Nugget Shooter Forums

Alright alright... here's the Franconia outing post!

Alright here's the post guys. Even though Paul should get this since he scored the most. Mike and Paul both have been pretty busy these days so I'll get this started. Maybe if they have the time you'll get to see their finds.

The weather was perfect over the weekend, though a little chilli at night. AZdigger Rick, Big Jeff, Mike, Paul, Nate and myself were the only people to camp out for the weekend. Rick and Jeff left sometime on Saturday. I have to say Big Jeff makes some bomb-ass Jalapeño Poppers, thanks Jeff!

Mike Paul and myself headed out nice and early on saturday for a full day hunt. Mr. Jim Smaller drove all the way out to BS around the campfire with Mike, Paul (I think I'm just gonna start calling them the twins! :laught16: ) , Nate and myself on saturday night. Thanks for coming out Jim, it's always a pleasure to BS with you. Sunday, Nate, the Twins and myself tried hunting the Southside and didn't do to well. Oh well thats just the way it goes. :shrug:

Here's the pics-

A 68.3 grammer

683GrammerIn-situ.jpg

The close up

683-Grammer-close-up.jpg

A 93.1 grammer

931-Grammer-in-situ.jpg

The close up

931-Grammer-close-up.jpg

Here's my take for the weekend-

Franconia-12-6-2008.jpg

3 Chondrites- 1.184g, 68.3g, and 93.1 grams, totaling 162.58 grams

1 Iron

I have to admit it's getting a little harder to find them out there but hey thats just the way it is. It was fun seeing everybody who showed up. I'll see you all at the next one!

Del

Del, that second one is a pretty Franconia... Lots of character, glad you guys had a great time. Did you feel the quake at all? 5.5 just outside of Ludlow on Friday night, we heard it as we were traveling the 40 to Williams. Nice pics. Jason :;):

Aloha,

Del: Did you grid the area for the other pieces off the 93 grammer. It looks like there might be several pieces still waiting for you out there. :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

I still am missing a small piece from my large NWA(not western africa) 2-piece I found earlier this year. Am still looking tho. Good luck with finding the rest of the pieces.

Yes, it is getting harder and harder each visit to find decent size meteorites. Just have to go farther north thats all. Because they are out there. :innocent0009:

May give it one more try before the end of the year tho.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Ok here we go ............ let me know if you can see theese

approx 20 grams

post-1574-1229137196.jpg

small fragment of next piece approx 5 grams

post-1574-1229137232.jpg

just over 100 grams

post-1574-1229137256.jpg

approx 15 grams

post-1574-1229137292.jpg

approx 15 grams

post-1574-1229137314.jpg

approx 20 grams

post-1574-1229137340.jpg

approx 10 grams

post-1574-1229137362.jpg

150 + grammer in situ

post-1574-1229137379.jpg

150 + grammer in hand

post-1574-1229137467.jpg

8 chondrites and 1 iron total

Thanks for the kind words Jason but you know as well as I that you just have to put your coil in the right spot. It is getting pretty thin out there and I think luck has alot more to do with it now.

Hope to see ya soon my friend

Paul

Aloha,

Yep, just as I figured! You are one lucky guy when it comes to finding them meteorites. BUT some guys say it is ALL experience. HA!!

The real experience shows when you run over a meteorite and realize it by the sound your detector makes and your ears tell your brain :woohoo: :woohoo: GOT ONE!!

Obviously you are definitely in tune to your detector. Nice work and good hunting.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

I really wanted to go...

Wow you guy did fantastic!

Must have added some milage your boots!

After the holidays i wont be working weekends

so I'll be doing alot of hunting. Hopefully i can

hunt with you guys again because it's

been a while.

Del, thanks for the help referencing the Metbul

when i was on that lake bed. Thanksgiving evening

we visited Sonny and he showed a little interest in the

stone but when I windowed it, it turned out to just be

a ventifact made of basalt. The whole Nevada trip was

a skunk but no matter where we hunted I couldn't find

a hot rock to save my life! Very nice hunting.

[Erik]

Paul it amazes me what your capable of in 8-10 hours of hunting, way to go man!

Jason, hey out here in Cali the small earthquakes are nothing. The one in Ludlow was enough to rattle your nerves a little, but not enough to be a huge concern. If you were driving you probably would not have felt it at all. Besides I think I was already at Franconia when it hit.

Erik, like I've told you before kid, I've seen you successfully hunt Franconia with a cane and the way I see it if your finding meteorites on desert pavement dry lake bed hunting should be a snap for you. Dry lake bed hunting is a completely different ball game but once you start getting some they'll blow your mind away how different the meteorites can be from one another. I think you just have to learn how to put yourself in the right ground (Ice Rafting) and be confident thery're there. You'll nail one sooner or later just keep at it. :;):

Del

I met up with Mike, Paul, Nate, and Del at Fanconia on Sunday (12-07-08) a dawn. First, I would like to Thank You for the sample Franconia chondrite and iron to cal my metal detector. Also, thanks for looking over my Sacramento Wash "magnetite" and getting me on the right tract. Went on the south side for a couple of hours and replenished my bullet collection, then took Mike's advice and went the the north for the rest of the day, but zip in the end. Oh Well, there is always next time. It looks like you guys did real good! Great pics! See Ya, Clifton

Del and everyone else:

Way to go everyone - looks like a lot of nice finds. I've been real busy with work and house stuff... ahhh.

Did go out with Rob to a Cali Dry lake and found nothing on Sat.

Well, I'm getting a Sierra Gold Max coil for my GMT for X-mas, so I plan to get out metal detecting a lot more this year/2009.

Nice finds

Greg Stanley

Paul it amazes me what your capable of in 8-10 hours of hunting, way to go man!

Jason, hey out here in Cali the small earthquakes are nothing. The one in Ludlow was enough to rattle your nerves a little, but not enough to be a huge concern. If you were driving you probably would not have felt it at all. Besides I think I was already at Franconia when it hit.

Erik, like I've told you before kid, I've seen you successfully hunt Franconia with a cane and the way I see it if your finding meteorites on desert pavement dry lake bed hunting should be a snap for you. Dry lake bed hunting is a completely different ball game but once you start getting some they'll blow your mind away how different the meteorites can be from one another. I think you just have to learn how to put yourself in the right ground (Ice Rafting) and be confident thery're there. You'll nail one sooner or later just keep at it. :;):

Del

Aloha Greg,

Good to hear you will be getting a LARGE coil for xmas. Now you will just have to go out and start all over again tuning your ears to this coil. BTW, go slower with the bigger coil and back off a "Little" from your previous tunings. Just a hint!! Good luck and expect more finds as you go over previous areas.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Hey Del,

No need to feel like you are late reporting, because look how late I am in reporting my find! :innocent0009:

I was out there on Saturday and Sunday with Bob Verish and our mutual friend, James LaBarbera, but I had to wait until now to get their images and input. I have never posted an image here before, so give me some time to get it right. But in the meanwhile, you all can take a look here to see my find:

<http://www.rocksfromspace.org/December_15_2008.html>

Made my find on Sunday afternoon. It was perfect conditions. It was very cloudy, but it wasn't windy. There was a threat of rain, but it never did - at least not until after we left for the day. The day before, John Wolfe showed me why my metal detector wasn't going to work for meteorites, so I was magnet-cane hunting with my eyes on Sunday. Except for when I made my find...

Story goes like this: After hunting with my cane all morning, I finally caught up with the leader of our little group (Bob Verish) on a high ridge. I got him to stop searching so that he could look at a nice agate I had found. While he was taking a close look at my rock, I grabbed his Whites V-Sat and started swinging the coil. Hadn't gotten any farther than 50 feet when I passed the coil over my find and the detector screamed. Bob was still looking at my rock when he heard the sound from his hijacked detector.

You should have seen the look on his face. :Huh_anim]: He was only a stone's throw away, and I thought that was exactly what he was going to do - with the rock in his hand - right in my direction. :innocent0002:

I wish I hadn't grabbed the detector, because I know I would have found that 372 g space-rock just with my eyes! Then I could have joined the ranks of the Eyeball Hunters along with Erik. :whoopie:

Okay, now I'm going to try and post some images...

fran8-12-07MEW1k.jpg

This is my 372g find. I guess it's a Franconia (H5). The in-situ image was taken by Bob Verish (08-12-07).

fran8-12-07JLB1a.jpg

This image was taken by James LaBarbera. He took the image of his 36.4g find with his cellphone. He found it on Sunday morning.

fran8-12-06RSV1ib.jpg

This is Bob's 1kg find from the SOUTH SIDE. I guess it's a Franconia (H5). The in-situ image was taken by Bob on Saturday morning (08-12-08).

In this last image (by Bob) it shows him holding his 1kg find from Saturday morning.

<http://www.rocksfromspace.org/December_17_2008.html>

I would not have believed it, myself, if we did not actually see him pull it out of the ground.

Leave it to him to call his find "an embarassing fluke". :confused0013:

Bob also said something that was very similar to what Paul D. posted recently : "Finding a meteorite at Franconia is getting less and less a matter of skill, but more and more a matter of Luck!"

:outtahere:

Jeez Moni thats one helluva find! Congrats! You should have got the post! :laught16:

Most of the time when I hunt the southside I end up going to the northside because the pickins are slim down there. But then I've also been told when you find them they're BIG and you verified it for me.

Way to go!

I want to write more but I don't know what to say... I'm jealous too!

Del

PS- you forgot one thing... the GPS coords in the picture! :laught16:

Aloha guys,

What can I say buy BOOYAH!!! :woohoo:

Definitely some awesome finds. Especially finding one that big on the southside.

I guess luck is starting to play a BIG role in finding anything out there nowadays.

Once more, nice job in finding these specimens.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Hey All,

Congratulations to Bob, Moni, Del, Mike and Paul. ( Bob, you might want to consider hiring Native bearers to accompany your safaris to carry your finds! ) Okay, Okay, I'm green with envy, and I can't wait to get this Holiday stuff over with, so I can get back in the field again. Thanks for posting the pics everyone, that's an outstanding outing. Clifton Hang in there, your first meteorite is out there.

Ben

Wow!! Outstanding everyone on the great finds! I would love to find and add a Franconia to my collection one day!

Congrats and great hunting. Great pictures too.

Dean

congratz everyone. those are some incredible finds. i wish i went....lol. oh well maybe santa will get me a detector for christmas...lol. well hopefully i cant get out that way this year. as for now i am going to try my luck at some different dry lakes here in cali. maybe i'll make a cold find this year... hopes...hopes...lol