Nugget Shooter Forums

Dry Lake Hunting Dec 31, 2008

Hi Gang, well what better way to end the 2008 than going dry lake hunting with the wife and kids :Huh_anim]: . I know, I know, most would consider it taboo to such a thing, but I said what the heck and had a blast. Upon arriving at the dry lake I proceeded to set things up, get everyone their meteorite canes and prepare a loose game plan :smrt1: . Needless to say, we were not there more than five minutes, truly, five minutes and my wife Annette says, "Hey, is this a meteorite?" :hmmmmmm: Ok, I'm thinking she's just pulling my leg and giving me some, well, back sass, but low and behold, she found a 1.5gr small piece :wubu: . I was DUMBFOUNDED to say the least :PO2: . I took the piece and looked it over, put a small window in it and said, "Yup, it sure is!", with a bit of under grumblings as I walked away. I could not believe it, but was proud of her finding it, first time out, and so fast. I guess it was beginners luck.

So, for the next several hours, I walked around the lake and actually found two small fragments as well :tisc-tisc: . These were in an area where others have been found before from what I can tell because of the tell-tale signs of previous hunters on the lake.

All in all, we had fun, ate lunch there with a make-shift picnic of MRE's :chowtime: :WOW: and such and ended the year on a high note for meteorite hunting. I'm still in shock, but now I know I have a good "look" charm.

The weights are: 1.5gr, 0.8gr, and 1.0gr. Jason :;):

DSC05738-1.jpg

DSC05737.jpg

DSC05727.jpg

DSC05731.jpg

Jayray,

Good pics, congrats!

Now some questions from a newbie to meteroite hunting. I have read all the posts about hunting dry lakes and have built the cane but are any found buried in dry lakes or do they all "Float" ?

Question #2 Has anyone ever hunted dry lakes in Baja? There are some miles across. I have drove asross them but meteroites never crossed my mind, only thing I ever found was a twin engine airplane.

Max

Aloha Jason,

Gee, I still remember following you out to Franconia my first time out and finding my 300.4gram piece. YOU DA MAN as far as I am concerned. Good luck charm? You sure are dude!

Aloha and be safe out there.

Stan aka Kaimi

BTW, was this dry lake out by Primm?

Stan, no it wasn't Primm. I've hunted there and it is pretty hard to hunt due to all the material on/around the lake :zapped: . This was a spot that was recommended by another forumite :ph34r2: . Thanks Sonny... Jason :;):

Hi Jason,

Congratulations on your Dry lake finds. Special congrats to your wife on her very first meteorite! I am envious of you all as Erik and I have yet to make a dry lake find. This is shaping up to be an awesome hunting season.

Ben

Ben, for some reason though, I've tried to convince her about going out again, and she stated that she's retired. After only one meteorite, I guess she wanted to end her "meteorite career" on a positive note. Also, she didn't like the idea of getting skunked and coming home empty handed... Jason :;):

Max, as for meteorites in Baja, I'm sure they are there too. One just has to get out and look and try to go where others have not. That will definitely increase your chances.

I don't go there either any more, I spent several years off and on gold prospecting, rock hounding, running an adventure tour business and a recreational prospecting operation but the economy and crime conditions ended all of that!

My original question was "Are meteroites found buried in dry lakes" , or all of them found on the surface ?

A new question: Would one of those 6 foot long nail pickup magnets actract meteroites? You counld rig it on an ATV/UTV with a boom to maintain a certain ground height and tow it for miles on the "Desert Pavement" of southern AZ and CA. They certainly work well for nails and screws.

Max

Max-

I'm sure there's plenty of meteorites in Baja. I wouldn't want to hunt there myself given all the crime and troubles in that country. :escape: :escape: But then - maybe you know something I don't.

Steve

Max, I'd have to agree with FL and go with some type of Rare Earth magnets. I have several different types, but the stronger the pull the better off you'll be. Most use N42 or higher, which means a stronger pull. Also, dragging a device around the desert pavement would work, but you would want to check it often, probably too often to really do any good on an ATV. The best advice I can give is to just get out there and look. Bigger is better, but not necessarily better in the sense of finding meteorites, that takes practice and some patience, but more of the latter. Good luck and keep looking, I know I am... Jason :;):

Also, check out my Ultimate Meteorite cane in the DIY section of the forum. It works, but I wish I'd used stronger magnets. The bottom has to right on the surface of the ground. To answer your last question, some meteorites are buried on the dry lake and some are not. If they have been there for some time they probably will be, while others are exposed by the weathering of the lake, i.e. rains, winds, etc. Unless they are a new fall, in which they will be on the surface.

Wow Jayray you finally nailed dry lake bed hunting and your wife had to show you how to do it! :laught16: Seriously congrats my friend. :whoopie: It can get just as addicting as hunting with a detector.

It was fun finally getting the chance to hunt with you out at Gold Basin, thanks for coming out. I'll be making a post probably tomorrow of my vacation with many pics, so keep your eyes peeled.

Del

Del, it was fun, both hunting GB and the dry lake. I guess it just took some fresh eyes to see probably what was there for quite some time on the dry lake. Can't wait to see the pics... Jason :;):

Hats off to you my Friend (Congrats!!!) see all this time all you had to do was have your wife show you how its done LOL!

But really congrats to both of you, it feels good to find a meteorite by eye alone.

If ever you want to hunt a CA dry lake bed give a call, will do it.

Mike

Mike, it was fun hunting with the family, but the MRE picnic I could do with out :pukes: . Not that they are bad, but I've had my fill of them for a while :tisc-tisc: . And 'Yes' we will get together to do some CA hunting, sometime... plus I still need to find that first nugget. Jason :;):