Nugget Shooter Forums

White's MXT

Tom in Ca.

Hello everyone. I have been reading the posts on this forum for the past four mounths. Everyone seems to be very helpfull.

I used to do a lot of metal detecting for coins and other treasears. I had a white's 5000D and it served me very well. I also did a lot of prospecting with a small dreage or just a sluice and a shovel. Mostly in the Nights Ferry area I never put the two together.

Well I am retired now and bought a new White's MXT and was wondering if it would be any good in the mineralized ground here in the central Ca. mother load. I bought a White's shooter DD coil to go with it. It helps in trashy areas ween coin hunting and is supposed to be the best for nugget shooting.

Any information greatly appreseated.

Tom, just my .02 worth- I run a 4500, but a year or so ago, bought an MXT for it's discrimination abilities, for an area where some nice gold was found nearby, but close by it was very trashy w/ rusted cans ect. It didn't help, but then I didn't give it alot of use and don't know the machine. Some swear by it; might check-

Shipwreck and Treasure Forum

Treasurenet.com

and a couple others, I don't know their .com

Google "MXT, VLF or the like" forums, and they might be able to direct you where you want to go.

Shep

Hello everyone. I have been reading the posts on this forum for the past four mounths. Everyone seems to be very helpfull.

I used to do a lot of metal detecting for coins and other treasears. I had a white's 5000D and it served me very well. I also did a lot of prospecting with a small dreage or just a sluice and a shovel. Mostly in the Nights Ferry area I never put the two together.

Well I am retired now and bought a new White's MXT and was wondering if it would be any good in the mineralized ground here in the central Ca. mother load. I bought a White's shooter DD coil to go with it. It helps in trashy areas ween coin hunting and is supposed to be the best for nugget shooting.

tom holler at loony 007 he is on these forums ..he is a master with a mxt.. I hunted with him for afew years and i can verify all the gold he found I have all the pics...

Tom I had a MXT and traded it for a GMT. The MXT isn't any good in mineralized Soil. Like Greaterville . The GMT was designed for Gold. And does a pretty good job. Doug

Tom in Ca.

go to www.findmall.com/list.php?25 it is a MXT user Forum

John

Tom in Ca.,

There's a book called "The MXT Edge" by Jeff Foster which is great...........$24

http://www.akmining.com/cart/bookcoins.htm

Also read (on the ak forums) some of the rateings of gold machines by Steve H. & his ingenius use of the MXT to discrminate gold from trash (deep trash) on his claims................

wonderer

• 1 month later...

great book :coffeetime: I had it ,loaned it to a friend and he loaned it to a friend and that guy loaned it to someone, and so on. Now my olny hope is someone will loan me my book back to read.

Lots of folks use an MXT for gold. It will do just fine if you take the time to learn it well. In mild ground the stock coil will work ok. In hot ground the shooter will do the trick. Just get after it!

RSJ

The MXT isn't any good in mineralized Soil. Like Greaterville.

I feel that this needs just a bit of clarification.

I've never been out to Greaterville, so I can't comment on how mineralized the soil there is. But any VLF machine is going to have fits in highly mineralized soil. Fortunately in California, Tom, there are many places where gold can be found in moderately mineralized soil, which means a VLF machine like the MXT is not only going to work smoothly but it will find gold as well.

I've owned the MXT and have used it up in the Sierra Nevada mountains in Plumas county. It worked just fine. I've used it in the Mojave desert near Goler Gulch and Randsburg areas. Again, it worked just fine. I have found gold in both these places, and the MXT ran very smooth so long as the gain was not cranked to the max.

The MXT will also find fly speck sized gold even with the 10" elliptical coil once you learn to listen carefully to the threshold. I had the smaller 6" but never seemed to really need it except when coin or jewelry shooting in sand boxes and playgrounds.

Hope this helps.

Ray