Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold Bug 2 vs GMT

Guest bedrock bob
I have heard that the Gold Bug 2 might be "just as good if not better" then the GMT. Is this true? I want a good detector at a good cost to start with.

I have used a GBII for several years. I also have an old Whites GM2. I only have experience with irons and gold, so here is my two cents...

The GBII is more sensitive but the old Whites will go slightlly deeper on a larger object. The GBII had durability problems with the coil. They go out regularly and this is a pain in the posterior. Whites has always been a solid machine and I have never had a problem. For gold I am convinced that the GBII is the better machine (coil problems notwithstanding) on super small targets. On irons that I have found there is NO DIFFERENCE that I can tell. We are not talking flakes here. If we were the GBII would probably be better.

The Whites would be my choice if I were to buy a new detector, BUT.... They are big and have that silly screen mounted on the pole. I travel light and hunt underground in close quarters and I use a home made PVC shaft (a 12" shaft for the small coil). I believe that the whites with the TWO circuitry boxes would be a pain to mount this way and cause a bunch of problems down in a cramped hole with the stock pole. For meteorites it would not be an issue, but even above ground the light pole and the box mounted in a camera bag over the shoulder is my usual setup. I am not convinced yet to go any other way.

I know lots of folks praise the new Whites and I would bet it is a fine machine. For convinience and portability I believe the gold bug is groovy and any old machine with a single circuit box suits me just fine. How they react to the various types of H and L meteorites I could not say, but on irons there should be no problem getting one with just about any detector within reason. Or at least that has been my limited experience.

I have been in the market for a new detector for several years but have yet to find one that could out perform the GBII and justify the cost. When I look at them and see that I am going to have to hold and swing all that hardware around, and not be able to throw it down on the ground to dig, I always decide to just stay with the GBII. I would tear off that screen on the pole in an hour and the circuit box would be full of fine dust in a week. If the new Whites did not have the screen on the pole I would have bought one the first day they came out. It seems like a great machine.

Still, with my old GM2 there is precious little difference in detection depth and target size when compared to the GBII. It is there but not much. I still can find almost as many nuggets with the old Whites, and it seems to be a lot better in bad ground, although target response is diminished a little. I have found all of my irons with the Whites because I can tune it quieter and swing faster without missing targets, so I wind up covering more ground. I suppose that I could turn down the GBII and get the same results, but this is just the way I have gotten used to doing it.

Bedrock Bob

Bedrock Bob

I have heard that the Gold Bug 2 might be "just as good if not better" then the GMT. Is this true? I want a good detector at a good cost to start with.

The same can be said about the GMT, "just as good if not better" than the GB2.

I am a fan of the GMT, have both a hip/chest mount version and a stick mount.

The GB2 can be removed from the shaft and used as a hip/chest unit, both detectors have the same coil selection. Both will find pin head gold. Both are good meteorite detectors.

Both run about the same price, new or used. I take it that Santa did not bring you the GMT that you talked about in previous posts.

The main consideration to make when buying your first detector........ Will the detector do all the things that you want it to do? Both the GMT and GB2 are designed as gold machines with sensitivity to shallow gold and very small gold. Both detectors will locate the majority of locatable meteorites.

If coin and relic hunting is also something that you might want to do, a multi-purpose detector would be the way to go. The Minelab Xterra 70 is a great detector for most every type detecting. Price wise, it is compatable with the GMT and GB2. If you want something that will go deeper than the standard VLF detector, then you might consider picking up a used Minelab PI, such as the SD2100 or 2200. A GP extreme is also in the same price range + a few dollars as a new VLF. There again, the PI's are pretty much only good for hunting gold and meteorites. Do not get me wrong, they will find coins and relics, but at the same time they will find all the other pieces of junk that you do not want.

Best to use a detector that is designed for your purpose.

Jim

Guest bedrock bob

Jim,

Can you take the screen off the GMT? I thought that it would be a hassle to tune if the screen part was in a bag with the box, and I am not big on the chest harness (too much other stuff strapped to me). If there are solutions to this problem then I may just research this further! I just took a look at the machine and how it was mounted and made an assumption that may have been wrong.

This has been my main problem with Minelab machines (bulk, expense, complex), although I must admit that the SD 2100 is interesting. I believe that they would be a viable alternative to the 4500 (I just cant find THAT much gold) and a great replacement for the bug. I like to have all of the "stuff" covered up in a closeable camera bag to keep it uncrunched and clean when underground, and protected when thrashing through the brush.

Hey, if any of you GMT guys have mounted your machines in a similar fashion I sure would like to hear about it!

Bob

Bob,

I got one of the first GMT's that Whites put out, back then they made a limited edition of the chest/hip mount. It does have the display pod on it. I use it as a hip mount and hang my earphones on the pod when not in use. I have not considered doing a rebuild on either of my GMT's, would probably botch the job and be out a good detector.

Here is a link to one of the GMT rebuilds. I did have several in my old favorites that got messed up when my old computer pretty much bit the dust.

The chest/hip version is pictured in these rebuild directions by Steve Herschbach.

http://www.recminer.com/guides/whites_gold...gmt_rebuild.htm

Jim

Just a quick note. I agree with most of what has been said on this thread. In my experience, though, I never have had a problem with the GB2 coils. And I've used them in water a lot, where defects will show up quick. I do replace the skid plates fairly often. They wear out quicker than you think and are not terribly expensive. Maybe that has been helping me to preempt problems. The stock Fisher headphones suck big time and require more maintenance effort than they are worth. Just invest in some quality headphones at the outset and save yourself the grief. The thing I like best about the venerable GB2 with the small coil is that it serves as the best all around tool I have for the micro end of the gold hobby. Can't say anything about meteorites since they are not something I've had much occasion to hunt. Once, out in Gold Basin, Paleface said the few I thought I found were magnetite. The Whites GM2 and GM3 (contemporaries of the GB2) are quite rugged and are capable of finding very small gold. But, for me, they are clunkers design-wise and and weight-wise to achieve that specific purpose. In a fishing analogy, if I'm going for coho or trout with 2 lb mono, why would I match that with a larger rod or heavier reel than necessary? But, for other than the micro spectrum, there are better detector choices to be considered. The more recently developed GMT certainly would be a good one to consider.

I think the original Gold bug coil-wire tended to harden but I did not have that problem with my GB2...I am with Micro the GB2 gets the edge for tiny gold and weight of detector...However knowing what I do now I would go for the Whites GMt for gold and meteorites...if coins are also of interest I would opt for the Xterra-70 or the multi-purpose Whites already mentioned...

no one tool does every job well...or, there is no one perfect detector for every use.

Fred

btw...you will need a powder scale and magnifiers to see some of the gold found with a GB2

Guest bedrock bob

I have always used a coil cover. Never have lowered the coil to the ground without one. My coils will either chatter (bad wire) or fail to ground balance (turn the knob all the way up and it is still too "cold"). They will replace them once, but after that you are on your own. I believe I have replaced the mid sized coil five times in five years and the smaller coil once (I generally use the small coil the most). My last replacement coil was bad from the factory, or at least went bad the first time I used it. I have even sent the circuit box back in to see if there was a fault there that damaged the coils... Nada.

The sales lady at Kellyco said that it is a common gripe. They are great and give excellent service but I am getting tired of the problems. The Bug is a great machine and suits me fine for what I do with it. I do wish that I could detect a lot deeper, but the added cost of a new machine, especially a new PI, would negate any profits for a long time to come. If I were doing it full time or as an only hobby I would definitely go with a Minelab PI. With turkey gobbling, elk bugling, and the trout jumping into the boat I can only devote so much time to searching, so unless I can find an economical alternative to the Bug and the old Whites I will settle for what I have now.

I figure there is a lot to consider other than performance in my case. If all of my time and "mad money" went to prospecting and meteorite huting I certainly would have a top of the line machine. Until then I will settle for Remington over Weatherby, Mossberg over Beretta, a public land hunt over an outfitted hunt, and Fisher over Minelab. I will be wearing the cheap sunglasses and fishing from an old leaky boat too.

Bob