Nugget Shooter Forums

Super Cold Weather On The Way!

Micro Nugget

Weather forecasters currently are tracking a super cold Siberian air mass with temps around -81F. Too early to say just when and where it will go, but some are saying it is heading for the U.S./Canadian West Coast and could arrive this weekend, followed by a second, even colder wave. This is just a heads up, especially for those who plan to be at higher elevations this weekend. Might get a little nippy.

Guest bedrock bob

-81 degrees? Bring it on!

Here at 9K feet in the Southern Rockies it has been a beautiful indian summer with days topping out in the upper 60's and nights in the upper teens/lower 20's. It has only snowed a couple of times so far. Only about 1 foot of snow so far in the high country above 10K and there should be four. The first system of the winter hit last night and it is snowing right now. It is expected to snow 15" here by tomorrow night. A low of 5 degrees is expected tonight. It may cool down a bit and give us some relief from this heat wave if a huge Siberian storm with -81 degree temps rolled over the mountains. If it gets cold and wet that snowpack builds up to ten feet deep and lasts until mid July. If not things dry out quick in the spring from here all the way to the Gulf of Mexico and alll the way across southern Arizona.

We have had only one normal year in the last ten for rainfall or temperatures. That is like getting one good meal a week instead of ten. I dont know a darn thing about the weather except that we really need all the cold and wet we can get. So bring it on you frigid Siberian storm from hell, lets see what you got!

Bedrock Bob

HOLY FREAKIN' COW...I can't imagine cold like that...I couldn't get out today because it was 63 above here in the gold country around the Dubyah, 140+ degrees warmer than that Siberian blast...Too cold for me...darn dog almost didn't get fed tonight cause I was afraid of freezing to death before I got back in to the house, havin' to fight my way back in through deep drifts of, well, chilly air... :WOW: ...I sure hope none o' that spills on down to the big AZ where 72+ is required at a minimum as far as this ol' sunburned nugget shooter is concerned... :outtahere: :icon_mrgreen: :laught16: Cheers, Yer Mukluked-Up Unc

• 2 weeks later...

Well I guess I'll add a few pictures from this morning here in 29 Palms. You know the hot desert at the 2200 foot level.

OL'29er

post-1169-1229635429_thumb.jpg

post-1169-1229635459_thumb.jpg

post-1169-1229635518_thumb.jpg

post-1169-1229635569_thumb.jpg

Guest bedrock bob

I got a foot on Monday night, another 4" on Tuesday, and it is snowing again right now. It is not cold though, high about 40 degrees with a low in the upper teens. It is not piling up but rather squeezing down into a compact slush. Things are supposed to get down to business tonight. Hopefully we will get a couple of feet of total snow cover by the end of the weekend and it will stick for a while. Once the ground freezes up solid it will pile up and stay that way. We have had half of the equation in the last two years... A little moisture but no cold. It just melts off and does not stick around long enough to get things wet.

Chama got 3 feet and Wolf Creek got another 5 feet of snow so far this week. It is not what is needed or an average by any means but after this horrible 10+ year drouth it is all welcome. When we get a good winter the high country is solid purple with wild irises and wild roses in the spring, and every variety of aster all summer long, with grass waist deep. When we don't, smoke fills the air and thousands of acres burn to a crisp, turning the rivers to a black mush. The difference between the two are just an inch or so of precipitation and a few degrees one way or the other during this time of winter.

So, tonight it is a mountain celebration! Fresh trout and a shot of Patron by the ceadr fire. Tomorrow it will be south to the gold claim to celebrate the high desert with fresh quail and a shot of Patron by the mesquite fire. Any remarkable occurences of yellow or white will be documented and forwarded for your viewing enjoyment. I am hoping the yellow to be coarse and chunky and the white to be fine and dusty.

Bedrock Bob