Nugget Shooter Forums

Garrit ace 250

Fuzzy699

Im new to gold hunting. I have a Garrit Ace 250 and will have to wait till I get the $$$ to get a more desireable gold machine. I was just curious what my odds of finding gold with the ace 250 or would i be wasting time. I live in Phoenx area so I know im in driving distance of gold areas. Thanks for any info.

well, if you are heading to hard hit areas, probably slim to none...but, you just can't beat beginners luck...

There is a great and true story of a load of gold found by a novice and a "low-end machine"...it happened not long ago. SO, do your research and have a go!

I don't know the 250 but my unasked for advice is to go try some nuggets and see how they do in an air test...that will be the smallest size you can hope in the real world of soil matrixs...if not nuggets, buy some split shot of various sizes and try them in a wash with rock and black sands...you can learn a lot that way.

If you start hunting coins every day for a hour at parks and schools you will be amazed how quick the coins add up and help subsidize a used nugget detector...

Best wishes

fred

I own two VLF Gold detectors and a Garret Ace 250.

I have a few test nuggets and the Garret, in my garden, detects a 7.1 grain nugget at about 3 inches with the sensitivity where it is when you power on the machine. about 4.5 inches if you are able to increase the sensitivity to 100%.

The Ace 250 is by no way, IMHO, a gold machine, but on very exposed bedrock, you might have some luck.

Btw, also IMHO, the pinpoint feature of the Ace 250 works WONDERFULY. Holding down the pinpoint button generates a threshold tone like higher end VLF machines and where you get the peak signal in each direction is where the target resides. Very accurate pinpointing.

My daughter loves taking the 250 to the park and making 10 bucks in an hour or two :D

Nathan.

P.S. The Ace 250 is DEADLY on coins in parks. It is Pretty darn Accurate on what it is telling you. If it says its a Dime at 4 inches, its a Dime for sure....might be 3-5 inches though :D

• 2 weeks later...
I own two VLF Gold detectors and a Garret Ace 250.

I have a few test nuggets and the Garret, in my garden, detects a 7.1 grain nugget at about 3 inches with the sensitivity where it is when you power on the machine. about 4.5 inches if you are able to increase the sensitivity to 100%.

The Ace 250 is by no way, IMHO, a gold machine, but on very exposed bedrock, you might have some luck.

Thanks for the info gives me hope

Btw, also IMHO, the pinpoint feature of the Ace 250 works WONDERFULY. Holding down the pinpoint button generates a threshold tone like higher end VLF machines and where you get the peak signal in each direction is where the target resides. Very accurate pinpointing.

My daughter loves taking the 250 to the park and making 10 bucks in an hour or two :D

Nathan.

P.S. The Ace 250 is DEADLY on coins in parks. It is Pretty darn Accurate on what it is telling you. If it says its a Dime at 4 inches, its a Dime for sure....might be 3-5 inches though :D

I've not tried the Ace for nuggets but I bought one for my "never, ever detected before" Wifey and she did pretty good when we went to our first coin shoot last year. I had read that it was a good machine (for coin shooting) and that was proven true. I think the manual mentioned prospecting mode... Go dig up a bunch of coins and gold chains to be used towards your next detector!

I've not tried the Ace for nuggets but I bought one for my "never, ever detected before" Wifey and she did pretty good when we went to our first coin shoot last year. I had read that it was a good machine (for coin shooting) and that was proven true. I think the manual mentioned prospecting mode... Go dig up a bunch of coins and gold chains to be used towards your next detector!

I agree 100%. It is a true coin shooter...i feel it is under rated...I was in a local park with my daughter and she was getting an intermittent signal <her swing is yet to be perfected> so I took over and when I held the coil tight to the grass and swung it I got a 'Quarter at 8 inches' indicator, repeatably. So I pinpointed it and we started digging and the hole was a solid 10 inches, maybe a bit more until we found the quarter. She dug the last bit because I couldn't get my hand in the small hole <grassy park, did not want to damage more than 25cents worth of sod lol>

It is not a prospecting machine but like Kamikaze said, use it to find coins and jewelry to fund a better, True, gold detector.

It certainly knocks coins dead. I bought it for my daughter to use as a Toy, and she has made a couple deposits to her bank account from the coins she has recovered <5-20 bucks each deposit, just to be clear :) > I am impressed with the sub 300 dollar all around coin shooter yellow thing. :D

The ACE, in my experience, likes a modest swing speed. Not lightning fast, but not PI slow <which seems to be as slow as you'd like to go> I would say I complete a left to right swing in about 2 seconds (i'm tall with long arms lol)

Nathan.

P.S. Honestly, a few weekends of hitting your local parks hard Could very possibly net you enough coin (pardon the cheesy pun) to have a good start on a modern VLF gold detector... Hit the parks and play grounds :) <coin shooting tip...Kids LOVE to hang upside down on Monkey Bars, etc. If there is Sand under it, kids hang upside down...when coin shooting, I start at the Monkey Bars, then the Swingsets, and any other playground toy that has sand under it....Upside-down kids = Lost Change :) >

• 3 weeks later...