Nugget Shooter Forums

Meteor shower

Hi Gang, just thought I would post this about the shower tomorrow night. One can also listen to the meteors, instead of going out in the cold. It's pretty cool to hear them "ping". Spaceweather has a link for listening to meteor scatter. Jason :;):

Hot times for a cold-weather shower

January's frigid weather hosts one of 2009's best meteor showers. The Quadrantids peak before dawn January 3, when sharp-eyed observers may catch up to 100 meteors per hour. The shower's peak typically lasts only a couple of hours.

This shower's radiant lies in Boötes, in a region once belonging to the now-defunct constellation Quadrans Muralis. The radiant rises before midnight local time, but it doesn't climb above 30° until about 3 a.m. Try to observe between then and dawn. The waxing crescent Moon sets before midnight and won't interfere.

To view the shower, pick an observing site away from the city. Dress warmly and bring along some hot coffee or tea to drink.

http://spaceweather.com

http://spaceweatherradio.com/

http://www.spaceweather.com/images2009/03j...quadrantids.gif

Thanks for the info Jason, I have to get up at 3 am with my wife as she gets ready for work.

and now I got something to do when she leaves. :laught16:

Hi Gang, just thought I would post this about the shower tomorrow night. One can also listen to the meteors, instead of going out in the cold. It's pretty cool to hear them "ping". Spaceweather has a link for listening to meteor scatter. Jason :;):

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Jason, I'll be out there looking to the North-East with my trusty Nikon F-5..... :coffeetime:

best wishes for the New Year, jim "bones" :outtahere:

Hi Jason,

I got up at 3 AM to watch the shower. There were quite a few meteorites but not many bright enough to be caught on film. I also used my digital camera. It captured the stars but no meteorites. I'll be glad when I get my 6x7 (medium format) system up and running. I hope to capture some of these babies on film.... :coffeetime:

How did you do ??? wishing you a wonderful year, :icon_mrgreen:

jim "bones" :outtahere:

Jim, I watched from about 11:30 until about 1:30, but listened and recorded on the computer and heard some real nice ones until this morning. The clouds rolled in a little before 1 and I called it a night. Some people on the metlist saw some nice ones though. Jason :;):

Hi Guys,

I watched this morning from 03:45 to 04:30. I only saw three bright/large ones, the other seven were like thin, silvery threads. Maybe it's the big-city light pollution or the haze, but the ones that I saw only traveled south or west from the radiant. It was cold, so I went back to bed.

Ben