Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold Bug 2 specks

jagdoctor1

Well Al C's post about his nugget with the GB2 got me off my but to take some pics of what I found the other day. As I improve with the detector I revisit places I've been and try to see what improvement I've made. This trip showed me a world of improvement. Overall 9 targets were detected and some of the gold in the rocks is so small it can't even be called solid gold. The GB2 Knew there was gold in there though. These are the more photogenic peices. My camera skills and camera are not that great but you get the idea. This is some small stuff. post-15623-1230676765_thumb.jpg

Here are some pics of the coolest peice. It's not so small.

post-15623-1230676831_thumb.jpg

post-15623-1230676857_thumb.jpg

Below is a weird pic. This is what happens when you put your finger over the flash lol. :hmmmmmm: Kinda neat.

post-15623-1230676919_thumb.jpg

It was awesome getting so many cool targets so fast. I worked this spot over very carefully. One of the rocks was almost baseball sized and would only register on one side. So imagine me out there turning all of the larger rocks over one at a time and detecting each side lol. A good end to 2008 :whoopie:

Yeah, I fought with that... took tons of pictures. That first pic with the cd cover is supposed to show that but didn't work out to well. I figured out hwo to turn my flash off and got this pic that came out pretty nice. These are the smaller ones including the one in the closeups above. post-15623-1230679319_thumb.jpg

So excuse my ignorance, but I have asked about quartz before. Are there specific types of quartz that gold can be in?

Someone, Bedrock Bob or someone, told me the Quartz is supposed to have a ruddy color in it for more chance of gold.

I have a place that I have in mind that I have found a lot of quartz just lying around and embedded in the ground. I am a good boy and dig every signal, but its bullet casings so far. But I hesitate to give up on the spot.

Bedrock Bob's explanation of cinnamon or nutmeg looking area's is the best I've heard/read for what I've noticed in hardrock. Now as with all things what Bob said is a generalisation. There are beutifull white peices of quartz out there with gold in them. It's less common though. Usually I look for the most vuggy dirty looking peices of the quarts to find gold. Since this gold generally occurs in vuggy broken type quarts it seperates from the quartz as it travels. So most solid peices of quartz on the desert floor are "unlikely" to have gold. As you can see the peices of quartz you see in my pics are very unsolid and have lotso pockets and holes. I'll try to post some pics later of some of this ore for you. Also you see the brown staining on them. These have been in CLR already to get most of the rusty cinnamony type stuff off of them.

Thanks Jag, I would appreciate that. Also the quartz I am seeing is very ruddy. I dont know maybe I am barking up the wrong mesquite bush...but I just have a feeling about this area.

Hey those are interesting pieces - some of the quartz seems to be more like chalcedony (a form of quartz that is less common to have gold) with a bubbly type of surface. Chalcedony sometimes makes up fire agate if it has enough iron.

Chris

post-187-1230688143_thumb.jpg

Now speaking of that, I have found a lot of Chalcedony where I am currently hunting. Some of the pieces are kinda pretty.

My daughters are making sandwiches during a break from our movie so quickly I will say that yes Reno I noticed that myself. I though it odd but also knew that that was the only peice like that. Most other peices are sharp and angular or just pockets of hardrock. I'll also say that some really neato quartz crystals have come out of these tailings. Nothing big and spectacular but the kids love digging through for them.

Thanks for posting those pics Reno those are awesome. I still havn't made it to the fire agate place in Palo Verde yet but plan too.

P.S. Sonny, I read the message on your profile and congradulations on your new resolve. Don't get to serious about it. I'll post some links and pics for you later.

Guest bedrock bob

Hey Jagdoctor!

Looks like you have figured that one out really well. I have a handfull of those litte "chispas" that look just like yours! I will post some pics of the ore/quartz I was talking about in the previous thread. I recieved a lot of questions on "hematite gossan" and it just so happens I have a few buckets sitting in a snowdrift outside the barn. I will do a photo expose in the next few days and maybe it will clear it up for folks.

You are corect that the "pitted" and "rotten" quartz is the most likely to have gold, IN GENERAL. It comes from the part of the vein that carries the metal and this metal is oxidized in the free gold zone. Rotten as hell. These metals are usually iron, manganese, aresenic, etc.etc. and are a powder when they are fully oxidized, therefore the wash out and create a lot of holes in the quartz and a lot of staining. Looks just like red chile powder. In situ this red powder invades the quartz and is usually more prevalent than quartz where the gold is rich. The "solid quartz" section of a vein USUALLY has less gold, less metals, and is near the country rock at the contact of the vein. This is just from my limited experience digging on my limited prospects, but I have been told by several old miners that this is the way they understand it too.

I believe that hardrock gold is so beautiful. Never weathered, all crystalized and wild looking. Never saw the sun until you split the rock and took that first peek. You are in a good spot and will find more of that man! When you find hardrock gold your take goes WAY up and your work goes WAY down.

Look for those veins that the shafts are on and work the crap out of them. Most of the time a miner would go down and under a blocked out section of ore and stope back up toward the surface pulling it down. They left a lot right on the surface. If your area is anyhting like mine you will see the strikes running along the surface between the holes. Shovel them clean and run your detector along them. You will find a lot more in an area that holds float like you have found. Be careful working along those strikes as often the miners have hollowed out under them. Once you know what the ore looks like you can do well by just picking it up and putting it in buckets and crushing it. You would be surprised at how much fine gold there is that you cant detect!

I hope you find a bunch more and I know you will. You have found its home! Good job my friend!

Bedrock Bob

Super nice finds. Great specie. Along the lines of what Bedrock Bob was describing, sometimes the iron content in the gossan is great enough to be magnetically attractive. Some time back I posted some pictures of "magnetic" gold nuggets (sticking to a magnet) that 29 Prospector and I came upon in the Twentynine Palms vicinity. This is caused by the iron rich gossan residue remaining in the crevices and contours of the crystalline nuggets. Keep that Bug2 sniffing 'em out!!

I collect Pink Floyd cd's and I missed my chance to get that cd a few times when deciding to get other cd's that I wanted. Then when I was ready to by the symphonic it was no where to be found. This was a gift from a friend who knew I was looking for it. I am not sure where they got it but I don't believe it should be to hard to find in a decent sized city. It is an awesome cd. Truly one of my favorites. I went drywashing for a few hours today. Only a few flyspecs... It's still frickin wet out there too.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright Sonny.. Really sorry for taking so long to get to this. I had wanted to get over to Quartzite AZ to get some pics of the ore by the hardrock mine there for you to go with these but never made it and decided to go ahead and post what I have. On that note you may want to realise that simply researching some hardrock mines and going to them and looking at the ore is helpfull.

post-15623-1231990311_thumb.jpg

This first picture is an example of what I call vuggy. This particular peice came from a hardrock gold mine but this peice seems to be very rich in silver. I have in this peice seen a spot of gold and also a few of copper.

post-15623-1231990798_thumb.jpg

The secong pic shows a different type of vuggy mineralised spot in some quartz. This is the kind of pocket some of the gold in the pics above was in. This ore and the next picture are from the site where the above shown gold came from by the way.

post-15623-1231990983_thumb.jpg

The third picture is a larger pic of some of the ore from the location the above gold came from. It shows the purple viened quartz and some of the vuggy pockets that the gold might be found in.

post-15623-1231991119_thumb.jpg

The fourth picture with some of the vuggy pockets and some of the cinnomen/nutmeg colored mineralisation.

Now realise... This is a ceartain ore from a particular set of mountains.. The ore can look very different in different areas. The ore I wanted to post form Quartzite AZ looks quite different from this ore. It is more uniformly white and has more cinnomen/rusty looking pockets. The pockets are very distinct and the ore is odd to me since that area is new to me. Once you are lucky enough to detect some gold in some of the ore of a location then you get a great insite into what the "best" ore looks like. The ore that carries visible gold can be 2 inches away from the ore that does not but have a very minor distinction. You will only learn the distinction of that ore by working with that ore.

Didn't Bedrock Bob say he was gonna post some pics???? :innocent0009:

Not trying to harass you dude but I'm excited to see them.

JDoc.....Thanks for the pics. I see what you mean about the quartz. So the surronding area influences the shall we say vugginess of the quartz? I have to tell you, the area that I am looking in has a lot of quartz that looks like that. It also has a lot of chalcadony there too. But I read somewhere here that rarely would I find any gold with quartz that is at the surface, because it has fallen off from moving around. Now that makes sense to me.

I know that Bedrock has had a lot of things going on lately in his part of the world, so I am sure he will post some pics when he can.

Again Thanks for the great pics and explanation. I will study more on it and perhaps post some pics for you to take a look at.

Well the geographic location will determine the mineralisation of the quartz. Thus the vuggyness may look different. My point was that you can find mineralised quartz that looks much different than what I showed that can be good for gold. That is a big part of why I like exploring hardrock mines. I get an idea of what they were looking for in that area.

I got you some more pics coming Sonny, I'd post them now but i have to go prospecting :whoopie: I drywashed abunch of material yesterday and have most of the crap out of the way so I'm excited to get to the good stuff. They say it's gonna rain Wed... :grrr01:

Guest bedrock bob
Didn't Bedrock Bob say he was gonna post some pics???? :innocent0009:

Not trying to harass you dude but I'm excited to see them.

Man I am up to my a$$ in alligators over here, but I will take some photos very soon. I was going to spend a day crushing and using the little rocker box and taking some photos of the ore and the recovery, but instead I am 300 miles away guarding my claim and running off looky loos...

It seems there was a buttload of gold taken out just below my place and the finders are finished with the operation. They have taken up drinking and bragging for a living and I am on security duty. I am driving more miles than a trucker trying to keep up the 8-5 and chase off a bunch of tenderfeet that think they are going to come out and get rich in ten minutes.

Those boys did have a good operation though, and they were paid well for their time. Packed it over the hill in a small coffee can. What a sight! They should help me out on securtiy now though since they have started a gold rush.

Bob

Crazy man. I hope that works out for you... There has to be some ingenious simple way to solve that. Maybe a few dead bodies laying just over your claim lines.... While your out there make sure you move some dirt and find some gold. No point being there if your not going to get some gold lol.

Bedrock Bob.

Jagdoctor's post #24 gave me an interesting idea. You folks who are actualy on the ground down there can tell me if I am just chasing clouds or if I have an idea that might work. My idea is this. Many of you down there say that you are having problems with claim jumpers poaching on your claims or property. Would it be possible for those of you who are either retired, out of work or spend a lot of time in the field to help each other out with sentry duty? It seems to me that it might be possible for you to assist each other in return for the privelage of working each other's claims. That way each claim could have one of the sentry group on it to protect your mineral rights and that sentry's time wouldn't be wasted with downtime. The claim owner gets his or her claim protected and the sentry might get a few nuggets to compensate him or her for his or her time and effort. Sort of the way that I understand that it is on your prospecting club group claims. I realise that not every claim could be protected all of the time in this way but perhaps the most promising ones could. Although, I do like the dead body idea too. Your thoughts?

Cheers, lvlagnum.