Nugget Shooter Forums

First Stoney! ( I think)

Hello all,

With time on my hands this weekend I decided to look through some of the many meteorwrongs Zaya and I have collected over the last year of hunting in 2008. Well I am no expert and with a little over a year of experience under little Z-man and my belt, I sat down and looked them over before throwing them away. While doing so I came across a small stone which caught my eye. It weighs a whopping 4.2 grams!!! It sticks to my neo mag pretty strongly. It also has small stress fractures on it as well as fusion crust?

Take a look at these photos and pipe in. I promise I will not get my feelings hurt if it is not. Now with a little more experience and help from great folks like Ruben, Ben, Erik, MIke, Paul and the great folks of this forum, I have a good feeling about this one. Here are the pics. Thanks all.

possiblemeteorite019.jpg

possiblemeteorite009.jpg

possiblemeteorite014.jpg

possiblemeteorite022.jpg

Dean

Hi Dean,

Yes, it has the looks of a chondrite. Have you streak tested it on unglazed porcelein? Will it make a sound on your metal detector? I know it's not a large specimen but, now it's time to take a deep breath and either window a corner of the stone with a file, or cut it into two parts with a rock saw. Very nice pics. By the way, I hope you remember WHERE you found it. Spring is just around the corner................

Bueno Suerte, Ben

Hello all,

I did a streak test and filed a window. It does not look good. It left a brown streak (hematite?) Here is a photo of the filed area.

Thanks Felipe, Ben, Wayne, John and all for looking and for the feedback! This year is the year!

http://i264.pho

Hello all,

I did a streak test and filed a window. It does not look good. It left a brown streak (hematite?) Here is a photo of the filed area.

Thanks Felipe, Ben, Wayne, John and all for looking and for the feedback! This year is the year!

DSCF0066.jpg

Dean

Hello all,

DSCF0066.jpg

Dean

Dean,

I would not chuck that specimen in the leaverite box just yet.....You said that the specimen was very magnetic, hematite is very lightly magnetic. Do you get a red to brown streak from the windowed area? Some meteorites will give off a brown streak at first because the surface is quite weathered, after you get through the weathered portion, a meteorite will not leave a repeatable streak.

Exhaust all possibilities. http://meteorite-identification.com/streak.html

Jim

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the link. This one is very magnetic compared to all the different stones I have checked this last year. I will go ahead and take it with me to Tucson and have it looked at by some of the more experienced meteorite folks. Its a small stone with a small window. I tryed it again and am getting a lighter streak but I can not tell if this is from the edges of this piece or not.

Thanks again

Dean

Hi Dean, I'd have to say from the photo's it has the look of a Chondrite, stone meteorite. The window you filed looks like metal flakes or posibly metal chondrals. They look round in the photo. If it is it would be a rare class. I'd be sure to take it to the Tucson Gem show and have it checked by the pro's.

There is a Chondrite that has metal chondrals in it. Here's a history on the Gujba Meteoirte... You may have to cut and paste the web site's. :coffeetime:

http://www.meteoritemarket.com/GUJ.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com/METEORITE-One-Of-The-R...A1%7C240%3A1318

It's also possible that it could be a Mesosiderite form of the Chondrite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesosiderite

http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/...sosiderite.html

Best wishes and good luck, jim "bones" :outtahere:

Bones,

Thanks for the links to the sites! I will have it with me in Tucson and have whom ever is willing to look at it for me do so.

This last year I have learned a few things as I have gone along. Taking out the bags of stones Zaya and I found to look them over compared to when we first started sure makes a difference how I look at them now.

For example: I found what I thought was a siderite last year that weighs 147.5 grams and is rusted quite heavily. I just looked at it again on Sunday with the loop in the sun and guess what I found. I found an olivine crystal which now makes it a Pallasite!!! I can't believe I missed that. Like I said though, I have learned more since then.

I am still learning and patiently waiting to find a Chondrite or two. I would like to hunt Franconia one day soon, in fact how far is it from Tucson? That sounds like an idea if it is not to far away. Any members reading this can pipe in for some info. It would be appreciated.

Thanks Jim

Dean

Bones,

Thanks for the links to the sites! I will have it with me in Tucson and have whom ever is willing to look at it for me do so.

I would like to hunt Franconia one day soon, in fact how far is it from Tucson? Thanks Jim

Dean

Hi Dean, there will be plenty of meteorite hunters at the show. Best place would be at the "Inn Suites", Geoff Notkin will be in Room 230, upstairs. There will be many other's there at the Inn Suites as well.

Franconia is about a six hour drive from Tucson. Around 250 to 325 miles. It depends on which way you drive to get there. Im sure there will guy's at the show who will help you find the way with drawings, etc. Ruben Garcia may be there and is a great help in these matter's.

Franconia is about 35 to 45 miles southwest of Kingman, AZ. About 18 miles East of Topock on hwy 40. Topock is on the border of Calif. and Ariz. :hmmmmmm:

best wishes, jim "bones" :coffeetime: :outtahere:

Dean, if you have a copy of the new "field Guide" by O R Norton there is a picture of Jim Smaller's fine job-of-work compiling the strewn field for Franconia....the South side is easily accessible but has loads of military stuff and other junk...but you can stay close to your car and work for a few hours. The other side you have to park in a wash or cross the tracks and travel the RR RoW which I have done but don't recommend...I have driven up the wash inmy Frontier to get away from passers-by but do not do that if there is any chance of flash floods...even in 4wd it is risky when alone.

Also, check the old posts and you should find a map from one of the gatherings....

Good Luck

Fred

Mike, thanks for the info, I will give it a try it this weekend!

Freelancer, Thanks buddy!

Bones, Thanks, I did not realize it was still that far away. I will probably save the time and try my luck at Holbrook instead. It is about 3 1/2 hours from my home. This will be the second time in Tucson. My wife and I are looking forward to going. If anything I might stop for part of the day some where on the way home.

Fred, I have wanted to purchase Norton's book for some time. I will definitely take some time and head that way for 3 days or so. Id love to add a few Franconias to my collection. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Thanks guys

Dean

• 2 weeks later...
Yo All...Does it de-value an oriented piece if you window it or slice it? Thanks, Unc

Hello Uncle Ron,

That is a great question! I have only put a window in about half a dozen stones. The one I put a window on in this post, I have not yet found out if in fact it is a meteorite or meteorwrong. I am hoping to do so in Tucson.

Can some one please pipe in and let Unc and I know the answer to this question. How about pieces that are not oriented?

Dean