. Also, a vein of metallic material (like hematite) can be sandwiched between layers of granite. Hard to say what you've stumbled upon until you do some further checking (crush some up, spread a thin layer of the resulting dust and specks across the bottom of a wide bottomed plastic gold pan, run a powerful magnet beneath the underside of the pan to see if there is an attraction, pan it out, etc).

Photo of said Quartz with something setting off the detector (reddish brown muddy color running through it)

And what I call granite (on right) that has flecks of something that sparkles in the sunlight LOL! The bigger the piece of this rock, the hotter it was. I even dug some 8 inches deep under a fine sand that had the detector screaming??

Hope the photos help?

I'm a noob, so poke fun, I can take it! :laught16:

post-21691-1231785197_thumb.jpg

post-21691-1231785224_thumb.jpg

Looks like granodiorite to me,a good place for for gold ore in the western part of Calaveras county,Ca...the west point didtrict especially.Crush it up,pan out slowly as previously mentioned.the shiny looks like mica/or just mineral refractions in the light.........Dave

Left is Chalcedony with Iron stains (red color). Right is Granite with Mica in it. The stuff on the left might have small traces of Iron in it and that is probably what set off your detector.

Just my opinion :)