Nugget Shooter Forums

Back from Vacation... nailed over a Kilo!

Hi all, geez I haven't been on the forum for it seems a couple weeks now and it looks like I missed a lot. I guess there was a fireball sighting over California and Jason finally nailed his first dry lake bed finds (congrats again Jason!). I really feel like I missed out, but I guess that happens when you spend time in the field.

I just got back from my annual vacation which I usually take around this time of the year. The original plan was to meet up with Ruben along with a few other people out at Holbrook but those plans fell through since the weather didn't allow for it to happen. Instead I decided to meet up and camp out with Nate for a five and a half day hunt out at Gold Basin and I also managed to squeeze in a few hours over a couple days out at Franconia.

Overall the weather was freezing at night, but not bad during the day. It was bearable if you had the right equipment, I froze my butt off the first couple days at night since I didn't have a good heater for my tent. But once that got squared away I had nothing to whine about.

Here's my Franconia finds-

7.8 gram close up-

78gramFranconiacloseup.jpg

9.1 gram close up-

91GramFranconiaCloseup.jpg

Here's a gorgeous 9.7 gram iron (SAW005) I found that I'm sure Jim will be happy to see-

97gramFranconiaIronFront.jpg

97gramFranconiaIronBack.jpg

Jim I'll be glad to show this to you the next time I'm out!

123.1 gram in-situ-

1235gFranconiain-situ.jpg

123.1 gram close up-

1235gFranconiacloseup.jpg

Total Franconia haul-

FranconiaVacationRun.jpg

Totals-

6 chondrites (one isn't in this pic because I screwed when taking it)- 3.3g, 7.8g, 9.1g, 23.1g, 22.3g, and 123.5 grams totaling 189.1 grams

A 9.7 gram Iron (worth mentioning all by itself!)

17 irons, totaling 7.6 grams

Total for Franconia is 206.4 grams... not bad for a couple of short runs!

68.8 gram dig hole-

688gramGBhole.jpg

~6"-8" deep

68.8 gram close up-

688gramGBCloseup.jpg

Here's a beauty-

188gramcloseup.jpg

A 188 grammer!

Here's the dig hole-

178gHole.jpg

Found 8-10 inches deep! For some strange reason, this one didn't scream on my detector. Had I been swinging my coil any faster I would have walked right over it!

Now for the whopper-

357gramGB.jpg

A 357 grammer! It's four fragments that fit together like a puzzle. Boy is it an ugly SOB, but I'll take it!

The dig holes-

357gramholes.jpg

All holes were 6-10 inches deep. To me this really emphasizes the importance of gridding when you score a find. About two feet away from one of the holes was an old dig hole. I'm pretty sure the person probably scored a nice size piece of the fragmented meteorite I found. Had the person spent time and gridded, they would have found the rest of this whopper!

Now for my favorite find... a Gold Basin gold nugget!!

GoldBasinNugget.jpg

It weighed in at 0.392 grams.

Nate took this pic of me after I found it-

DelwithGoldNugget.jpg

After I found it, all I could think of was Fred Mason's article "Fred's Local Adventure" published in the February 2007 edition of Meteorite Magazine where his goals were to find meteorites at Gold Basin and Franconia along with a gold nugget within seven days. I have to admit I had a feeling of accomplishment when I nailed this nugget since this was also one of my goals. Not to mention, this was my last find of 2008. What a way end end the year!

Here's my whole Gold Basin take-

GoldBasinVacation.jpg

Total Gold Basin haul-

13 chondrites- 1.0g 6.8g, 7.5g, 7.7g, 7.9g, 16.5g, 20.1g, 43.9g, 52.8g, 53.4g, 68.8g, 188g, and 357 grams totaling 831.4 grams

1 gold nugget weighing 0.392 grams (found with my SD2100 again!)

Total weight from Franconia and Gold Basin is 1037.8 grams!! Just over a Kilo!! :woohoo:

Nate did good too, maybe he'll chime in here and report his finds. He decided to try out my SD2100 for a day and broke it's meteorite cherry in about three minutes! Way to go Nate!!

Here's a pic of Nate with a nice score-

Natewithfind.jpg

Jason came out for a one day hunt and he also scored some nice ones (I'm sure you all saw his post). Thanks for coming out Jason, it was great to hunt with you. I also had a gold hunting buddy (Randy) who was passing though and decided to stop by for a short hunt and he scored a few meteorites too. It was the first time he ever scored meteorites and I just had to capture the moment-

Randywithfinds1.jpg

Here's a close up of Randys finds-

Randysfinds-1.jpg

I'm worn out, tired, beatin and bruised. Hell my body still aches and I have yet to warm up. But ohhhh maaaan, it was so worth it! Unfortunately it's back to the world of the

working stiff for me!

Del

DEl, WTG!!!!! And a nugget? I guess the 'Ol man paid off, I should stayed a few days longer... but the dry lake find was just as cool. Thanks for the hunt to you and Nate. Jason :;):

Del, you are the MAN!!! Very nice haul...I especially envy (but not covetous of) your big Franconia Iron and that very pretty Nugget! I wish I could of joined up with your expedition but is was not to be...on the other hand I will return to gold basin in the late winter to find a bigger nugget now that my 3500 is (hopefully) fully functional. You boys rock!!!

fred

Aloha guys,

What can I say but :woohoo: :woohoo: ! Nice finds as usual. That Franconia iron is especially nice.

Keep up the good work and maybe I will see you guys out in the field soon.

Aloha and be safe.

Stan aka Kaimi

So dell you finally posted guess i need to post my pics here thy are

The big one you see me holding is my biggest find to date its 117 grams.

the 2 on the pavement i saw before hitting them with the Detector getting better eyes i guess...

was a fun huntting with Dell and jayray and outheres.....

PS I'm a noob so give me rocks :)

post-6857-1231289203_thumb.jpg

post-6857-1231289210_thumb.jpg

post-6857-1231289221_thumb.jpg

post-6857-1231289238_thumb.jpg

Aloha Nate,

Hot darn bro looks like you are starting to get the hang of this hobby. Nice finds!! Keep up the good work and looking forward to running into you out in the field now that my relic/ghost town hunting is being put back on the rear burner for now. Can hardloy wait to get out in the field to start getting them space rocks and maybe a nugget or two.

Aloha and be safe out there.

Stan aka Kaimi

Hi Guys

Great finds !!! Nate bring em over and we'll saw em up !! The GB meteorites have great interiors, most with pristine metal and nice chondrules. Some have nice armoured chondrules and occasionally achondritic clasts . Every once in awhile you can find one with nice orange /yellow pea sized chondrules poking out the sides or wack into one with a saw. Again congrads guys !! Happy Huntin John B.

HOLY FRICKING COW!!!

Right on guys, congrats on the awesome finds! That nugget is sweet! How many days did you spend at each location?

Del you sure make it look easy buddy. I am saving up for the gas to head up that way one day soon. I am up to my eye balls in snow here and it is gonna snow again this weekend. No hunting here for at least two months.

Congrats once again on the Beautiful Franconias, Gold basins and a great gold nugget. Congrats to all of you.

Dean

Thanks for the kudos guys! Some days were good, some days were bad, and Nate and I both were fortunate enough to get our coils over a few good finds. I nailed the bigger ones the first couple days I was there so the rest were gravy. I know one thing, Nate definately worked hard for his finds and he did a darn fine job of it! :cool:

Hey Nate, what were the weights on all your finds and how many total did you find?

Jason- The experience you had with you're family far outweighs any meteorite you'll ever find. Of course I think we'll all give you a hard time for a while since your wife showed you how dry lake bed hunting is done. :laught16: :;):

Dean- Nate and I hunted Gold Basin for five and a half days. For me Franconia is on the way out there, so I hit it up on the way out and when I was heading home. I got out there kind of late both days so I couldn't get a full days hunt in. Ended up spending 4-6 hours out there each day.

Del

Thanks for the kudos guys! Some days were good, some days were bad, and Nate and I both were fortunate enough to get our coils over a few good finds. I nailed the bigger ones the first couple days I was there so the rest were gravy. I know one thing, Nate definately worked hard for his finds and he did a darn fine job of it! :cool:

Hey Nate, what were the weights on all your finds and how many total did you find?

Jason- The experience you had with you're family far outweighs any meteorite you'll ever find. Of course I think we'll all give you a hard time for a while since your wife showed you how dry lake bed hunting is done. :laught16: :;):

Dean- Nate and I hunted Gold Basin for five and a half days. For me Franconia is on the way out there, so I hit it up on the way out and when I was heading home. I got out there kind of late both days so I couldn't get a full days hunt in. Ended up spending 4-6 hours out there each day.

Del

12 all to gather if i remember right i don't have a scale but the toddle weight was like 358 grams or something

Del, Nate, Jason..............

:wubu: WTG, Ya make it sound easy and we all know that scoring like you guys did, is really hard to do anymore. I can remember when kilo days were common, now a 50 gram day is a great achievement. I just have to let your secret out of the bag.............. :innocent0009: " Swing Speed " Most all of the successful hunters at Gold Basin have learned to slow down and listen for the subtle signals that indicate a deep GB meteorite. Del, I am impressed with your patience on retrieving the puzzle pieces. Does it look to have weathered apart or an impact separation?? I have found several multiple puzzle pieces out there that were scattered out 10' or more. Most of the puzzle pieces that I have found at GB, look to have weathered apart.

That is one mighty fine looking Sacramento Wash 005, probably the biggest one found out there in over a year. Finding an iron in the 10 gram range at Franconia is like finding a 2500 gram Franconia chondrite. Less than 20 Irons above 5 grams and around 20 chondrites weighing over 2500 grams have reported to have been found. Please tell me that your find came from the center of the field and not the fluff area :unsure: An iron that size sure gives off a sweet signal, one that you should remember for quite some time. Was it buried and is that a small gun metal blue spot that I see on the smooth side, by your thumb ??

GB gold is always a welcome sight, a perfect capper for a very productive vacation.

You guys keep teaming up, there isn't going to be any meteorites left in Mohave county..... :;):

Jim

What a trip and those are some gnarly finds Del. I was freezing my but off

just hunting spots in town or close to town. The only thing i found

was the biggest piece of magnetite ive ever seen. Which sucks.

But darn you really made out good!

[Erik]

Del, Nate, Jason..............

:wubu: WTG, Ya make it sound easy and we all know that scoring like you guys did, is really hard to do anymore. I can remember when kilo days were common, now a 50 gram day is a great achievement. I just have to let your secret out of the bag.............. :innocent0009: " Swing Speed " Most all of the successful hunters at Gold Basin have learned to slow down and listen for the subtle signals that indicate a deep GB meteorite. Del, I am impressed with your patience on retrieving the puzzle pieces. Does it look to have weathered apart or an impact separation?? I have found several multiple puzzle pieces out there that were scattered out 10' or more. Most of the puzzle pieces that I have found at GB, look to have weathered apart.

That is one mighty fine looking Sacramento Wash 005, probably the biggest one found out there in over a year. Finding an iron in the 10 gram range at Franconia is like finding a 2500 gram Franconia chondrite. Less than 20 Irons above 5 grams and around 20 chondrites weighing over 2500 grams have reported to have been found. Please tell me that your find came from the center of the field and not the fluff area :unsure: An iron that size sure gives off a sweet signal, one that you should remember for quite some time. Was it buried and is that a small gun metal blue spot that I see on the smooth side, by your thumb ??

GB gold is always a welcome sight, a perfect capper for a very productive vacation.

You guys keep teaming up, there isn't going to be any meteorites left in Mohave county..... :;):

Jim

Hi Jim, it looks like the meteorite puzzle I found may have broken apart from weathering. Seems to me the burried ones are usually weathered pretty good.

Another thing I think you can add to a slow swing speed is scrubbing the ground with your coil. I always say to the meteorite hunters, if you learn to hunt like a gold hunter you'll nail everything that goes under your coil. This seems to work for me!

Now for the iron, I have admit it's my most favorite find to date from Franconia because of the rarity. Sorry to tell you, I see no gun metal blue on it, just a nice patina like you see in the pics. It will fit in just fine next to the five gram iron I found a while back. It's pretty funny how I found it, I was hiking back to my truck at sundown and dragging my coil on the ground (I've lost count how many I've found this way!). Then I got this booming signal I could tell was close to the surface. I stuck my magnet down and something came flying out of the ground toward my magnet (I use a neodymium with ~200 lbs of pull) and I heard that distinctive "snap". I knew exactly what it was and that it was a good size too. I have to admit, I pumped my fist in the air a few times and belted out a "HELL YEAH!" after finding it. As for where I found it... you know the area I've been hunting and it was there. I haven't hunted the fluff area for over 1.5 years now. Thats your spot and I respect the fact that you love to go out there from time to time and pluck a few.

Hey Erik, sooner or later you need to head up to GB to pop your cherry kid. I'm willing to bet you'll nail the place in less than three hours!

Del