Nugget Shooter Forums

Calaverite,Where to buy specie?

A friend who has a local gold/art shop called last night and has a German buyer for a small calaverite specie sample.He thought I'd have some being it was first identified/found down the road at the Carson hill mine,back in the day and for many decades I 've worked near there.Told him it was rare stuff(40%) gold and wished for a trunk load myself :laught16::laught16: .Any links or info towards a purchase,please post.

A friend who has a local gold/art shop called last night and has a German buyer for a small calaverite specie sample.He thought I'd have some being it was first identified/found down the road at the Carson hill mine,back in the day and for many decades I 've worked near there.Told him it was rare stuff(40%) gold and wished for a trunk load myself :laught16::laught16: .Any links or info towards a purchase,please post.

Dave,

I am sorry to say that if I had any idea where my specimens are located, I would sell the German buyer a sample. I have several nice 2x2's and some small pieces of Cripple Creek material, they are nice crystalline pieces on quartz and fluorite. I traded some nice Gilman, Colo., Rhodochrosite on Sphalerite specimens for the lot. They are packed away in drums with the rest of my mineral collection. As my wife likes to say "when something gets packed and stored in my buildings in Chloride, it has little chance of seeing daylight again" :shrug: :hmmmmmm: She is usually right........ :laught16:

I have seen a piece or 2 on E-Bay from time to time, you might also check with someone that is attending the Tucson gem and mineral show. Those dealers that attend that show, usually know where a sample of most any mineral can be obtained.

Here is a link that I was able to find. Do not know anything about it.

http://mineral.galleries.com/scripts/item....ides+Calaverite

Jim

Hi Dave,

Like Jim was saying, you can get it at the Tucson show. Last year, the part of the show at the Convention Center, had at least three dealers on the floor that each had a LARGE selection of pieces, with even LARGER prices.

Ben

Randy,don't have a clue what the fellow is looking for.He lives a few months a year in the motherlode,and the rest in his fatherland,Germany.Never met or spoke to him....Reg,thanks for the info...........Dave

Well if he's willing to pay good money I know where a ton of that stuff in my pictures is :) I gotta call the guy I got it from and see if it's Calaverite or not. Looks like it but I'm not positive. It came from a famous Silver mine's dump pile :)

Dave

Type Calaverite into search.

There is several dealers that have it. Most is from the Cripple Creek

area. I priced specimen from $12.00 to a few hundred dollars.

Greg,

I gave Dave a link to some Cripple Creek material in my post, maybe he didn't see the post :shrug:

As he did not comment................

Jim

Jim

There is lots of Calaverite specimen for sale around Colorado.

Just about every prospector I know from there has some or knows

where to find it. :laught16: :laught16:

It can run from the tourist rock shop stuff to rare and expensive.

The funny part is the old timers threw it on the dump,thinking it

was waste,until someone figured out what it contained and how to

process it. :Huh_anim]:

Paleface,Greg and all,..spoke to the friend who asked me for a sample and I believe the fellow is looking for a local sample from the Carson hill mine where it was possibly first identified,and named after this county.Told the friend to go out to the mine site which has been a rock quarry/small gold op for the past 10 years and ask to buy a sample,if they know what it is.They had a mining engineer a couple of years ago,and perhaps still do.Believe all the tellurides of gold were found at one of the claims of this mine,petzite,sylvanite,calaverite,etc...like Greg mentioned much was lost in the early days........Dave