Nugget Shooter Forums

Vulture Mine Iron????

Yo All...In an area I've found a couple other meteorites (but not posted) I just found this totally different object....I think it is an iron in an area that is not known for them...Here's a few pix....It is very heavy & dense and magnetic ...265 Grams..... There's little lines in the buffed out part, but I don't have fine enough grit on my grinders to really get the high polish... It looks almost like stainless steel....What's your thoughts???? Cheers, Unc

post-9-1229394439_thumb.jpg

post-9-1229394494_thumb.jpg

Hi Ron

I don't want to dissapoint you but the only way for certain you'll know anything is to have about a 1/2 gram of it asseyed for Nickle. The exterior of your find looks to grainy and is probably something other than a space rock, but it could be weathering too !! An assey is simple and should set you back less than 20 bucks. If it's a meteorite it will have 4% or highrt Ni content !! Good luck. Happy Huntin John B.

Yo John...I'm ready to have the assay done, but I don't know how to do it... Where can I send it to get it done without the hoopla of the University?....

I've found lots of rusty rocks before that you and I have discussed but this one is different...Thanks for your help on it...Cheers, Ron

Hi Ron

I don't want to dissapoint you but the only way for certain you'll know anything is to have about a 1/2 gram of it asseyed for Nickle. The exterior of your find looks to grainy and is probably something other than a space rock, but it could be weathering too !! An assey is simple and should set you back less than 20 bucks. If it's a meteorite it will have 4% or highrt Ni content !! Good luck. Happy Huntin John B.

John,

Quick question, you said if it had 4% Ni or higher it was probably a meteorite. If this piece he is showing were man-made, rusted iron or slag....does rusted, man made iron and slag have less than 4% Ni?

Just curious as I don't know,

Thanks,

Joe

Hi Ron , Sonny , Digitrich and All

5% nickle content is a rule but there are some with slightly less nickle :smrt1: . Most scrap iron will contain some NI but it will be a few parts per million usually less than 1% :shrug: . Sonny not all of us are as world renouwned hunters as you :bowdown: !! When we go to a university they probably won't spend much time lookin at our crap without an assay as they would treat you :nutty: . When you arrive they crack out the cheeze ,bon bons ,caviar and champain of course after the red carpet is rolled out :woohoo: !! Heck last time I was at ASU with Goldstudmuffin we had to sneak in :outtahere: !! Ron forget etching for patterns or discolorations cause you still don't know what the F#$& your lookin at :Huh_anim]: . I'm certain in Wickenburg there is at least one Assay office listed in you phone book :unsure: . Call them and ask them what they charge and how long it will take for a simple Nickle assay :confused0013: . In Tucson it's between 12 and 20 bucks and will take about a week to get the results back :broke: . Then you'll know what you got and if the NI is high enough the labs will talk to you :innocent0002: !! Happy Huntin John B.