Nugget Shooter Forums

tailings

I have attached a couple of pics, of what I think are tailings. As they are not very far from a well known mine, I would think that they are. Now I know that the only "tailings", I have any experience with are the ones I post as my avatar. But after reading some on these types of talings and what others have posted here on this site, can you smart guys tell me if tailings are really worth the effort? :confused0013: There are about 5 piles like the 2 that I have posted. They look rather untouched, should I say, they are still in a pile?!

So whats the scoop? Should I run the old Gold Bug over them? :ROFL: Or will I just be doing it for practice? :icon_mrgreen:

post-21685-1231115269_thumb.jpg

post-21685-1231115346_thumb.jpg

Hi Sonny

Tailings can be incredible finds and build a sizable poke very quickly :woohoo: . They can also be just look see's were the old timer was just trying to see were faults or contacts might be :Huh_anim]: . I try to look for areas that were infact worked for gold either milled on site or sorted and hauled ou :hmmmmmm: t. There are lots of those holes in the Arivaca area many were just look see's but they are in the area of specimen or very course finds :confused0013: . At least that what I think :innocent0009: !! Some old timer found a specimen and traded it for a case of dynamite lookin for the mother lode :laught16: . Hence all the shallow hole on the hill sides :angry-smiley-010: . :twocents: Happy Huntin John B.

Thanks John, Yes gold was milled next to this site. The site is closed now, but perhaps I will wander over and run the detector over the piles and see if anything goes off. :woohoo:

Hey anyone...do these at least look :ph34r2: like tailing piles?

Yes and no. They seem odd because of the fact that there are so many different sizes of rocks in the pile. Usually you see some sort of uniformity in the material worked. Then again they may be the toss away rock in that case they should be right next to the hole since no one would haul useless material. Those are my opinions, someone else may know more than me.

Very likely, at least worth looking into. The biggest problem w/ working around old mines is the trash usually found. Try those piles, then move down the hill (in a straight line) maybe 50-60 yards and hunt your way back up. Possibly, less trash, and you'd be finding breakoffs and weathered pieces, that are working their way down the hill over the past 100,000 years, from what the old timers found in the spot you show. We've had good luck finding patches and usually will find a mine shaft above.

Good Luck! Shep

I'll tell the wife...

Sonny,

I think Shep gave you some good advice. Take a rake with you and spread them out a little. You never know what you might find.

OL'29er

I keep my Tesoro Lobo ST and a short handled hoe handy for tailing piles, it doesen,t take long to rake them down to detect and a super magnet on the back of the blade will pick out the trash. Yours in the pics do look a little unusual but be maybe in fact mine run material that was never processed for on reason or the other.

I would say that the older the pile the better for two reasons, one the methods used by the old timers were not as efficent as we have now ( which is not infalable) and two, there was more acessable gold so they didin't pay as close attention as we might today. Having said that I watched my pardner pick a 3 1/2 OZ nugget off the top of a tailings pile at the Hey Buddie claim in S CA one day 30 minutes after the man who had been drywashing there packed up and left. I check my own drywasher piles!

Max

Hey anyone...do these at least look :ph34r2: like tailing piles?

A garden rake and a Gold Bug (GB2 preferably since it has some hot rock discrimination ability, unlike its older sibling) and a half hour's work invested should tell you what you want to know. Take along a positive attitude but be prepared to encounter lead or steel BBs. Such piles often are used as a target back stop. Also take a good sized magnet if you have one -- in case the pile is contaminated with decomposing screening, rust particles or tacks. Regardless, the practice you will get doing the recoveries should hone your skills for the better. And, oh yeah -- if you encounter any cracks or crevices remotely resembling your current avatar, you won't be needing a Gold Bug to find the glory hole. Good luck filling your poke.

Thanks Guys! The tailings will be my next project then. Just never thought I would be asking for the piles. :laught16:

The pics look to me to be waste rock from prospect pits and not very mineralized. You will never know until you check of course but I personally wouldn't spend a lot of time on the piles. The area they are in could be worth a longer look but IMHO the piles are unlikely to be worth much effort.

Then again I hope I'm wrong and you find something worthy of your time.

gotcha thanks...I will ask around. Buckshot isnt my favorite.

Try looking into this. I don't have a lot of time right now plus I feel like crap but I am sure other will go into this a little

more in depth. Use the zoom button and zoom into areas that you want to check out. On the right hand side under Layers

check on the Active mining labels.

Claims

Rich

I have attached a couple of pics, of what I think are tailings. As they are not very far from a well known mine, I would think that they are. Now I know that the only "tailings", I have any experience with are the ones I post as my avatar. But after reading some on these types of talings and what others have posted here on this site, can you smart guys tell me if tailings are really worth the effort? :confused0013: There are about 5 piles like the 2 that I have posted. They look rather untouched, should I say, they are still in a pile?!

So whats the scoop? Should I run the old Gold Bug over them? :ROFL: Or will I just be doing it for practice? :icon_mrgreen:

Sonny I love tailing piles. I would give it a go ole chap.

Thanks Garimpo....that gives me heart!

I wouldnt mind being half as productive as you. :bowdown:

Squirt Gun? I thought that was mining equipment used to break up ricks? :laught16: